Apple rumored to ditch glass back for aluminum with iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new rumor claims that Apple will abandon the glass back design it introduced with the iPhone 4, and replace it with a new aluminum back, similar to the very first iPhone, with its next model due out this summer.

The report claims that issues with scratches and paint mixture for the white iPhone 4 have allegedly prompted Apple to switch to aluminum, according to Taiwan's Economic Daily News (via Macotakara). Citing a Chinese source, the publication claims that Apple will adopt a design similar to the iPod touch for the iPhone 5.

In addition to scratching and difficulty painting the glass back of the iPhone 4, the report claims that the weight of the glass has prompted Apple to reconsider its use in the fifth-generation handset.

Apple is also rumored to be looking to abandon the steel outer frame of the iPhone 4, which doubles as the device's antennas. That design decision led to bad publicity when it was discovered that covering a section of the antenna could degrade a wireless signal.

Instead, the report claims that Apple will use a special resin for the Apple logo on the back of the device. Cellular and Wi-Fi data will reportedly travel through the logo, just like Wi-Fi does on the iPad.

Finally, the Taiwanese newspaper also states that there is "no doubt" the iPhone 5 will sport the same A5 processor as the forthcoming iPad 2. It also predicts Apple will stick with its typical annual release schedule, announcing the device at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, in June or July, as it has done in years past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I had an original iPhone and the aluminium scratched incredibly easily. They should just do the back in gorilla glass.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    eswinsoneswinson Posts: 99member
    Maybe we will finally see an application of the transparent aluminum that Scotty invented
  • Reply 3 of 122
    At least AI didn't use that ridiculous mock-up photo macrumors published.

As a matter of my own humble opinion, a white faced iPhone 5 with a back side that mirrors the iPad 2 would be gorgeous.

Seems the iPhone 5 is the next up for the rumor mill. Let it begin! Only 4 months to go!
  • Reply 4 of 122
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    The Apple logo also radiates feelings of awesomeness peppered with your occasional smug moment. =p
  • Reply 5 of 122
    Aluminum? Really? Look, I don't know of a single aluminum-backed iPod that is free of scratches. I do know iPhone 4s that are free of scratches. But yeah, these rumors?>_>
  • Reply 6 of 122
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    It's expensive because it generally requires human hands in manufacturing, especially for complex shapes, but for such a simple small form, it would be cool to see a carbon fiber back.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    The IP4 design works better as a camera than the previous design. (easier to hold) So, hopefully, if they do change the design up, the changes won't be too retro.
  • Reply 8 of 122
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Responding to BAD PUBLICITY about POOR RECEPTION, Apple decide to make their next phone out of RADIO OPAQUE METAL!

Sorry, but this story maketh sense not.

C.
  • Reply 9 of 122
    The next iPhone is going to retake the smartphone market. Nobody is going to be able to match it. Everybody else is just barely beginning to play catch up with the iPhone 4, but the 5 will blow us all away.

It will have a great look and feel! Widgets on the lockscreen, liquid metal and carbon fibre everywhere, voice activated, complete and total NFC freedom with no security issues, free turn by turn directions, dual core with better battery life, one phone for all-world use on any protocol, lots and lots more stuff in iOS 5 (stuff that no competitor in the world is even thinking about), SD card slot, and more RAM than anybody else, and most importantly, it will be lighter in weight than any other smartphone on the market.
  • Reply 10 of 122
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    I really like the design of the iPhone 4. I think it looks and feels awesome, and while the antennae issue was real, it was so easily avoided that I hardly see it as a major issue.
  • Reply 11 of 122
    If you have ever had an errant piece of carbon fiber in your hand or finger you would understand a major problem with splinter-able carbon fiber objects. You cannot find it with typical hospital instruments. A significant piece of flesh will be removed to rid and alleviate the infection.
  • Reply 12 of 122
    chaohwachaohwa Posts: 2member
    I read the original article of Economic Daily News and there is NO mention of both aluminum back and new antenna design. They do mention that iPhone 5 will be on sale as soon as this summer. This article is all about the parts suppliers who will benefit from iPhone 5. Both aluminum back and new antenna design are the guesses by Macotakara.
  • Reply 13 of 122
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Did people miss the article last week about the new material they will be treating their products with to prevent scratches? Switch to aluminum, use nitride, hey look no scratches.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_coating.html
  • Reply 14 of 122
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    The only real pro for aluminum on the back of the iP5 is weight.

Getting rid of the glass on the back could save Apple quite some weight.

And yes I like the design of the iP4 as it is now.
  • Reply 15 of 122
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

At least AI didn't use that ridiculous mock-up photo macrumors published.

As a matter of my own humble opinion, a white faced iPhone 5 with a back side that mirrors the iPad 2 would be gorgeous.

Seems the iPhone 5 is the next up for the rumor mill. Let it begin! Only 4 months to go!

There isn't much left to guess about though is there?

We know the processor, NFC...

Body type/form factor and screen size are basically the only hardware related mysteries out there.

I think I'd rather start seeing the rumor mill churn on iOS 5, which is much more far-reaching for apple, and also not much is known yet.
  • Reply 16 of 122
    kaptainkkaptaink Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I really like the design of the iPhone 4. I think it looks and feels awesome, and while the antennae issue was real, it was so easily avoided that I hardly see it as a major issue.

Ditto, I think the flat glass back is much nicer and more classy looking than the tapered edges on the iPod Touch and iPad. Furthermore it makes the iPhone stand out as some much more than just another one of the Android clones. The iPhone is heavy but I think it approaches the sweetspot for phone weight, if something is too light it is just as unpleasant to use.
  • Reply 17 of 122
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Did people miss the article last week about the new material they will be treating their products with to prevent scratches? Switch to aluminum, use nitride, hey look no scratches.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_coating.html

The nitride treatment is on a stainless steel surface. Maybe Apple wants to use a steel back?
  • Reply 18 of 122
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Body type/form factor and screen size are basically the only hardware related mysteries out there.

I think I'd rather start seeing the rumor mill churn on iOS 5, which is much more far-reaching for apple, and also not much is known yet.

Amen to that. Anything hardware related is just spec related, and I think we have finally left behind the spec wars. We know it will be faster etc etc, might have a better camera, might have a faster connector, faster downloads, combined 3G/CDMA etc etc whatever, but none of that has much effect on how you use it.

On the basis if absolutely no knowledge whatsoever, I think that OS5 could be one of the biggest leaps yet. A proper notification system, improved mobile me features, a couple of extra background APIs for auto downloading content for subscription apps etc so new content is waiting for you, not downloaded when you first try to access it etc. It's all about what you can do with it, not on speed baselines etc. The spec bump on the iPad 2 shows there is only so far they can go with hardware, the real interest in in the OS, and always has been for me. Can't wait to see the next full revision, I think it's an opportunity to make some serious inroads into the small number of places that things like WebOS and Android do better.
  • Reply 19 of 122
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Well, there's still guessing about if there will be a single phone that works on both Verizon and ATT (my understanding is that the chip in the Verizon iPhone could theoretically support both, assuming they could get the antennas for both in the design. And just for fun toss in speculation if the next iPhone will support LTE.
  • Reply 20 of 122
    I dunno about all that but the iPhone 4 is so amazingly designed it is bad. It reminds me of the G4 cube, incredible, they learned a lot and it went away.

The glass is so hard it breaks with no effort, won't scratch though. The external frame with the antenna break points creates weak points that send impact energy into the glass even more so.

The edges are sharp and uncomfortable in the hand. It basically requires a case or it is not pleasant. The edges also are too close and the palm of the thumb hits the touch screen very easily.

Even plonking the thing on a hard surface such as a stone table without a case feels risky.

The iphone4 for me, in my hand typing this now is one of those things which is so impressive it kinda fails in being what it needs to be.