Apple's iPad 2 prompts Samsung to improve 'inadequate' parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Samsung is headed back to the drawing board for its forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 to improve "inadequate" parts and reconsider pricing after Apple unveiled its iPad 2 this week.

Lee Don-joo, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile division, said the thinner and lighter design of the iPad 2, at the same price points as its predecessor, presents an issue for his company and its forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1. The tablet, named for its 10.1-inch screen, was unveiled at this year's Mobile World Congress and runs Android 3.0 Honeycomb.

"We will have to improve the parts that are inadequate," Lee said of the forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 in an interview with Yonhap News Agency. "Apple made it very thin."

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 shown off last month had a weight of 21 ounces and was 0.44 inches thick. Apple on Wednesday unveiled the iPad 2, arriving in stores next Friday, March 11, with a weight of 1.33 pounds, or 21.28 ounces, and a thickness of 8.8mm, or just 0.35 inches.

Lee also said that Samsung will reconsider its pricing for the 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab. No prices or release date for the product have been announced.

Samsung was among a number of companies called out this week by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs. In his surprise return to the stage on Wednesday, Jobs said if 2010 was the year of the iPad, 2011 may be the "year of the copycats" with competitors looking to replicate Apple's success with the iPad.

With regard to Samsung, Jobs repeated a quote that gained much attention, in which a Samsung executive was originally reported to have said that sales of its 7-inch Galaxy Tab, released last fall, were "quite small." However, Samsung later clarified that their executive said Galaxy Tab sales were "quite smooth," and that the original quote was incorrect.

Jobs, on stage Wednesday, repeated the allegedly incorrect quote as part of his presentation. "A lot of these were probably on the shelf by the end of the year," Jobs also said of the 7-inch Galaxy Tab.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 222
    euphoriaeuphoria Posts: 20member
    It's good that Apple is lifting the bar for some of these developers.

This means improved products at better pricing for the consumers.
  • Reply 2 of 222
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    I hardly think they will be able to completely revise their product before launch without creating a huge delay. These things are not just slapped together over a weekend.
  • Reply 3 of 222
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We will have to improve the parts that are inadequate," Lee said of the forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 in an interview with Yonhap News Agency. "Apple made it very thin."

Funny as hell supplier can not compete with the thing, which itself consists of supplier's own parts.

No one watches Steve's keynotes. Literally, no one. Disrespectful.

• Reply 4 of 222
    I'm surprised a company would admit to their product being inadequate and needing changes in such a public way. At least they have the insight to know what needs improvement in their own design, but to put it out there like this just seems like the wrong thing to do.

It's like a Mom calling her own baby ugly...
  • Reply 5 of 222
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Apple's competitors have their heads so far up their butts that they can't see straight. They have no ability to think for themselves or innovate on their own. A pathetic lot.
  • Reply 6 of 222
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post

It's good that Apple is lifting the bar for some of these developers.

This means improved products at better pricing for the consumers.

Not really. It means all of these Android clones will race to the bottom and not make any money, and some will go out of business, or abandon it, just like in the PC market. Did that really create a lot of "improved products" in the PC arena at "better pricing"? NO - just a lot of cheap crappy ones.
  • Reply 7 of 222
    euphoriaeuphoria Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Not really. It means all of these Android clones will race to the bottom and not make any money, and some will go out of business, or abandon it, just like in the PC market. Did that really create a lot of "improved products" in the PC arena at "better pricing"? NO - just a lot of cheap crappy ones.

You might be right... Just as HP abandoned their Win 7 Slate...I guess time will show.
  • Reply 8 of 222
    I’m sure certain people will post that Tab and other tablets are better because they have a slightly higher PPI, but note that PPI is only one metric for determining the readability of a display and usability of the entire device. I think the Tab only has a whooping 30 more PPI so it’s not exactly something you’ll notice (same goes for those saying the iPhone 4’s display is the best solely because its 326ppi beats newer smartphones with 280ppi). Does the Galaxy Tab 10.1 even use an IPS panel or another more advanced panel type for improved viewing angles, color accuracy, or have a good backlight compared to the iPad?

These things may not seem important until you see how much better it is. It’s like those that say they don’t need a luxury car because their cheap car does the same basic “job” of getting them from point A to point B, except that Apple’s luxury product is cheaper than the other junkers trying to be pushed down our thoughts.

And then there is Android. I think Honeycomb is coming along nicely but it’s too open for developers and vendors and not open in the right way for consumers. They aren’t creating an ecosystem, they’re creating a cesspool.
  • Reply 9 of 222
    madgoatmadgoat Posts: 21member
    This goes to prove that the android tablet manufacturers don't innovate, but rather wait for apple to come out with their next product and try to modify theirs to be slightly ahead.

This is so very sad that other companies wait on Apple's keynotes before making their own products.

Frankly, their "me too" attitude really doesn't promote competition at all.
  • Reply 10 of 222
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The 7" Galaxy Tab was such a disaster, not even using an OS designed for tablets, that Samsung's credibility in this market is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they are out of the tablet business within a year.
  • Reply 11 of 222
    womble2k2womble2k2 Posts: 118member
    Quote:

"We will have to improve the parts that are inadequate," Lee said of the forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1

Yep, throw the whole thing in the trash and start again!
  • Reply 12 of 222
    Anyone who's in the market for a specifically Android tablet isn't going to be concerned with a tenth of an inch - they want the internal hardware (CPU/GPU) upgrades.
  • Reply 13 of 222
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Your post gave me a chuckle when I considered that the competition is probably doing just that...slapping them together...over the weekend. The xoom, according to reviewers and android podcasts, is half baked. They complained about clumsy interfaces, flash not working and sd card inactive...out the box.

I think Apple's competition will literally throw them together just to get them out the door.

Their problem is are they going to put a product out that is not only behind the first ipad but is now more so with ipad 2, or, are they going to make some snap revision and put it there with "updates" to come.

What makes me chuckle is when someone hasn't even used the other product and puts it down based on what someone else says. Or brings up Flash when the iPad will never have Flash enable. How did Flash all of a suddent become important?

The Xoom hardware has nothing to do with Flash. Flash is a plugin that is not really yet for Honeycomb. That will be a simple updated from Adobe that will come from the Android market.

The Xoom hardware is really nice as is the OS the problem with many of these products and the reason Apple will outsell all of htem is the ecosystem and the lack of apps for the Tablets.
  • Reply 14 of 222
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The 7" Galaxy Tab was such a disaster, not even using an OS designed for tablets, that Samsung's credibility in this market is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they are out of the tablet business within a year.

Yeah that would make sense seeing Samsung is the leading supplier to Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 222
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

"We will have to improve the parts that are inadequate," Lee said of the forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 in an interview with Yonhap News Agency.

With regard to Samsung, Jobs repeated a quote that gained much attention, in which a Samsung executive was originally reported to have said that sales of its 7-inch Galaxy Tab, released last fall, were "quite small." However, Samsung later clarified that their executive said Galaxy Tab sales were "quite smooth," and that the original quote was incorrect.

Of course Samsung will again say that the quote (in bold) is a translation error and that in fact the forthcoming tab is a beautiful thing... much better than iPad2.
  • Reply 16 of 222
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What makes me chuckle is when someone hasn't even used the other product and puts it down based on what someone else says. Or brings up Flash when the iPad will never have Flash enable. How did Flash all of a suddent become important?

The Xoom hardware has nothing to do with Flash. Flash is a plugin that is not really yet for Honeycomb. That will be a simple updated from Adobe that will come from the Android market.

The Xoom hardware is really nice as is the OS the problem with many of these products and the reason Apple will outsell all of htem is the ecosystem and the lack of apps for the Tablets.

When important features of your product, the ones you are touting to differentiate yourself from competitor, are not ready when you ship the product, that fits the definition of "Not Ready", or "Half-baked".

Adobe's inability to get their plugin ready for Android 3.0 is the strongest confirmation that Steve made the right decision to dump Flash. Just imagine how much longer would Adobe drag their feet if flash's future viability was NOT on the line here.
  • Reply 17 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

I'm surprised a company would admit to their product being inadequate and needing changes in such a public way. At least they have the insight to know what needs improvement in their own design, but to put it out there like this just seems like the wrong thing to do.

It's like a Mom calling her own baby ugly...

Yeah it is surprising but they'll cover their base like they did with the sales numbers. Small, smooth, revised, redone, awesome!
  • Reply 18 of 222
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:

Or brings up Flash when the iPad will never have Flash enable. How did Flash all of a suddent become important?

Flash is important to several industries. For example, I'm in the homebuilding industry. Some of our sales nazis have iPads and will be out showing a home and if there is something that the customer wants to see in a different model, we have virtual tours available. Now these tours are hosted and made by a 3rd party company that works with several homebuilders, but linked through our site for our specific homes. Unfortunately, the sales staff can't show the virtual tours because they are made in Flash.

I don't need Flash personally on my iPhone most of the time, but there are times when it is necessary and I can't do it. Just not enough to be annoying.
  • Reply 19 of 222
    Quote:

How can these things be ?really nice? when they don?t seem to have any balance on features or capabilities? The Xoom, like other devices, seems to focus too heavily on a single, simple feature while ignoring others.

For example, Apple could have increased the iPad?s display resolution without severally impacting battery life or GPU performance. They could have made it 180ppi so they can beat other 10? tablets in that area, but that would come at a much higher cost to them, devs and consumers since it would require a new SDK to make it look/work right or doing nothing which would save Apple some short term money but hurt them as a result of destroying their ecosystem.

With Honeycomb I see potential, but the same potential I see with most of Google?s projects: unrefined and not going to make the average consumer fall in love with the experience. It?s more like some week proof of concept at a middle school science fair (hyperbole ).

The problem with this for Google is that is actually helps Apple and those that want the iPad because they see these features that can and can?t work and refine them more. I still haven?t seen anyone else make cut/copy/paste work as well as iOS even thought Apple was so late to this party. Why is that?

As for Flash, I just don?t get it. How much time does Adobe need to get Flash working right? It?s March 2011 and yet the original iPhone was vilified in January 2007 for not having Flash, which Adobe said back then would be easy for them to make if Apple would ?let them?. So why don?t they have this on the ready? Why aren?t they working closer with Android the way they are working with Chrome which has it integrated into the browser and OS?

Let me come at this last point from a different angle. Why is Flash already ready for evil and closed Mac OS X when they update it yet isn?t ready for open Android OS system? Something just isn?t jiving with Adobe and Android.
  • Reply 20 of 222
    robbydekrobbydek Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Funny as hell supplier can not compete with the thing, which itself consists of supplier's own parts.

It could be because Apple has an exclusive agreement,where Samsung can't use the parts designed by Apple and/or Samsung doesn't supply all the parts for Apple, including some of the more expensive parts.

Besides, Motorola is the only Tablet that can compete with the iPad 2, simply because it has the ability to support 4G. Motorola either needs to look at massive improvements or bringing costs down.