Apple's A5 CPU in iPad 2 has 512MB of RAM, same as iPhone 4 - report

Comments

• Reply 221 of 266
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

"... get it up to the level of the iTunes ecosystem " You're joking, right? iTune is the most complicated, unintuitive application I have ever used. I would buy my parents iPad if it weren't for iTunes. Apple needs to figure a way to do without this dinosaur.

Wow. What are you comparing iTunes to?
  • Reply 222 of 266
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Where are you coming up with that? It was long ago dispelled that the paid upgrades were tied to carrier contracts.

It's just another of his brazen lies.
  • Reply 223 of 266
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

My first Mac only had 1 meg of RAM - and it still works!

Now get of my lawn!

Yep. I remember buying a IIsi which came with 2 MB (I upgraded to 17). Back in the days of 20 MB hard disks (for $400 or so).
  • Reply 224 of 266
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Why would there be a feature slip to a feature that has no content. Where does the 1080P content come from? Apple is primarily concerned with iTunes which does not yet stream 1080P content.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I think that it is reasonable to consider the lack of 1080p video playing at launch (for a device with the hardware power to do so) --- a feature slip.

• Reply 225 of 266
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Yes, that must be it --- when the Playbook has 948mb of freemem, when their entire UI is flash.

Well exactly. You keep saying things that sound reasonable to you but have lots of holes in them in reality.

Everything was shut down at that system status screen. No Flash running by my guess. So we get confirmation that QNX is the lean embedded OS that it is when it isn't doing modern GUI work. No problems there.

The thing you missed is that Flash runs in it's own container within the spawning process. No containers requesting Flash, no Flash running. Since Flash runs in each and every container individually, it will eat memory prodigiously and with significant redundancy. Meaning the Playbook needs more memory just to say in business from all the repeated Flash GUI overhead.
  • Reply 226 of 266
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Well exactly. You keep saying things that sound reasonable to you but have lots of holes in them in reality.

Everything was shut down at that system status screen. No Flash running by my guess. So we get confirmation that QNX is the lean embedded OS that it is when it isn't doing modern GUI work. No problems there.

The thing you missed is that Flash runs in it's own container within the spawning process. No containers requesting Flash, no Flash running. Since Flash runs in each and every container individually, it will eat memory prodigiously and with significant redundancy. Meaning the Playbook needs more memory just to say in business from all the repeated Flash GUI overhead.

Did you even watch the video?

The following apps were running ATP Tennis (which is a flash app), the game Machinarium (which is a flash-based game), Music player, Camera app, Calender app, and BBM app. There weren't any ILM trickery in the video editing --- when he flipped over the Playbook to film the back of the tablet, his fingers mistakenly activated the system info screen (which is top bazel swipe down).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXPGwChLGw
  • Reply 227 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Where are you coming up with that? It was long ago dispelled that the paid upgrades were tied to carrier contracts.

It may be a one-off for the original ipad to get the 4.2 upgrade for free.
  • Reply 228 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's just another of his brazen lies.

Did I ever state that Apple would charge for the update? No. I said they have that option.
  • Reply 229 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Why would there be a feature slip to a feature that has no content. Where does the 1080P content come from? Apple is primarily concerned with iTunes which does not yet stream 1080P content.

Then maybe Apple shouldn't put in an extra expensive GPU that is 9x faster --- and use that cash saved to put in a gig of RAM on the ipad2.
  • Reply 230 of 266
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Because you refuse to accept the fact that Apple has more to come. There is still iOS 5 and the next iPhone.

Quote:

Then maybe Apple shouldn't put in an extra expensive GPU that is 9x faster --- and use that cash saved to put in a gig of RAM on the ipad2.

• Reply 231 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Because you refuse to accept the fact that Apple has more to come. There is still iOS 5 and the next iPhone.

I didn't refuse to accept anything. Apple has a 1 year product cycle and you are telling me to expect to buy the ipad2 and have at least 1/3 of its 12 month life to have a sub-par operating system.

Why can't Apple release iOS 5 next week with the ipad2 and the iphone 5 getting iOS 5.2 in June 2011?
  • Reply 232 of 266
    Quote:

Did you even watch the video?

The following apps were running ATP Tennis (which is a flash app), the game Machinarium (which is a flash-based game), Music player, Camera app, Calender app, and BBM app. There weren't any ILM trickery in the video editing --- when he flipped over the Playbook to film the back of the tablet, his fingers mistakenly activated the system info screen (which is top bazel swipe down).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXPGwChLGw

Yes, to the best of my observation it appears they all were shut down during the photo-snapping, not just a simple extra reporting app being started. I cannot believe you think an OS plus those 6 GUI based apps would only consume 76MB. The Flash runtime is larger than that.

That's just typical you not thinking things through.
  • Reply 233 of 266
    Quote:

Did I ever state that Apple would charge for the update? No. I said they have that option.

Well based on that and following your logic I have the option to declare your potential as topped out somewhere around the 3rd grade.

Does that make any sense in the real world? No. Its made up BS. Just like your post was, even though both of us have the proverbial grain of truth to stand on and cite. So stop with the faux disinformation making-stuff-up games, it's childish.
  • Reply 234 of 266
    Quote:

Yes, to the best of my observation it appears they all were shut down during the photo-snapping, not just a simple extra reporting app being started. I cannot believe you think an OS plus those 6 GUI based apps would only consume 76MB. The Flash runtime is larger than that.

That's just typical you not thinking things through.

I never claimed that the whole thing plus 6 apps running consumed 76mb. I said that the operating system took 76mb. Even if AIR apps takes larger amount of space --- it means what? The Playbook operating system is 1/2 the size as iOS with zero apps running. With 6 apps running all live at the same time, it means each Playbook app would have to be 10mb larger than the iOS equivalent so that the memory footprint to even out.

Quote:

Well based on that and following your logic I have the option to declare your potential as topped out somewhere around the 3rd grade.

Does that make any sense in the real world? No. Its made up BS. Just like your post was, even though both of us have the proverbial grain of truth to stand on and cite. So stop with the faux disinformation making-stuff-up games, it's childish.

What is BS? BS is claiming that a major iOS upgrade HAS to be released in June. Why can't iOS 5 be released next week with the ipad2 and the iphone5 gets iOS 5.2.
  • Reply 235 of 266
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Why can't Apple release iOS 5 next week with the ipad2 and the iphone 5 getting iOS 5.2 in June 2011?

1. It's not done.

2. Developers have had zero time to make apps for it.

Seriously, think about things before you say them.
  • Reply 236 of 266
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

They could but it would be unlikely. Apple has not released a single iOS 5 developer seed.

It is 99.9999% certain that they would let developers see the new operating system before they release it to the general public. After all, they want developers to create new apps/update existing apps and take advantage of the new features so when it does go live to Joe Consumer, there are many appealing offerings in the App Store.
  • Reply 237 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. It's not done.

2. Developers have had zero time to make apps for it.

Seriously, think about things before you say them.

I did think about it --- that's why I originally said that it looks like Apple has been rushing the ipad2. That's why I had been talking about the lack of third party developers demo'ing apps that take advantage of the increased hardware on stage last week. That's why I had been talking about possible feature slip.
  • Reply 238 of 266
    Quote:

I did think about it --- that's why I originally said that it looks like Apple has been rushing the ipad2. That's why I had been talking about the lack of third party developers demo'ing apps that take advantage of the increased hardware on stage last week. That's why I had been talking about possible feature slip.

Yeah, you thought about it and made it up, Bravo. But consistent with what you have been doing on the boards over the past several months.
  • Reply 239 of 266
    Quote:

I never claimed that the whole thing plus 6 apps running consumed 76mb. I said that the operating system took 76mb.

OK. [i LOVE doing this!!!] In your own words homey...

Quote:

The RIM Playbook showed 948mb of freemem --- last 30 second of video. The operating system took 1024-948=76mb of memory.

Well yes you did say the OS took 76MB, but your math said that was the only thing using memory!!!

I don't know how you will try to wriggle out of that one, you tied yourself up pretty good. And it makes most of your premise for the next statement invalid.

Quote:

Even if AIR apps takes larger amount of space --- it means what? The Playbook operating system is 1/2 the size as iOS with zero apps running. With 6 apps running all live at the same time, it means each Playbook app would have to be 10mb larger than the iOS equivalent so that the memory footprint to even out.

Again with the only knowing half the story, on top of the invalid premise. iOS uses a central GUI service in the OS. That means the OS memory footprint itself shoulders the load for all the common API provided GUI graphics. This is universally known as an efficient way to do software: write once, use many. And quite a bit of the volume isn't code bloat, it is the actual graphics elements that need to be combined. Elements that only ever need to be in memory anywhere once.

AIR on the other hand pastes it's whole self into every application processes that makes a request of the Flash GUI services. That's known as: write once, duplicate endlessly. Every instantiation of the GUI adds it's full weight again to the overall memory requirements of the machine. Every line of AIR GUI machine code, duplicated in every process. Every API-based GUI graphic, duplicated in every process.

I know you don't want to do that math, but everyone else can see the pattern pretty easily.

Quote:

What is BS? BS is claiming that a major iOS upgrade HAS to be released in June. Why can't iOS 5 be released next week with the ipad2 and the iphone5 gets iOS 5.2.

No the BS is claiming Apple may charge for iOS 5. But now I will call BS on your personal schedule for Apple despite it being quite well understood that Apple has a one year cycle on iOS at the Apple Dev Conference and iPhone in June.

New desktops and laptops have NEVER come with an understanding that a new version requires a new base OS release, for any OS or hardware vendor. What suddenly makes you think you have the moral authority to call out a corporation for not meeting your personal schedule that no company has previously met ever? It's just another example of you playing fast and loose with the facts so you can make negative comments that appear to have a kernel of truth in them. Too bad for you that others of us can recognize your attempted manipulations.
  • Reply 240 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though Apple has not officially disclosed how much RAM is found in the iPad 2, a Korean semiconductor analyst has claimed to know that the new A5 processor has 512MB of memory.

Responding to a query about the amount of RAM in the iPad 2, analyst Kakeun Lee claimed on Twitter (via Google Translate) that the new iPad will double the amount of RAM in last year's model. He also revealed that the new A5 processor features LPDDR2 memory, which is a speed boost from the LPDDR1 RAM in the first-generation iPad.

If true, the inclusion of 512MB of RAM confirms reports that the iPad 2 would pack the same amount of memory as the iPhone 4. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities also told AppleInsider that the RAM in the iPad 2 would run at a higher clock speed of 1,066MHz for greater memory bandwidth than the 800MHz memory in the iPhone 4.

Kuo also indicated back in January that the iPad 2 would have LPDDR2 RAM at a speed of 1,066MHz, corroborating Lee's more recent claims. Kuo said the memory would be supplied by both Samsung and Hynix.

512MB of RAM would be equal to the amount found in the iPhone 4, released last June. The amount of RAM supposedly in the new iPad is also half of the 1GB found in the Android-powered Motorola Xoom.

Apple prefers to avoid detailing technical specifications of its devices, instead focusing on features and usability. But the company did reveal on Wednesday that the new A5 processor is a custom-designed 1GHz dual-core chip with the same low power consumption as last year's A4.

The report also contradicts what a representative in London demoing the iPad 2 reportedly told Gizmodo: that the new iPad has the same 256MB of RAM as last year's model. However, the site was then told by another public relations person that they couldn't confirm how much RAM is in the new A5 processor.

The new iPad has 1 Gig of memory.