Apple to cut products from retail stores and expand personalized setup

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Wouldn't have to do that if everyone has a tablet.

I think this is actually mostly true. Tablets will eliminate the clumsiness of laptops in such settings. As long as tools exist to quickly and smoothly annotate documents like presentations (a lot of people print them and follow along so they can make notes on them)...then you have closed most of the gap.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post

Let me correct that for you:

Wouldn't have to do that if everyone has a tablet that can read all versions of Microsoft Office documents, PC and Mac, flawlessly.

In my experience, my coworkers can easily create a PowerPoint presentation that can't load at all in Keynote, or Keynote just puts every animation on top of the last keyframe, making a half dozen copies of the same object/slide. It's a very messy import that rarely works flawlessly in the presentations we have.

And then there's Pages/Word, or Numbers/Excel which isn't even a close comparison.

I suspect you'll see at least viewing tools for the main Microsoft document types (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) on the iPad soon.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    Smart move on Apple's part. Much of the space, in my local Apple Store, is wasted on 3rd party stuff that Apple could just as easily sell online. By providing a more personalized buying experience, they will further differentiate themselves. People buy Apple products not only because they are more elegant, but because the Apple Store provides a home-base and 'lifeline' to consumers. That's my opinion...
  • Reply 44 of 75
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

I think it has more to do with using that retail space for things that generate more revenue. I can't imagine that most people buying Macs / iPods / iPhones aren't some of the 200 million with iTunes accounts. But then - I could just lack imagination.

I don't know what personalized setup has to do cutting software products from the stores. The software sits on wall space - it doesn't take up any room. If they want to cut software from the store because they want people to use the App Store, that's one thing, but it has nothing to do with making physical space available for personalized setup. The space used to sell printers does take up floor space, but in the real world, both in business and at home for photography and other projects, people still need to print, no matter what Apple thinks. I would never buy a printer or scanner at an Apple store anyway, because they generally charge full list price.

I bought my last MacBook Pro from an independent dealer and I bought lots of software at the same time. If they didn't sell software, I would have wound up buying much less. You can negotiate with a sales person, but you can't negotiate with the App Store.

And I still like the idea of having my (expensive) apps on a CD, if only for backup and sales verification purposes.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I don't know what personalized setup has to do cutting software products from the stores. The software sits on wall space - it doesn't take up any room.

You haven't seen that many Apple stores, I gather. Not all of them are set up like the "mini" stores. The larger Apple stores have freestanding shelves in the middle of the floor for boxed software titles. I doubt you'll see much change in the mini store setup, as there just isn't that much space to be gained.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    If apple is cutting products it is likely to do with poor sales, like any other company
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

But aren't Mac supposed to be easy to set up? Here's the real reason...

Steve did a lot of bragging during the recent iPad event about how Apple has "over 200 million accounts with credit cards." So they eliminate some of the software they sell in the store, and if someone wants it they'll get them set up on iTunes, make sure they enter their credit card information, and show them how wonderful it is to buy apps from the Mac App Store. I'm sure some bean-counter at Apple has already projected how much more Mac App Store sales they can get if they could just get people hooked on the Apple kool-aid before they leave the store.

Not that it's necessarly a bad thing. But don't think this is much more than a way to get more people buying apps from the Mac App Store where Apple probably earns a much higher profit than selling boxed software in their retail stores.

Edit: Not to mention that it will encourage developers to get their software into the App Store if Apple stops selling the boxed versions.

Couldn't agree more Wiggin! In my mind it means more resources (money) for Apple to develop and improve their current products and develop new products, too. The "tech part of my life has been made 100 times better, since my switch years ago from a clunky windows machine to my Apples. My television entertainment is better b/c of ATV and my cell phone that I rely on so much is a dream compared to the Samsung RAZR copy I had.

I want Apple to be even more successful. I'm just looking down at my Apple wireless slim keyboard, magic trackpad and magic mouse all bought after my original intel iMac. Apple just innovates the crap out of everyone else!

Best
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

You must be new here

Also, a printer? Really? Printing is increasingly becoming a niche market. When you can carry anything you would need to read or show another person on a handheld device like an iPad or iPhone, printing isn't necessary.

I agree, I'm almost looking for things to print!
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Apple is maximising the return on per square foot sales which is already the best in the business.

Brilliant! That's the first rule of retail!
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Who actually buys printers and hard drives at/in/from the Apple Store?

All software should move to the download model. (Well, maybe not Adobe as way too often you need the damn discs for CS).

I actually bought my printer and hard drive from an Apple Store.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I suspect most people who go to an Apple Store and buy an Apple product already have Apple iTune's accounts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm sure some bean-counter at Apple has already projected how much more Mac App Store sales they can get if they could just get people hooked on the Apple kool-aid before they leave the store.

• Reply 52 of 75
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    I was recently at the main store in San Francisco and they have done that. There are more accessories at the company store in Cupertino.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

That's like saying: "Not everyone has electricity in their home". Computers are now internet devices. People need to keep up with basic requirements or risk being left behind.

Since the rise in availability of broadband internet, I've wondered why software continued to be distributed on discs. This is Apple once again being ahead of the curve.

You point out how foolish his comment really is and I bet he doesn't even see it.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    I was in an Apple store Saturday evening 3.5.11, plenty of boxed copies of MobileMe available.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

In fact, I don't have internet at my home, and I know about a hand full of people who don't either. You say you've wondered as if the answer isn't obvious: Not everyone has internet.

Why don't you have Internet at home? Is it too expensive?

Do you own a Mac?

Not judging, just curious. I don't know of a single Mac user who doesn't have broadband. Maybe I'm living in a bubble though.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Regardless of what people think about putting products on display in stores, they should at least admit that looking at a picture of a product on a screen is a lot different than being able to see it in real life.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Regardless of what people think about putting products on display in stores, they should at least admit that looking at a picture of a product on a screen is a lot different than being able to see it in real life.

Your winning argument is that seeing a box cover of software is more informative about the product than an entire website and an internet of user reviews, video clips and demos/trials devoted to it? Unbelievable!
  • Reply 58 of 75
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    does the personalized setup cost? $50?
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple should design and sell its own printers.

Oh no. Apple used to be in that business, but it got axed along with all the other money losing products Apple used to sell, during the Second Coming of Stevus.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by perfdata View Post

I was in an Apple store Saturday evening 3.5.11, plenty of boxed copies of MobileMe available.

Im glad they are ditching a commercialy packaged product. There isnt even software in the box. Mobileme is already part of mac os. The only thing in the stupid box is an authorization code. How would you een put that on the Mac App Store? Buy it and it emails it to you.

I purchased Apple technician training a few years back. They sent it to me in a box. Fedex lost the box. I got tired of the rigumrole and just asked if they could just send me the access code ( the training is all internet based). Apple said no, i had to get what was in the box. They would not tell me what was in the box, only that i would have to wait til they could send another. I waited assuming there was some special study materiAl in the box. I waited. I got the box after a few days. What was in the box? An access code. Nothing more.

Progress. Better late than never.