Apple iOS App Store blamed for too many apps as Sony NGP is called "dead on arrival"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Another reason is you're probably lazy, and cheap.

that would be two reasons.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Unfortunately apple has gone down the angle that windows did with their software availability. Hundreds of thousands piece of shit software, with a few pieces of good ones. Sure apple can highlight the good ones, but finding something decent in an area apple does not care to highlight is a frikin abomination, and the user reviews in the store are frikin awful.

Probably why i have only brought four apps in three years.

???

App Store ---> Top 25 ----> Top Paid or Top Free

App Store ---> Categories ----> (choose category) ----> Top Paid or Top Free

App Store ---> What's Hot (what others like at the moment.)

Done.

it's not rocket science. The cream make it to the top. Thus, they are listed near the top. First 25, even 50. Either overall or in categories. Use the Search function and type in keyword(s) for something more specific you might be looking for.

Ergo: "decent apps" staring you right in the friggin face. All you need to do is open your eyes and rub a couple of brain cells together.
  • Reply 43 of 112
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I'm glad Nintendo and others are having conniptions over Apple's game changing (no pun) model. I'm ecstatic to not have to pay $50+ for a game for the Wii. The kids still play the Wii, but they haven't asked for new games in quite a while. They freely go back and forth between the Wii and their iPads / iPod touches.

People gasp when they see my son with an iPad. But it's saved me thousands of dollars.

I'm happy as an italian plumber that Nintendo is stewing.
  • Reply 44 of 112
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'm trying to figure out the bad in this

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I had much the same response. Crap doesn't make money and never has. Frankly it sounded like he felt entitled to a profit no matter how much effort he puts into it.

Again, the "App Store is a meritocracy" thing was an aside by the author of the article, in support of the App Store-- not a criticism from Hawkins.

Although concluding that one's own misunderstanding sounds like "leftist Democrat speak" is sort of funny, if all too typical. The right would have a lot less to be indignant about if they weren't so good at fundamentally missing the point.
  • Reply 45 of 112
    Nintendo needs to join the masses. If they released their titles at a higher price point maybe then Nintendo can make a change in the App Store bottom line prices. A release such as Super Mario Brothers, which I believe sold about 9 million copies, if it was a quality game app(same as console version) I would easily buy for $20-30. Possibly even more, I mean it would be another few million copies sold, from a pre-existing cash cow. Imagine 100's of classic Nintendo titles for $19.99 each, they can keep some exclusive titles for consoles and dual screened handhelds sure, but what an terrific potential untapped resource to ignore.\
  • Reply 46 of 112
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree, but could have done without your insulting my political views in your title. We lefties are not the cartoon view you have of us. We value hard work and the rewards that come from it. Always have.

Hit a very sensitive never there I guess....
  • Reply 47 of 112
    I do agree that their is too much choice on the app store but I don't think that spells disaster. It's not the first time that we are presented with a lot of the same. I remember my days when I worked at the record store, every week we got lists and promo's for more than thousands songs. From those lists we chose the stuff we knew we could sell. As we where specialized in DJ stuff we couldn't use charts to predict sales. We needed to predict and dictate what would get in the charts.

Our record store was world famous in it's genre, people actually came from all over the world for our choice of records. Now that music moved online you can also find some pretty good music reviewers online that can guide consumers to the good stuff. What Apps need are professional App reviewers that test these apps; Yes there are App review sites but I haven't found one yet that is really a trustworthy source.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

Nintendo needs to join the masses. If they released their titles at a higher price point maybe then Nintendo can make a change in the App Store bottom line prices. A release such as Super Mario Brothers, which I believe sold about 9 million copies, if it was a quality game app(same as console version) I would easily buy for $20-30. Possibly even more, I mean it would be another few million copies sold, from a pre-existing cash cow. Imagine 100's of classic Nintendo titles for $19.99 each, they can keep some exclusive titles for consoles and dual screened handhelds sure, but what an terrific potential untapped resource to ignore.\

I agree completely. I would pay that for Mario Brothers on the iPad. ...as long as it had updated graphics. I bet it would do well on any system as long as they updated the graphics. Just don't change the game. Only the graphics. There's a reason it was a big success.
  • Reply 49 of 112
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Consoles head toward online gaming, indie developers

Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have more recently attempted to address the needs of indie developers via new download-based online stores, ranging from Nintendo's WiiWare to Sony's PlayStation Network and Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade.

"Head toward"?

"More recently"?

I don't even understand the point of this paragraph?
    • Xbox Live launched Nov/2002.

• XBLA launched Dec/2004.

• PSN launched Nov/2006.

• WiiWare launched Mar/2008.

I suppose you could say that consoles "head toward" online gaming... but only if this article was written 8 years ago.
  • Reply 50 of 112
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

"Head toward"?

"More recently"?
    • Xbox Live launched Nov/2002.

• XBLA launched Dec/2004.

• PSN launched Nov/2006.

• WiiWare launched Mar/2008.

I suppose you could say that consoles "head toward" online gaming... but only if this article was written 8 years ago.

All of which predate the Apple App Store which started in Summer of 2008 less than 3 years ago. What a maroon. \

All the console manufacturers had a huge head start on Apple and still blew it. When the iPad 2 diffusion unfolds this Spring, its power is going to re-revolutionize the mobile game market among other market segments due to its radical increase in processing power.
  • Reply 51 of 112
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I agree completely. I would pay that for Mario Brothers on the iPad. ...as long as it had updated graphics. I bet it would do well on any system as long as they updated the graphics. Just don't change the game. Only the graphics. There's a reason it was a big success.

I would also pay for os x to install on my intel box.
  • Reply 52 of 112
    tashatasha Posts: 1member
    Trip is all about making mediocre games that will hit the bargain rack and make money through volume. 3D0 only had a few top shelf games everything else was just cheaply done sequels or spin offs of the Best Selling games. At 3D0 everything was micromanaged by idiot upper managers who have no clue how to make a good game. (BTW EA is run nearly the same way).

So Trip is back to making crap games, but now he's crying because the market is crowding out his junk. No wonder he ran 3D0 into the ground. Well it really doesn't matter to Trip, because he's already rich.

OH, and iPhone/iPad will probably really hurt the Portable gaming market (and is starting to do just that). Full on Console gaming will be uneffected by iPad. People who play those game want much better controllers, graphics and game play than Apple can deliver on a portable platform. So those huge multimillion dollar game projects are still pretty safe. Though with the recession, only games that are fun and have good game play are really succeeding. So, the big Game companies need to start a project and allow the Dev Team the time and resources to complete the project and without a lot of micromanagement. Constantly changing the scope and feature set of a game is a sure way to kill it. Also wasting the teams time by having them write a ton of demos for the management team is also short sited. Too many games are either ruined or end up being canceled for those reasons.
  • Reply 53 of 112
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Unfortunately apple has gone down the angle that windows did with their software availability. Hundreds of thousands piece of shit software, with a few pieces of good ones. Sure apple can highlight the good ones, but finding something decent in an area apple does not care to highlight is a frikin abomination, and the user reviews in the store are frikin awful.

Probably why i have only brought four apps in three years.

4 apps in 3 years? Yeah, that has nothing to do with app quality. That's just you. It's undeniable that there's thousands of extremely high quality, innovative, useful apps on the store, most for under $1. If you can think of a better system please share, because so far I haven't used anything with the discoverability of the appstore.

Look at a game like tiny wings. Extremely simple, made by one guy, no advertising/marketing. It has shot up to #1 simply because people tried it, loved it, and recommended it.
  • Reply 54 of 112
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    As Thomas Paine once said, "Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way!".

Apple chooses to lead.
  • Reply 55 of 112
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I would also pay for os x to install on my intel box.

Will never happen.
  • Reply 56 of 112
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

All of which predate the Apple App Store which started in Summer of 2008 less than 3 years ago. What a maroon. \

I don't get that either?

maroon
    1. To put ashore on a deserted island or coast and intentionally abandon.

2. To abandon or isolate with little hope of ready rescue or escape

3. A dark reddish brown to dark purplish red.

• Reply 57 of 112
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Alright, who moved that guys cheese? come on now, fess up!

Lmao
  • Reply 58 of 112
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Of course it's dead on arrival. Did anyone here see the Uncharted demo? Unimpressive graphics considering the hub-hub the specs made, and completely effed up gameplay as well. Using the touchscreen as a gimmick! The thing has four action buttons, two analog sticks and two shoulder buttons and STILL the devs think making you press the screen when you have to jump or climb a log is FUN!

I mean, the touchscreen should be kept there only for games that use it as the main input method (aka, the unique games that came out tailored for the strengths of touchscreens). Uncharted is NOT one of those. It's a running/climbing/shooting game.
  • Reply 59 of 112
    jimlatjimlat Posts: 12member
    But more importantly, the App Store is a meritocracy, where good apps make a lot while thousands of junk apps make little or nothing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'm trying to figure out the bad in this

There is none, unless you're into social justice, where everyone, no matter how good, gets the same thing...
  • Reply 60 of 112
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The irony of Trip's whining is that the App store creates exactly the sort of meritocratic market that was in place when he started Electronic Arts. The very early EA even applauded the developers and had their names and photos on the box-art. They were the stars.

That didn't last long. EA turned into a monster, where they controlled the games market with expensive brands and expensive game titles. The franchises became the stars.

It's all started to fall apart now. Can you hear that high pitched noise?

That's the collective whining of the passengers on the gravy train as it starts to de-rail.

Here's another whine from Nintendo's Satoru Iwata.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...es-developers/

They don't like this meritocracy stuff. It undermines their sense of entitlement.

C.