AT&T to support Personal Hotspot in iOS 4.3, adds iPad postpaid data option

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    desidesdesides Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

The tethering data plan is required to use the hotspot feature. The tethering plan is only allowed with limited data plans. If you want to use the hotspot, your data plan would go from $30 to $25, and you would have to pay $20 for tethering. So, the choice would be $30 for unlimited (no hotspot), or $45 for tethering/hotspot with a limit of 4GB. So, it's a mixed bag.

Got it, thanks. Now if you?ll excuse me, I?m off to barf.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I don't understand the analogy. The post was talking about using the data one already pays for. If i have a 2GB plan on my iphone and a 2gb plan on my ipad, but only use 1GB on either wouldn't it stand to reason that all I need is one 2GB plan?

No. Because the terms of use say you're buying data for one device. The cable TV example goes like this: You pay for "unlimited" use of the included channels. Just because your neighbor isn't watching one of them doesn't give you the right to take the signal for your own use. A cable internet example: Your neighbor pays for unlimited data (for his household). That doesn't mean you can mooch off him because it's "unlimited".

I wish wireless data were billed on pay-as-you-go terms, but it isn't.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

No. Because the terms of use say you're buying data for one device. The cable TV example goes like this: You pay for "unlimited" use of the included channels. Just because your neighbor isn't watching one of them doesn't give you the right to take the signal for your own use. A cable internet example: Your neighbor pays for unlimited data (for his household). That doesn't mean you can mooch off him because it's "unlimited".

I wish wireless data were billed on pay-as-you-go terms, but it isn't.

Missing the point completely. This cable analogy takes into account that someone is illegally STEALING somebody elses cable...which is a crime.

We are simply talking about how we choose use our data. I have no interest in sharing my data with anyone else. BUT I do have an interest in using the data I pay for on more than one device. I am not limited on how many devices (that I own) consume my home internet, so why should I be limited on my phone? This IS NOT STEALING as the cable analogy suggests.

I, myself, have no problem with requiring a tiered price if using the hotspot, but do it like Verizon does: The phone has unlimited data, but the hotspot cost $10 a GB. I really don't care for AT&T charging for 2GB & hotspot capability up front. What if I don't even use up the first 2GB?

Another better solution is to let anyone have hotspot capability and simply charge them for each GB used. If they don't go over the base 2GB then they don't pay extra.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I am not limited on how many devices (that I own) consume my home internet, so why should I be limited on my phone?

Simply because those are the terms imposed by the carrier and our choices are take it or leave it.

Otherwise, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The sooner the carriers realize that they are dumb pipes and begin to behave that way, the better.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Simply because those are the terms imposed by the carrier and our choices are take it or leave it.

Otherwise, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The sooner the carriers realize that they are dumb pipes and begin to behave that way, the better.

We don't have to take it or leave it. That is what AT&T wants you to believe. My phone is jailbroken for a single app: MyWi. My 3GS easily shares it's signal via wifi, Bluetooth and USB tethering. No OS limitations, no AT&T limitations, no Apple limitions and no hardware limitations (iPhone 4s ONLY?!?).

I don't misuse my data by burning through GB's each month, but I do occasionally use it when I cannot get a wifi signal when out and about.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    Well, yes, jailbreaking is always an option.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Apple says it's an iPhone 4 exclusive, not AT&T.

Because.....?

The jailbreak versions work fine on the 3G and 3GS.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Look, I hate AT&T like the rest of you. There's nothing better than speaking to your boss, the one who pays your cell bill, and the call drops. Priceless.

I have jailbroken my phone and installed mywi, the tethering app. My question to those of you who know is this: Can AT&T detect when I am using that app? I don't use it often - certainly not enough to justify what they want us to pay - but I am wondering if it is traceable.

Anyone? Thanks
  • Reply 49 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Postpaid customers have the same options: $14.99 for 250MB or $25 for 2GB per month. Customers on the 2GB plan who exceed their monthly allotment will be charged $10 per extra 1GB of overage, while prepaid customers pay $25 for an extra 2GB.

So basically they are using screwy math to encourage folks to pre paid. Otherwise you'll possibly pay more for the same data. Why am I thinking there will be major complaints and threats of a law suit.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

I don't understand the analogy. The post was talking about using the data one already pays for. If i have a 2GB plan on my iphone and a 2gb plan on my ipad, but only use 1GB on either wouldn't it stand to reason that all I need is one 2GB plan?

That is what makes sense to us. And I agree that they should let it be one fee for all registered devices. And make it truly prepaid data that lasts as long as we need it too, not this whole 2gb per month nonsense.

But the carriers will always assume that tethering will led to more usage. And since the laws allow them to charge more, they will do it. And the laws will let them charge by the month per device, so they will do that. Just like not reducing their rate plans when you have a full price phone, only dropping the ETF $10 when the division over the contract is more like $15 a month, refusing to unlock devices etc.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That is what makes sense to us. And I agree that they should let it be one fee for all registered devices. And make it truly prepaid data that lasts as long as we need it too, not this whole 2gb per month nonsense.

But the carriers will always assume that tethering will led to more usage. And since the laws allow them to charge more, they will do it. And the laws will let them charge by the month per device, so they will do that. Just like not reducing their rate plans when you have a full price phone, only dropping the ETF $10 when the division over the contract is more like $15 a month, refusing to unlock devices etc.

Sad but true. Hence the link to complain to the FCC a couple of posts back. I wonder what would happen if cable did work like this and charged for every TV? These days it's the same thing; as in it all just data streaming. I bet people would be very upset with that proposition.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    ATT is once again trying to screw the customer. Give up an unlimited data plan to pay $45 for Hot Spot tethering which has a 4GB limit??? Firstly most people don't need 4GB for tethering, second why take away what people already have even if they don't use it.

Wow looks as though ATT doesn't care if it shoots itself in the foot.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:

Exactly. Unlimited and JB sounds very appealing too . This reminds me of the record labels causing their own problems by not embracing the reality technology proposes. AT&T et al are trying to use tech to control and manipulate the market. People like us might just say F_-_ it! and JB our phones. My friends kids have steadily assuaged my fears of ever Jbreaking an iPhone.

just jailbreak the danm thing, man. just dont over-tweak it; it will make it a little slow. i used to be very afraid of Jbing my IP4, but now i am i am enjoying all my new features more than ever. there are plenty of videos on youtube that'll guide you. and if it does work, you can always restore it using itunes.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

Sad but true. Hence the link to complain to the FCC a couple of posts back. I wonder what would happen if cable did work like this and charged for every TV? These days it's the same thing; as in it all just data streaming. I bet people would be very upset with that proposition.

They charge for each receiver, and increasingly, you can't watch anything on Cable/Satellite without their receiver. So in a sense, they are already charging per TV, and this is on top of the cable charge.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    If my iPhone supported tethering, would I be able to buy the cheaper wifi iPad and use it over my iPhone's 3G connection?
  • Reply 56 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by purpleshorts View Post

If my iPhone supported tethering, would I be able to buy the cheaper wifi iPad and use it over my iPhone's 3G connection?

That's the idea, to have one device as a WiFi hotspot (MiFi, etc.) with one data plan usable by every other WiFi device you own.

IIRC, the WiFi iPad 2 still lacks the GPS chip? If so, that would be the one downside...
  • Reply 57 of 63
    tethering is not even an option here AT&crap STILL does not have 3G here, city of 80,000 and we still dont have it, hating AT&T. called Corp office and they said we will not have it until sometime next year! AT&T is so very slow at getting their systems upgraded
  • Reply 58 of 63
    I'm in a transition area where AT&T is buying out Alltel (where I live it was the only carrier offering service), we will switch in a few weeks. Right now I'm paying $20 for my smart phone data and $40 for my wireless card. Not only do I save $15/month with the new plan but I can hotspot and not carry a wireless card with me. The phone plans are also better.

4GB is plenty for me for my business needs, I'm pleased. It is what it is. As for the service dependability, I can't imagine it being worse than what I have had for the past 6 years.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by purpleshorts View Post

iPad doesn't support tethering but it will connect to a hotspot. That's what I'll be doing.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I envy those who will get this function. Softbank in Japan will not support personal hotspot, so I have to continue carrying my little wifi-3g device around.

Apple's homepage prominently displays the function as on the US page, suggests downloading 4.3 for you iPhone and then includes in the description a statement that it will not be available in Japan. Why not just not mention it? Arrgh.