$539 32 GB Xoom's at Sam's Club

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Competition is a great thing... I am shocked that Motorola dropped the price that much...

Although there is nothing to confirm that these are indeed 32 GB versions...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    vesselvessel Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Competition is a great thing... I am shocked that Motorola dropped the price that much...

What do you mean by that much? From $599 to $539? Also, what makes us so certain that this is Moto's pricing and not Sam's Club?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

there is nothing to confirm that these are indeed 32 GB versions...

Moto hasn't announced any other version, such as a 16GB or 8GB version.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vessel View Post

What do you mean by that much? From $599 to $539? Also, what makes us so certain that this is Moto's pricing and not Sam's Club?

Because the MSRP was $599....?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Because the MSRP was $599....?

Walmart is huge, if they bought a bunch of tablets from Moto, and wanted to push them at $60 under MSRP, so be it. I can't see too many people buying them at $800 off contract through Verizon.

Played with Xoom today at BB, actually not that bad, but I don't what I would really do with a tablet, although the 9-10 hour battery life of it or the iPad would be tempting on long flights. I actually might lean more towards the Xoom, as I already have a iPod Touch (and Pre Plus) and haven't used an Android device yet.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Walmart is huge, if they bought a bunch of tablets from Moto, and wanted to push them at $60 under MSRP, so be it. I can't see too many people buying them at $800 off contract through Verizon.

Played with Xoom today at BB, actually not that bad, but I don't what I would really do with a tablet, although the 9-10 hour battery life of it or the iPad would be tempting on long flights. I actually might lean more towards the Xoom, as I already have a iPod Touch (and Pre Plus) and haven't used an Android device yet.

I think I would also lean more towards a Xoom as well. You can't beat the customization you can put into android devices. I won't be getting it because it's still ridiculously expensive for what it is, and I'm on AT&T.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I was quite amazed at the $539 price point. Usually Sam's Club isn't that great on their prices compared to BB, Target, etc. If the Xoom is sitting at a below price point than iPad in most retail locations, for the first time in a long while, Apple may have some serious competition sitting next to them on the store shelves...

Xoom has a lot going for it that give the appearance that it is better hardware (e.g., SD expansion, higher resolution display, LED flash for camera, etc). I am curious to see how this plays out....
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

I don't give a sh*t who's pricing it is. I see a signs for a very comparable device (arguably better) priced below Apples' iPad 2. If this pricing is indeed true and it is for the 32 GB version, then you can bet every retail store that has a iPad 2 on its shelf will also have a Xoom sitting next to it cheaper...

Quote:

They must have forgot to clear everything with you before hand... They announce general configurations, not specific. Perhaps Motorola/Walmart came to an agreement and are selling an exclusive.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    miroddmirodd Posts: 15member
    I just wonder to how many people the $60 difference will matter or, rather, will it matter to enough people to make much difference:

1. Consumers are used to paying more for Apple products.

2. Sam's Club/Walmart, while big, isn't available everywhere. Take NYC, for example. Sam's Club/Walmart has zero presence in Gotham. There are four Apple stores NYC, with a fifth one rumored for Grand Central Station (unless you live in, work, or have visited NYC, you have no idea how many people pass through GCS daily). Surely, one could just order it from Sam's Club, but I think most people would prefer to play with the device before they commit to a purchase. That's said, NYC is just one city, so I'm not sure how much it matters either, but it is a fact to consider.

3. Apple's marketing is superior to Moto's and most companies. VZW marketing department is very good, but they won't be advertising the WiFi only version. Let us not forget that perception, which is what marketing tends to shape, is job one, especially for a new product.

4. Availability? When is the WiFi only version set to hit the streets, or, rather, Sam's Club? If it comes a month after, how many people will still care? And even for those who do, Apple will have probably sold a million or more iPads by then.

5. Where are the apps, man? And not apps in general, but those specifically designed for Honeycomb.

6. This is a good price only if it is, indeed, the 32GB version, which has not been confirmed. As suggested, Walmart has entered into exclusive deals with manufacturers before. I believe they had one with Apple once, but don't quote me on that.

I will admit that the Xoom has equal, and, in some cases better, hardware specs than the iPad 2. I have even considered it, but there are certain apps (in the App Store) that I need, which are not available for any Android device and especially not for Honeycomb. I have even e-mailed one developer, who said he never considered making an Android version, though he might give it a go, but it won't happen anytime soon. Android is more free and widgets are great, but the overall availability and quality of apps matter to me as much as price. I'm sure that's not true for everyone, but I'm also sure that there are many for whom it is paramount.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Guys - its $539 with a contract. $799 without a contract. iPad has no contract...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    miroddmirodd Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Guys - its $539 with a contract. $799 without a contract. iPad has no contract...

Not true. Only the 3G version is $799 (without a contract) and $599 with a contract. It's $599 for the WiFi-only version with no contract, but Sam's Club is expected to sell the $599 WiFi-only version for $539.