Apple's iPad 2 prompts Samsung to improve 'inadequate' parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1

Comments

• Reply 61 of 222
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Yep, I wish Apple would include flash as an option, even if it meant having two versions of Safari on iOS.

You do realize that Adobe, not Apple, develops Flash?

How would/could Apple include something that does not exist: a usable, working, efficient and effective version of Flash for iOS that does not consume 100% of the battery/CPU?
  • Reply 62 of 222
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You do realize that Adobe, not Apple, develops Flash?

How would/could Apple include something that does not exist: a usable, working, efficient and effective version of Flash for iOS that does not consume 100% of the battery/CPU?

Yeah I got that part.

I don't know if Apple could develop a second Safari to better incorporate flash, but I'd think it's a possibility if they were willing. I'm not expecting it though, sadly.
  • Reply 63 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am curious as to which parts are "inadequate." Since the specs on paper are pretty comparable except for thickness. That would seem to be a case design issue, not a part problem. Unless he means getting thinner components inside to allow for a redesign of the case. That doesn't sound like a simple part swap, but rather going back to the drawing board. It should cause a significant release delay. By the time they get it out the door Apple will be putting the finishing touches on the iPad 3 and then the whole dog-chasing-its-tail thing keeps on going.

They only list the base specs. 1GB RAM. But how fast is it? How much power doea it require? 32GB NAND. How many chips? How fast is it? How muhbpower does it use? What kind of logic board design? What kind of PMU? How many nits is the LED backlight? What's the panel type? What is the viewing angle? What are the blacks, white and color accuracy? What changes does Apple's A5 CPU have from the reference base?

It's like taking a powerlifter who is 6' tall and weighs 100 kilos, and then finding someone else who is 6' and 100 kilos and saying they can lift the same weights because some superficial specs are identical. Or in the case of the disparate OSes on these devices and drivers, finding someone who is taller and heavier and claiming they therefore must be stronger. (tried really hard not to use a car analogy )

I bet when iFixit takes this apart we'll find the logic board very similiar to the iPhone 4 with double stacked silicon allowing the battery to be the same volume over a larger area.
  • Reply 64 of 222
    Quote:

Yeah I got that part.

I don't know if Apple could develop a second Safari to better incorporate flash, but I'd think it's a possibility if they were willing. I'm not expecting it though, sadly.

While I would like it if all websites were accessible (no matter how terrible they may be, but sometimes I really need that restaurant's number) the fact is that Flash is dying a slow death ONLY because iOS does not support it. If iOS did, Flash would not be going away the way it is now.

That death has been prolonged, because Google, the "Do No Evil" "Open" lovers, decided that a closed proprietary platform was actually the best Internet platform, all technical and design evidence indicating otherwise. Which is why they worked hard with Adobe for 2 (!!!) years to get a functioning (but still terrible) version of Flash on Android. And bundled Flash into their Chrome browser (where its not a plugin anymore).
  • Reply 65 of 222
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

lso everyone acts as if they are being force to use Flash. For those on Android that don't want to sue Flash you simply don't install the plugin. Apple not allowing Flash is nothing more then Steve Jobs controlling content.

Controlling what content? flash videos? Most video sites have figure out how to play videos withour flash (really not that hard to figure out) so that even you tube content embedded in a message board plays just fine on iOS devices. And there is an alternate browser in the app store that enables

flash video from other sites who haven't figured out how to do it themselves.

flash games? How big of a loss is that really? It's been mentioned multiple times that flash isn't designed for touch input, so things don't really work right. And the native games in the app store are better.

flash ads? Who's going to complain about missing an ad.

Apple has sold over 100 million iOS devices. The number of sites that rely on flash are declining daily.

As for "it's only a few weeks delay for flash" on the Xoom. Isn't that pretty much Steve's whole point. Companies either ship with missing features or delay their release because they have no other choice. They don't develop flash, so they are at the mercy of Adobe. On the desktop, flash crashes browsers. Again an issue where Apple and Microsoft are at the mercy of Adobe. Why should they continue to do this for what used to be perceived as a core OS feature. It's no longer perceived as such because of Apple's efforts. The result are machines that are more stable and have longer battery life. Why should a technology company as big as Apple be at the mercy of a 3rd party for the reliability and performance of their core products.

The answer is they shouldn't, and 115 million and counting customers agree with them.
  • Reply 65 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 shown off last month had a weight of 21 ounces and was 0.44 inches thick. Apple on Wednesday unveiled the iPad 2, arriving in stores next Friday, March 11, with a weight of 1.33 pounds, or 21.28 ounces, and a thickness of 8.8mm, or just 0.35 inches.

That 0.09 inches makes all the difference in the balance and the feel.
  • Reply 67 of 222
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    If the 7" Tab was priced at nearly $900 without a contract, I can only imagine what the 10" would go for.
  • Reply 68 of 222
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Sounds like you guys need to send requests to that company telling them you require the virtual tours in HTML for your clients.

How were your sales staff showing the virtual tours before the iPad existed?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Flash is important to several industries. For example, I'm in the homebuilding industry. Some of our sales nazis have iPads and will be out showing a home and if there is something that the customer wants to see in a different model, we have virtual tours available. Now these tours are hosted and made by a 3rd party company that works with several homebuilders, but linked through our site for our specific homes. Unfortunately, the sales staff can't show the virtual tours because they are made in Flash.

• Reply 69 of 222
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Antiquated Flash is inferior to HTML5 and native apps, and that?s why Apple doesn?t support it.

End of story.
  • Reply 70 of 222
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Yeah I got that part.

They can't. Flash doesn't drag down the app. It drags down the OS.
  • Reply 71 of 222
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Flash is going to be about a three week wait for Honeycomb. Its not the end of the world. Adobe didn't give up on anything seeing Flash is used on every Android phone running Froyo.

The reason Honeycomb doesn't have Flash yet is because they ar going with 10.2 not 10.1

Also everyone acts as if they are being force to use Flash. For those on Android that don't want to sue Flash you simply don't install the plugin. Apple not allowing Flash is nothing more then Steve Jobs controlling content.

Flash is a plugin if you want it then you the end user install it, if you don't you never have to install it on your system. Also on your mobile you can set flash for " on demand" so you can activate it only when you want to use it, you don't have to use it on ever website.

It works rather well.

I have seen no evidence to support the idea that flash 'works rather well' on these devices. On the contrary, the reports I've seen suggest that it suffers poor performance, is a dramatic battery suck, and isn't capable of doing most of what it is actually used for on the web, such as streaming RTMP. The fact that many manufacturers don't even ship it on their devices is quite telling.

I run sites that serve MP3 audio for download and via RTMP streams. We use flash in desktop browsers (because of IE), and we support IOS with HTML5. We don't yet support Android but they can still get to the normal site, and I see the Android users connections in our logs every day attempting again and again to stream the audio files to their 2.2 and 2.3 devices. Most of the time, I see them hitting the same file again and again over a minute or so period, and then they just stop. Why do you think that might be? I think it is this: the flash plugin doesn't work nearly as well on their devices as you suggest it does. I don't see ANY evidence which would suggest to me that even one of our users has been successful in using the flash plugin to stream anything at all from us. And I don't think that is a unique experience:

http://www.technovia.co.uk/2010/08/j...n-android.html

http://gigaom.com/video/video-flash-...artlingly-bad/

http://blog.laptopmag.com/mobile-fla...ves-jobs-right

I understand why people want flash on these devices, but I think it is disingenuous to present flash as a competitive differentiator for your device (or operating system, for that matter) when you don't really intend to push its use, and when it is basically an open secret that it is highly ineffective on the target platform.
  • Reply 72 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Should we refer to your comments about the the first gen iPad before it was released?

I was one of the first people on the forum to have the first Gen iPad. My guess is I will be one of the first to also have the second gen. I am a fan of technology I don't bash products simply because they aren't made by Apple. Which seems to be the culture on this forum. I speak my mind when I don't like something but I am am avid supporter of Apple and their products.
  • Reply 73 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Flash is important to several industries. For example, I'm in the homebuilding industry. Some of our sales nazis have iPads and will be out showing a home and if there is something that the customer wants to see in a different model, we have virtual tours available. Now these tours are hosted and made by a 3rd party company that works with several homebuilders, but linked through our site for our specific homes. Unfortunately, the sales staff can't show the virtual tours because they are made in Flash.

Are you suggesting that this couldn't be done in HTML5? Doesn't everyone win if the developers updated away from a proprietary solution and towards open standards? If they don't, their competition will. These changes are already happening across the board and the driving force behind it has been Apple. Everyone wins except Adobe.
  • Reply 74 of 222
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Overall sales were quite small.... smooth, I meant smooth.

• Reply 75 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I have seen no evidence to support the idea that flash 'works rather well' on these devices.

I own and Evo so I don't have to go by what others report. THe Evo not only runs Flash 10.1 well it also had the framerate cap lifted in a sofware update. There are many times I am streaming 57fps.
  • Reply 76 of 222
    Quote:

I own and Evo so I don't have to go by what others report. THe Evo not only runs Flash 10.1 well it also had the framerate cap lifted in a sofware update. There are many times I am streaming 57fps.

streaming what? Industry standard H.264 video in an unnecessary and proprietary flash wrapper?
  • Reply 77 of 222
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    Open mouth, insert foot.

Seriously, how can an executive be that dumb to say that about their own product? The iPad/iPad2 are not perfect (darn close) but at least executives at Apple are smart enough not to point out the inadequate parts.
  • Reply 78 of 222
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This year, for the first time, predictions are that there will be more mobile devices accessing the Internet than desktop devices.

Are you sure about that? I thought mobile accounted for only about 1-2% of web hits currently.
  • Reply 79 of 222
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    the iPad 2 is just a copy cat product - and Apple shamelessly claims that it is better in every way than the iPad that Apple sold last year - oh wait, can you copy cat yourself? and if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then a lot of folks in the tech world have been flattering themselves a bit too much - oh wait there I go again, can you flatter yourself? (and if you do, will you go blind?)
  • Reply 80 of 222
    Chop Chop Samsung