Shipments of Apple's iPad 2 could reach 3M in Q1 2011, 12M in Q2

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's Taiwanese suppliers have indicated that production of iPad 2 models will reach three million units in the first quarter of 2011, before ramping up to 10-12 million units in the second quarter, a new report claims.

Asian component suppliers have told DigiTimes that shipments of the iPad 2 are expected to reach 2-3 million units in March, given that the company drew down production of the original iPad in February while simultaneously ramping up production of the iPad 2.

Though earlier reports had suggested that the March quarter would see production of as many as 2 million units of the iPad 2, the publication has now revised its estimates with an upper limit of 3 million units.

The second quarter of 2011 could see as many as 10-12 million iPad 2 units shipped, the report added. By way of comparison, Apple sold 15 million iPads from April to December 2010 for a total of $9.5 billion in revenue.

According to the report, Apple remains on track to hit its target of producing 40 million iPads in 2011.

The report assumes a shipment ratio of 4:6 for the first half and second half of the year, so the second half of 2011 could see iPad 2 shipments reach 21.5-25 million units.

Wall Street analyst sales expectations run lower than DigiTimes' 40 million unit production estimate. For example, Gleacher & Co. analyst Brian Marshall sees the iPad maker selling 30 million units in 2011, though he believes that to be a conservative estimate.

Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, formerly of DigiTimes, has estimated iPad shipments from Foxconn, the tablet's sole maker, will reach 4.5-5 million units in the first quarter of 2011.

For its part, Apple was confident enough in the iPad 2 to declare 2011 "The year of iPad 2" when it took the wraps off the device on Wednesday. The redesigned touchscreen tablet, which has a dual-core CPU, two cameras, and a thinner and lighter form factor, impressed analysts, prompting them to assert that Apple will continue to dominate the tablet market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    neomieneomie Posts: 1member
    It came out earlier than expected. What I feel disappointed that the iPad 2 is still not capable of running Flash Player. The only one thing I feel puzzled, for some sites, it seems that they got advance preparation for iPad 2 for a long long time, becauz they followed close behind iPad 2 release?.The iPad 2 has been released just a moment ago, they are immediately claimed that some software has been developed for iPad 2? http://technsports.com/free-macx-ipa...ac-users/5766/
  • Reply 2 of 30
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    I may not be first at my local Apple Store (less than 2 miles away) but I do plan to go home with one on the 11th sometime after 5 PM. I just hope they will actually have accessories (HDMI adapter, leather cover in black, I may even get a keyboard to stash with it in the MBR).

My big question for all you cell phone knowledgeable folks - Apple mentions a couple of built point items in the Tech Specs (in the 'Wi Fi + 3G column'):

Micro-SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

Assisted GPS only with the WiFi + 3G

From this should I assume that the GPS availability is only available with a data plan - or will the GPS radio actually function without having to have a data plan? Or maybe it can used if you sign u for data for one month (with the month to math plan)?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm buying three. One for my mom, my wife, and myself.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    camcam Posts: 35member
    Looking forward to buying one as a birthday gift and one for myself.

Can't wait!
  • Reply 5 of 30
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

California right now. Going to Boston next week. With the money I'll save in NH no tax, I might get an iPad and 8 core 2.4 although I want the 3.33 hex. Will look into mailing address services while there. Save like $500. Mote than my

Lol. Anyway, have iPhone 4 not sure if I'll jailbreak as I have a gps from magellian and hardly ever used the teether but if I did. I would probably jail break. Maybe. Not sure. Know this has more ram so it won't slow down. Really like smart touch instruments on iPad. Winder how long before it reaches logic and garage band???

Godspeed and Blessings. Hope entitled dreams come true.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

I'm buying one for my wife, my girlfriend, my second wife, my other girlfriend, my third wife, my soon to be girlfriend, and my soon to be wife..
  • Reply 7 of 30
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Each Hong Kong permanent adult resident to get 6,000 HKD

http://english.sina.com/china/2011/0302/362323.html

The HK Government is handing out 6000 HKD cash to all permanent residents in HK due to a surplus annual budget. There was talk on the local radio that many would use this to buy the next latest phone/ipad etc... I think Apple's will reap a lot of this..Coincidental timing on both parties with the announcements
  • Reply 8 of 30
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I'm buying one for my wife, my girlfriend, my second wife, my other girlfriend, my third wife, my soon to be girlfriend, and my soon to be wife..

You have a buisy life man. And now you make me worry wether the production volume actually meets the needs. I will preorder mine as soon as possible.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I'm so stoked! My bro has the ipad v1. Both my sisters want the newer one. My grandma gets the old ipad v1. 4 purchases guaranteed on the 11th!!
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Sorry, I'm wiping the investor drool off my face.

As you should. This will be HUGE!
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    The real question is, when will the online 'order now' button actually work on March 11th?

I get the feeling that if you don't order one within minutes of the link being active, you won't be getting one anytime soon.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

From this should I assume that the GPS availability is only available with a data plan - or will the GPS radio actually function without having to have a data plan? Or maybe it can used if you sign u for data for one month (with the month to math plan)?

No you don't need a data plan for gps to work, but you will need a different map software program, other than maps to use it. search in app store and you'll find some examples. Essentially you'll need to preload map content. also be prepared for a big battery drain. with data plan, the initial location sync is faster and more precise because it will use cell tower triangulation to 'assist'. That's why it's called 'assisted gps'.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

The real question is, when will the online 'order now' button actually work on March 11th?

I get the feeling that if you don't order one within minutes of the link being active, you won't be getting one anytime soon.

Yea, I have that same impression. IMO there was a lot people(like me) that waited for v2 to see how it compares to the new competitors etc. While IMO xoom and hp touchpad have great potential, it's only that. I do not want to wait any longer.

IPad 2 and 65k apps baby, bout sums it up why now versus the posers(sorry a little trash talk)
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

No you don't need a data plan for gps to work, but you will need a different map software program, other than maps to use it. search in app store and you'll find some examples. Essentially you'll need to preload map content. also be prepared for a big battery drain. with data plan, the initial location sync is faster and more precise because it will use cell tower triangulation to 'assist'. That's why it's called 'assisted gps'.

partially true. If you are in an area with Wifi, the gps will work fine with the built in maps app. So you don't necessarily have to have a preloaded maps app... of course if you're out and about with no wifi and no 3G plan then its a different situation. Also, the battery drain is much worse when you use the built in maps thats constantly a) keeping a gps signal and b) pulling map data from the internet... versus a preloaded maps app where its only having to pull the gps signal.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhReallyNow View Post

partially true. If you are in an area with Wifi, the gps will work fine with the built in maps app. So you don't necessarily have to have a preloaded maps app... of course if you're out and about with no wifi and no 3G plan then its a different situation. Also, the battery drain is much worse when you use the built in maps thats constantly a) keeping a gps signal and b) pulling map data from the internet... versus a preloaded maps app where its only having to pull the gps signal.

Good additional points. I would mention gps in itself sucks up the battery. I think I get about two hours out on a hike.

Not sure if it exists but I have not found apple documentation of how gps and iOS work as we have described. To a newbe, they kind of got to figure it out or hop on forums like this and ask. IMO Apple should document it more clearly, I can understand why it would be confusing to some.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Daharder has you beat!!!

LOL!!!
  • Reply 17 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Good additional points. I would mention gps in itself sucks up the battery. I think I get about two hours out on a hike.

Not sure if it exists but I have not found apple documentation of how gps and iOS work as we have described. To a newbe, they kind of got to figure it out or hop on forums like this and ask. IMO Apple should document it more clearly, I can understand why it would be confusing to some.

I always record my hiking tracks with dedicated hiking apps on my iPhone 4, and I can get 5 hrs at least with the gps active. I always looks forward to checking the path in 3D in Google Earth afterwards, especially with all the data it supplies (speed/pace/elevation charts).
  • Reply 18 of 30
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    iPad 2 is all people have been talking about at work this week, and where I work is usually a decidedly nontech-focused office. In other words, this thing is gonna be huge!!!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    One reason so many iPad 2's will be sold this year is because Steve Baller is buying all the microsoft employees two of them, good business, one for work and one for home.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    iandeaniandean Posts: 23member
    and I "Could" win the lottery this year? what's your point?