Apple rumored to ditch glass back for aluminum with iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by autism109201 View Post

Aluminum? Really? Look, I don't know of a single aluminum-backed iPod that is free of scratches. I do know iPhone 4s that are free of scratches. But yeah, these rumors?>_>

i think you've confused your metals.

my aluminum 2nd gen iPod nano is pretty scratch free... there are dings and dents from the several times i've dropped it... but very few scratches.

i really wish Apple would turn to aluminum on the iPod touch... the current stainless steel back scratches way to easily.
  • Reply 22 of 122
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I truly dislike the way the iPhone 4 looks, especially when placed in a case, what were they thinking?
  • Reply 23 of 122
    Oh and if anyone wants to come back with the ol nugget "you should treat it with care"

Forget it!

You should treat an ornament with care, a phone, a computer.. they are tools and should take random handling not be a prissy piece of porcelain.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

The nitride treatment is on a stainless steel surface. Maybe Apple wants to use a steel back?

But that is going to almost triple the weight in comparison to aluminum.

So a steel cover with 1/3 of the glasses thickness has still the same weight.

I think they still can save some weight but a lot less.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I truly dislike the way the iPhone 4 looks, especially when placed in a case, what were they thinking?

i both agree and disagree... i think the iPhone 4 is beautiful, but put a case on it and it usually looks ridiculous. especially those bumpers...
  • Reply 26 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

Maybe we will finally see an application of the transparent aluminum that Scotty invented

In the movie/TV series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (which predates Star Trek) the large windows in the bow of the Seaview were said to have been made out of transparent aluminum. Just FYI.

Anyway, I've had enough of glass, aluminum, and plastic. I want the backside of the next Apple product to be made of something else. Something that feels good in the hand.

Know what feels good in my hand? Money. Yes, I think the back of the next iPhone should be made of money.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

i both agree and disagree... i think the iPhone 4 is beautiful, but put a case on it and it usually looks ridiculous. especially those bumpers...

++

The iPhone is beautiful as it is delivered by Apple. Putting a case on it just makes it ugly.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    Despite "Antennagate" (which was only a performance issue in the USA because of the comparatively poor quality of AT&T's 3G coverage and not the iPhone 4's design, and even then not for every user), the iPhone 4 remains the best, fastest-selling handset Apple has produced to date. Last Summer's bad press had little baring on iPhone 4's success and has little influence on Apple's plans for the device (specifically, its design) going forward, as evidenced by the iPhone 4's introduction to the Verizon network. If a major design revision was only a few months away, wouldn't Verizon have waited until then to offer the coveted iPhone? The iPhone 5 could possibly get a tech bump (e.g., A5), but a complete design overhaul… just for a version in white? It's possible, but I doubt it. And I really hope not; I like the current design.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    The glass was way too brittle so I suppose going back to aluminum is a good idea... but personally I've never owned an iAnything that wasn't in a case, so I don't really see it as much of an issue.
  • Reply 30 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

The iPhone is beautiful as it is delivered by Apple. Putting a case on it just makes it ugly.

You know what: Jobs and Ive and Apple got so caught up in the iPhone design, they completely forgot how the phone would actually be used. That is: By people who would never, ever win a Gold Glove (i.e., dropping things is a way of life), and by people whose hands would inevitably short-circuit the antenna.

Telling people "not to hold it like that" just doesn't work. For often-distracted, average folks, all you can ask is that they hold it without dropping it.

The next phone needs to be less precious and more conscious of the real world.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I had an original iPhone and the aluminium scratched incredibly easily. They should just do the back in gorilla glass.

I had a completely different experience than you. I also had the original iPhone, and it remained in pristine condition despite never using a case for it. I tried using one of those suede pouches for about a month, which was of great help in cleaning the old screen (no oleophobic coating yet). But it took too long to get it out to answer a call, so I went back with no case. I never got any scratches, and found it to be much more resistant to scratches than the 3Gs. I would love a return to aluminum.

As for your comment about gorilla glass on the back, that's what the iPhone 4 has now and I think that is the problem. Even though it looks and feels great, it is still proving to be a bit too brittle with no case. Likewise it has been scratching more than expected.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

...has little influence on Apple's plans for the device (specifically, its design) going forward, as evidenced by the iPhone 4's introduction to the Verizon network. If a major design revision was only a few months away, wouldn't Verizon have waited until then to offer the coveted iPhone...

I don't think you can look at the lack of design change for Verizon as an indicator of anything. Apple wouldn't have accelerated their design process for that, and they wouldn't have wanted to "ruin" the iPad launch by revealing any new technology (like the A5 processor). And no, Verizon wouldn't have wanted to wait until summer. By then there was a chance ATT would have passed them in subscriber numbers, which would be viewed as a major coup by ATT. If they had waited there would be even more of their subscribers jumping ship to ATT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

You know what: Jobs and Ive and Apple got so caught up in the iPhone design, they completely forgot how the phone would actually be used. That is: By people who would never, ever win a Gold Glove (i.e., dropping things is a way of life), and by people whose hands would inevitably short-circuit the antenna.

Telling people "not to hold it like that" just doesn't work. For often-distracted, average folks, all you can ask is that they hold it without dropping it.

The next phone needs to be less precious and more conscious of the real world.

Just like buttonless shuffle. They designed it because they could. Which of course brings us back to the Jeff Goldblum quote from Jurassic Park: "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
  • Reply 33 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I had an original iPhone and the aluminium scratched incredibly easily. They should just do the back in gorilla glass.

I still have my original and it has no scratches on the aluminum. The glass (and it's not Gorilla, that's a Trademark) scratches more easily.
  • Reply 34 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

Maybe we will finally see an application of the transparent aluminum that Scotty invented

Scotty didn't invent that, he just mentioned and used it
  • Reply 35 of 122
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Aluminum? While stronger than the glass on the i4, it still scratches and gets scuffed up too easily. Also, I think this current design just looks great and feels great. I don't have the reception issues. Also, for recording during certain scenarios, lying it on its side and being upright is very convenient.
  • Reply 36 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Instead, the report claims that Apple will use a special resin for the Apple logo on the back of the device. Cellular and Wi-Fi data will reportedly travel through the logo, just like Wi-Fi does on the iPad.

Yeah, through the logo AND around the bezel.

And by special resin they mean plastic. "Special resin" ?
  • Reply 37 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Aluminum? While stronger than the glass on the i4, it still scratches and gets scuffed up too easily.

It'll be in a case for 99% of people no matter what they do.
  • Reply 38 of 122
    I doubt very highly if Apple will return to a simple aluminum back, especially a stamped aluminum back. Not only is it "yesterday", but it isn't taking advantage of developments and licensing made by Apple with their LiquidMetal affiliate. Plus, stamped or machined aluminum is now very easy for competitors to replicate, and would probably result in too thick a structure for Jony Ive.

I am predicting that the new back will leverage the inherently scratch-resistant characteristics of LiquidMetal -- which is very stout stuff -- as well as injection moulding, which will reduce the amount of materials used, the weight, resulting in a thinner, lighter, and stronger back. Plus, it would be easy to then insert a plastic Apple logo, given it was "in the mould". With Apple's exclusive license on LiquidMetal, this would provide a substantial barrier to entry for competitors.
  • Reply 39 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

I both agree and disagree? I think the iPhone 4 is beautiful, and the black Bumper looks classy.
  • Reply 40 of 122
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Move on, nothing to see here. Not going to happen.

Scratches? FUD. There's not one scratch on any iPhone 4 I've ever seen. Not on the front or the back. Mine has never had a case on it in 9 months. Guess since I don't carry around pockets full of diamonds..