Apple rumored to ditch glass back for aluminum with iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Anyway, I've had enough of glass, aluminum, and plastic. I want the backside of the next Apple product to be made of something else. Something that feels good in the hand.

5 ply birch? You could stain it to match your decor.
  • Reply 42 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

If [Verizon] had waited there would be even more of their subscribers jumping ship to ATT.

They did literally say Verizon "didn't want to wait" at the launch.
  • Reply 43 of 122
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Scotty didn't invent that, he just mentioned and used it

Scotty gave the formula for transparent aluminum to Dr. Nichols who gets the credit. But who really invented it? Hmmm
  • Reply 44 of 122
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcoz

I think I'd rather start seeing the rumor mill churn on iOS 5, which is much more far-reaching for apple, and also not much is known yet.

Very true. We all know the iPhone 5 hardware will be great: it's going to be an update to the iPhone 4, which is already pretty awesome, with the negatives of the design fixed (easy to break, external antenna), but probably it will look a whole lot like the iPhone 4. As for specs, a dual-core CPU seems a no-brainer, NFC is very likely, maybe a somewhat bigger screen, maybe 4G, maybe double the RAM to 1 GB, maybe make the entry-level iPhone 5 have 32 GB Flash and introduce a 128 GB version, maybe a somewhat better front-facing camera and a back camera that shoots 1080p. But that's about it, not much more I can think of to make the iPhone 4 better.

iOS 5 on the other hand is still one big mystery, even for people like myself who are ADC members and usually get a heads up months before an official release. Not a single preview or hint about iOS 5 yet. I really think it's going to be a pretty major update that will add all the last bits that people on 'the other smartphone OS' have left to bitch about: better notifications, homescreen customization, and more. One of the possibilities I see happening is more integration with OS X, something like what Motorola tried with the Atrix, but much better, to allow writing applications that are universal for iPhone, iPad AND OS X, and let you work on exactly the same files on every device. Image taking your iPhone 5 to a random Mac, holding it in front of it, and bang! the mac automatically switches to exactly the same desktop and computer you have at home, with the same files, the same settings, the same background, the same everything. They could use the nfc chip for authentication and a cloud-based service for your applications. I've read speculation about this before, and it sounds pretty cool to me (as long as you also keep the option to install and use stuff strictly locally of course).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Anyway, I've had enough of glass, aluminum, and plastic. I want the backside of the next Apple product to be made of something else. Something that feels good in the hand.

Know what feels good in my hand? Money. Yes, I think the back of the next iPhone should be made of money.

Yes, either from money, or from boobies.
  • Reply 45 of 122
    I have liked each iPhone iteration having owned the first iPhone, a white 3Gs and now an iP4.

The iP4 is the best electronic device I've ever owned. Having said that, when the iP5 comes out I will sell my 4 and get the 5. That with an iPad2, an ATV and I'm good to go!
  • Reply 46 of 122
    I guess they give it a cover just like the iPad!

A mix of aluminum and black glass could be really pretty. Something like the iMac would be awesome.

But I wonder how they can make it look just as good on pictures, cuz that's simply what makes people get sold to the product! Having pictures of a new iPhone everywhere should be prettier pictures than the iPhone 4 model. I'm not kidding here, cuz that's a way of making a new product more awesome than the old one - make it look "NEW!" in commercials to make people forget the already pretty iPhone 4.

They have a real issue here, if you ask me! Diamonds would do for the girls, but I'm no girl. A 4" screen would do for the boys I guess? Maybe some liquid metal?

Another problem, if I take off the bumper(!) I'm scared it get scratches or eventually breaks! No glass on the back would do!
  • Reply 47 of 122
    How about a plastic back but with that sort of suede finish that I've seen on some dumb phones. Of all the models I owned the aluminum iPhone most felt like holding a bar of soap. Very slippery and I dropped it a lot. I do not use a case for my ip4 and have been lucky to have dropped only once. No damage. I got the free bumper but the silicon makes it hard slip in and out of my jeans. Plus it is thinner and prettier w/o the case...
  • Reply 48 of 122
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

As for your comment about gorilla glass on the back, that's what the iPhone 4 has now and I think that is the problem. Even though it looks and feels great, it is still proving to be a bit too brittle with no case. Likewise it has been scratching more than expected.

No, the iPhone 4 has 'gorilla' glass on the FRONT only, the back is not made from 'gorilla' glass.

As pointed out by Ireland, it is not 'Gorilla' glass.

It is aluminosilicate glass (similar to gorillas products) this is a chemically strengthened glass product and is expensive, which is why the back panel is made from cheaper glass and is more prone to scratches. I have an iPhone 4 and have had no issues with either the front or rear glass scratching but did get a couple of marks on the steel band caused by the rubber bumper case.
  • Reply 49 of 122
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor claims that Apple will abandon the glass back design it introduced with the iPhone 4, and replace it with a new aluminum back, similar to the very first iPhone, with its next model due out this summer....

The only thing I can't decide is if this whole thread is an April fools joke, or if the original "leak" was an April Fools joke played on Apple Insider.

Anyone who believes this nonsense for a second deserves a slap.
  • Reply 50 of 122
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

Maybe we will finally see an application of the transparent aluminum that Scotty invented

Scotty didn't invent transparent aluminum. He only showed somebody else how to make it.
  • Reply 51 of 122
    Aluminium oxynitride

Thats what they want to be using. Its ceramic material made from Aluminium and can stop a .50 cal round. Its a wee bitty expensive but should do the trick.
  • Reply 52 of 122
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Seriously, if Apple thought putting 3G in the Apple logo was a good idea, they would have done it with the iPad, which has a much larger Apple logo.
  • Reply 53 of 122
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Aluminium oxynitride

Thats what they want to be using. Its ceramic material made from Aluminium and can stop a .50 cal round. Its a wee bitty expensive but should do the trick.

Put it on iPad, then the soldiers can insert an iPad into their bullet vest and it doubles as armor plating.
  • Reply 54 of 122
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Responding to BAD PUBLICITY about POOR RECEPTION, Apple decide to make their next phone out of RADIO OPAQUE METAL!

Sorry, but this story maketh sense not.

C.

Antenna is outside of the case. So it doesn't matter what material the back is made out of.
  • Reply 55 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Put it on iPad, then the soldiers can insert an iPad into their bullet vest and it doubles as armor plating.

Genius !

• Reply 56 of 122
    pretty much everything apple makes is from machined aluminum. we know apple wants to save weight and cost. we pretty much know what is going to be in the phone. its the over all design of the phone which people are going to wonder about. I would look to the ipad to see where apple is going. I know my ipad has been very durable. hopefully someone will leave their iphone 5 in a bar
  • Reply 57 of 122
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Yeah but then people will be trying to shoot thru the Apple since that would not be of the same material most likely "Aim for the center, it's where their weaker Apple logo is!" heh
  • Reply 58 of 122
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Instead, the report claims that Apple will use a special resin for the Apple logo on the back of the device. Cellular and Wi-Fi data will reportedly travel through the logo, just like Wi-Fi does on the iPad.

I find that hard to believe. The iPad has a big logo on the back, and it wasn't good enough for cellular reception, they had to add another hole at the top.
  • Reply 59 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

No, the iPhone 4 has 'gorilla' glass on the FRONT only, the back is not made from 'gorilla' glass.

As pointed out by Ireland, it is not 'Gorilla' glass.

It is aluminosilicate glass (similar to gorillas products) this is a chemically strengthened glass product and is expensive, which is why the back panel is made from cheaper glass and is more prone to scratches. I have an iPhone 4 and have had no issues with either the front or rear glass scratching but did get a couple of marks on the steel band caused by the rubber bumper case.

This is completely false.
  • Reply 60 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, through the logo AND around the bezel.

And by special resin they mean plastic. "Special resin" ?

Did you know that there are at least two thousand different specialty resins used in in plastic injection molding?