AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
AT&T revealed that it will continue to honor unlimited month-to-month 3G data plans for grandfathered customers when the iPad 2 launches on Friday. Also, Samsung has said it will not delay its Galaxy Tab 10.1, despite comments that the company would revise its design after seeing the iPad 2.

AT&T data plans

AT&T has confirmed that grandfathered unlimited data plans will continue to be offered on the iPad 2. AT&T began offering iPad customers contract-free unlimited data plans for $30 per month when the device launched last year.

New customers can no longer buy an unlimited plan, as AT&T began capping plans at 2GB of data last June. New iPad customers can get 2GB for $25 per month, or 200MB for $15 per month.

The iPad 2 launched this Friday at 5 p.m., and will be available at both AT&T and Verizon stores, as well as Apple retail locations and others. AT&T's chief competitor, Verizon, offers monthly iPad data plans of $20 for 1GB, $35 for 3GB, $50 for 5GB and $80 for 10GB.

AT&T last week added a postpaid data option for iPad users last week. This Friday also marks the release of iOS 4.3 for the iPhone 4, which will enable the Personal Hotspot feature for AT&T customers, allowing tethering of a 3G data connection over Wi-Fi for an additional $20 per month.

Samsung says Galaxy Tab 10.1 isn't delayed

Samsung has said that it will not delay its forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1, according to Yonhap News Agency. The company made a statement in response to comments from a company executive, who said that the company was looking to improve "inadequate" parts of its forthcoming 10.1-inch tablet after Apple unveiled the iPad 2 last week.

Specifically, Lee Don-joo, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile division, said that it was the thinness of the new iPad that surprised the company the most. Apple's iPad 2 has a thickness of 8.8mm, or just 0.35 inches, which is a third smaller than the first-generation device.

Samsung's own Galaxy Tab, shown off at this year's Mobile World Congress, is listed at a similar weight, but slightly thicker at 0.44 inches. Despite Samsung's statement that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will not be delayed in the wake of the iPad 2, the company has not yet announced a release date for its forthcoming tablet, which will run Google Android 3.0 Honeycomb.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Nice. Samsung is going to start selling a product that its own executives have stated is inadequate.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    It won't be delayed because they haven't announced a release date! It's semantics!
  • Reply 3 of 53
    It's not delayed... it's smooth...
  • Reply 4 of 53
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's not delayed... it's smooth...

Quite smooth.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    In related news, AT&T also provides legacy crappy coverage for iPad customers, no matter when you signed up for your data plan.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Still really curious how this will work. I have an unlimited iPhone 4 plan. $20/month for a tether option is actually too much, but I might byte (!) if in a pinch (!) if the tether option was offered month to month. I rather suspect I will be required to downgrade and sign up for continuous tethering.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

It won't be delayed because they haven't announced a release date! It's semantics!

Exactly! Samsung can puff all it wants about no delays from its position of safety. but its actions speak much louder than its words: 7 inch tab was supposed to beat 9.7 inch iPad, but is now inadequate; .44 inch is, too! What about that lousy 6 hours of battery! Skinny up and cut it to 4.5 hours!

So, no delays, Sammy! No delays.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's own Galaxy Tab, shown off at this year's Mobile World Congress, is listed at a similar weight, but slightly thicker at 0.44 inches.

In other words, it is a total porker. It is MUCH thicker than the iPad, and we all know that the iPad 3 will be thinner yet! These guys are always competing with Apple's old products, while Apple is busy working on the iPads 3. It is gonna be SWEET!
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

7 inch tab was supposed to beat 9.7 inch iPad, but is now inadequate; .44 inch is, too! What about that lousy 6 hours of battery! Skinny up and cut it to 4.5 hours!

Nobody can beat the iPad's specs. All they can do is to try to catch up, but by then, Apple will have pulled ahead again.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    If you jailbreak your iPhone, eightzero, then you can tether unlimited data with MyWi from Cydia.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Still really curious how this will work. I have an unlimited iPhone 4 plan. $20/month for a tether option is actually too much, but I might byte (!) if in a pinch (!) if the tether option was offered month to month. I rather suspect I will be required to downgrade and sign up for continuous tethering.

You bet, I have unlimited on Ipad, want to keep it going so I dont have to be concerned with usage. I would love a monthly option to add tether, while keeping my monthly unlimited,(I know - more money to ATT), but it still aint gonna happen.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Exactly what I was going to say. With no release date announced, they CAN delay it but just insist that's when they were originally planning on releasing it whether that's true or not.

What a joke.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    Off topic, but anyone else notice the giant Xoom ads on the main page?
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

I wish that they were all iAds. That would be sweet!
  • Reply 15 of 53
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Just as long as I can transfer my unlimited 3G data plan from my iPad one to the first 4G iPad when it comes out down the road. Heh. Heh. Heh. :-p

I don't use 3G at home at all unless the cable goes out. Video looks HORRIBLE on 3G.

But I do use 3G in short bursts while riding the long island rail road into NYC or if I am in a cafe or somewhere in the city that is not within range of a free wifi hotspot.

Is there a way on the iPad to check how many gigs of data you've used up so far in the month? I've went into the settings icon and looked under the ATT cell data, but there was no button to check that.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

iPAD 15 minutes of fame are over? Slim tablet running iOS which is a full generation behind Honeycomb, which was specifically designed for tablets is not going to sell well when superior alternatives such as Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy are available.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

That's my fear as I'm in the same position, though I'm less tempted to bite. I'm looking at getting an iPad 2 for some upcoming classes. Fortunately, everywhere I'm anticipating needing it has WiFi. I still think the carriers are milking us. Long-time AT&T iPhone customers should only be required to pay a minimal additional charge for tethering. $20/month and a downgrade from an unlimited plan seems like too high a price to pay.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I hate to see tiered pricing plans. It should just be $20 unlimited with a warning for people who obviously abuse it. Those who decide to download every movie known to man can be surcharged and the rest of us can go about enjoying our meager usage.

If it were $10-$20 per month, a lot of people would just activate it and let it roll over. At $30 or more a month, most of us are going to activate it as-needed.

They'd make more revenue by pricing it lower.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:

Nope, using ClickToFlash.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I hate to see tiered pricing plans. It should just be $20 unlimited with a warning for people who obviously abuse it. Those who decide to download every movie known to man can be surcharged and the rest of us can go about enjoying our meager usage.

If it were $10-$20 per month, a lot of people would just activate it and let it roll over. At $30 or more a month, most of us are going to activate it as-needed.

They'd make more revenue by pricing it lower.

Agreed.