Adobe releases Flash-to-HTML5 conversion tool to support Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Adobe's newly released "Wallaby" application aims to expand support for Apple's line of iOS devices, including the iPhone and iPad, by converting Flash files into HTML5.

The new application available from Adobe Labs carries a codename and is dubbed "experimental technology." It converts artwork and animation contained in Adobe Flash Professional files with the ".fla" extension into an HTML format that can be opened on the mobile Safari Web browser on iOS devices.

"This allows you to reuse and extend the reach of your content to devices that do not support the Flash runtimes," Adobe wrote.

Once Flash files are converted to HTML, they can be edited with an HTML editing tool, or by hand. Content can then be viewed on a supported browser like Apple's Safari.

Adobe noted that not all Flash Pro features are supported in the HTML5 format, like 3D transforms, ActionScript, streaming sound, and embedded or external video. Supported features include images, layers, scenes, font embedding and FrameSets.

Wallaby is best used with Apple's iOS 4.2, as previous versions of the mobile operating system have known masking issues with HTML files converted from Flash. Remaining issues, Adobe says, are a result of a bug in the mobile Safari browser, and include artifacts when zooming and borders around masked artwork.

The lack of support for Adobe Flash on the iOS platform has been a major point of contention between Adobe and Apple. The debate came to a head last year, when Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs penned an open letter in which he slammed Flash as technology unfit for the modern era of low-power touchscreen computing devices like the iPhone and iPad.

Apple even went as far as to stop shipping Macs with Flash preinstalled, claiming the change ensures that users will install the latest version of the software for enhanced security and performance. But tests also found that the removal of Flash from the new MacBook Air boosted battery life by two hours.

As an alternative to Flash, Apple has pushed the HTML5 standard for its mobile devices, as it does not require any special plugins for a browser. Flash was also touted as a major feature of the new Motorola Xoom tablet, though the hardware shipped last month lacking support for Adobe's plugin.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adobe noted that not all Flash Pro features are supported in the HTML5 format, like 3D transforms, ActionScript, streaming sound, and embedded or external video. Supported features include images, layers, scenes, font embedding and FrameSets.

In other words, "enough for annoying full-page Flash rollover ads."

Can't wait to see those on my iPhone, I'm sure that will enhance the mobile browsing experience.

• Reply 2 of 86
    Seeing as how Action Script doesn't carry over... it makes this pretty much pointless, as every time I've designed a flash piece on a site I've USED ACTION SCRIPT to make damn near anything happen. Back to the drawing board Adobe.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Urinal Mint View Post

In other words, "enough for annoying full-page Flash rollover ads."

Can't wait to see those on my iPhone, I'm sure that will enhance the mobile browsing experience.

That's the danger of getting what you wish for. So many people on here have been clamoring for the death of Flash. But the advertisers aren't going to give up so instead of using a plug-in that can be disabled, you'll be stuck with HTML5 ads that can't be disabled.

Isn't progress wonderful?
  • Reply 4 of 86
    katastroffkatastroff Posts: 103member
    nice interface.

and feature list.... it converts anything that was done with macromedia future splash. YAY!
  • Reply 5 of 86
    inch by inch by bit by bit

adobe kicking and screaming moves to html 5

crumble tumble, 10 years and waiting as they bumble
  • Reply 6 of 86
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    It's very funny to see that Apple, who used to refuse ported apps when a conversion tool was used, wants that people who spend time coding in Flash use their program, so that a lot of iOS users can enjoy all that content they couldn't see because of Apple's decision. If I were a Flash developer, I would never use that.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rigogibson850 View Post

Seeing as how Action Script doesn't carry over... it makes this pretty much pointless, as every time I've designed a flash piece on a site I've USED ACTION SCRIPT to make damn near anything happen. Back to the drawing board Adobe.

yes, w/o AS support, that is a joke! I think, that is maybe a trick of Adobe, cause there is so few support for real cover, so they could say, you see, there is so few developer like cover their FLASH to HTML5, so iOS does not support FLASH is a incorrect choose....,
  • Reply 8 of 86
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

It's very funny to see that Apple, who used to refuse ported apps when a conversion tool was used, wants that people who spend time coding in Flash use their program, so that a lot of iOS users can enjoy all that content they couldn't see because of Apple's decision. If I were a Flash developer, I would never use that.

How is that a bad thing?
  • Reply 9 of 86
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

How is that a bad thing?

I misread the title of the post and read "apple releases" instead...
  • Reply 10 of 86
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

, or by hand. Content can then be viewed on a supported browser like Apple's Safari.

So with other words, nothing that makes Flash interresting will be supported. Why does Adobe bother to bring this tool out at all. I don't understand them anymore.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    I would imagine any client these days who hires a developer to build a site wants their site viewable on iPhones, iPads, etc. This sort of Flash-to-HTML5 converter tool is just a stop gap for lazy developers who don't want to learn HTML5 (and a way for Adobe to cash in on the declining dependence of Flash). One needs only to look at Apple's own website for an example of a rich, interactive e-commerce site that is completely Flash-free (there are many others). Apple's exclusion of Flash is derided by such nerdy/developer types who hate change. Too bad for them, Apple is looking out for the consumer, at the expense of some developer relations.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Cool. So now your can convert your existing flash stuff and switch to HTML5 full-time. Thanks adobe!
  • Reply 13 of 86
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    I can't believe they haven't done this yet. They're touting html5 but without tools, how do they expect it to take off?
  • Reply 14 of 86
    Great! You can convert your timeline animations, but you can't convert those annoying, counter-intuitive, search-engine unfriendly, show off-ish Flash-Based Navigation sites!

Adobe Is Wise!
  • Reply 15 of 86
    footballfootball Posts: 47member
    I hate Flash and Flash based sites.

For the most part they are annoying and lame. Confusing to navigate, stupid sounds and can't make text larger. Completely useless.

Flash can't die soon enough for me.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 17 of 86
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 18 of 86
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Hmm... If only there were a vendor neutral HTML5 tag that supported <video> and <audio> natively...

• Reply 19 of 86
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Is it not possible for Adobe to make an app that allows for creation of animation (timeline) directly in HTML 5? Not a nerd here but doesn't Dreamweaver create html code for websites already, why does HTML 5 appear to so intimidating to some developers and Adobe? Can anyone help here?
  • Reply 20 of 86
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

That's the danger of getting what you wish for. So many people on here have been clamoring for the death of Flash. But the advertisers aren't going to give up so instead of using a plug-in that can be disabled, you'll be stuck with HTML5 ads that can't be disabled.

Isn't progress wonderful?

You forgot the part in the progress where some hacker figures out how to create a html5 ad block.

As for the main article, I was rather hoping that Adobe would stick to their guns a while longer. I do hate Flash but was a little proud of them for having the balls to flip Jobs the finger. And I was really hoping they would make Flash work to shut up the naysayers. This just feels like Jobs was right along and they are too lazy to do it right so they are giving up.