Best Buy denies rumors of iPad handout to all staff, considers multiple devices

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A Best Buy spokesperson has gone on record denying a recent rumor that the electronics retailer plans to distribute iPads to all of its sales staff, while admitting that it is still deciding which handheld devices to use in a limited capacity on the sales floor.

After a report claimed last week that big box retailer Best Buy was planning to give iPads to each of its on-floor sales associates in its U.S. stores, a Best Buy spokesperson denied the claim, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The electronics giant did, however, confirm that it was considering purchasing a limited supply of devices to aid retail staff, though it has yet to decide which devices to use.

?While we plan in the future to supply each store a limited number of handheld devices to use as sales tools when assisting the consumer, we have not many (sic) any final decision at this time,? the Best Buy representative said.

Best Buy's "Connected Store" pilot program is currently testing a range of tablets, including the Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Motorola Xoom. The program attempts to emulate the Apple Store experience by providing interested customers with hands-on time with the devices.

Additional comments from the retailer appeared to suggest that the company is looking into a point-of-sale custom application for use in its retail stores. ?We continue to evaluate all handheld devices and platforms, looing (sic) for the best solution to aid our employees on the floor,? the representative said.

With 1,100 stores in the U.S., Best Buy holds the title of the nation's largest electronics retailer.

In recent years, Apple and Best Buy have worked closely together to offer Apple's products in the retailer's stores. Just as with the original iPad, Best Buy will carry the iPad 2 at launch.

A recent rumor claimed that Apple could advance its partnership with the retailer by bringing its Genius Bar technical support service counters to Best Buy stores later this year, in hopes of selling more Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    In other words, if the rumor sounds far-fetched, it probably was

Ditto with the so-called iPad 3 this fall.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

Someone was contacted by another tablet maker saying they will pay them to use theirs...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    People working at best buy probably make peanuts. I doubt that Best Buy would give every one of these people an iPad. If a rumor sounds too ridiculous to be true, then it most likely is pure baloney.

Retina display for iPad2? iPad3 in fall?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Translation ...

Reporter: "Is the rumors you've giving iPads to all your floor staff true?"

Best Buy PR Guy: "What!?! No, no, no, nooooooooo ... Do you have any idea how much those things cost? I mean at $500 a pop, times 30,000 employees ... you do the math man. Nah, if anything we might ... and I emphasize ... might consider giving our floor staff an HP Slate."

[another Best Buy PR support employee comes up and whispers something into the PR rep's ear]

Best Buy PR Guy: "Apparently, I've just been informed HP only made 5,000 Slates, so we might have to reexamine our strategy here. Thank you for coming today. No more questions. Please buy our extended warranties!"
  • Reply 5 of 15
    czech44czech44 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

People working at best buy probably make peanuts. I doubt that Best Buy would give every one of these people an iPad. If a rumor sounds too ridiculous to be true, then it most likely is pure baloney.

Retina display for iPad2? iPad3 in fall?

as the previous article said, these tablets would not be actually given to the employees to keep. they would be handed out to them on the job and only used on the job, where they have to return the tablet at the end of the shift
  • Reply 6 of 15
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    With so much business dealings with Apple, they should stick with iPad. There is an Apple Store in every Best Buy.

So, Steve should send them a subtle message that convey the message that "either iPad or highway".
  • Reply 7 of 15
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Well unless they want to pay $800 per tablet plus one month activation they only have one choice.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Translation ...

Reporter: "Is the rumors you've giving iPads to all your floor staff true?"

Best Buy PR Guy: [...] I mean at a pop, times 30,000 employees ... you do the math man. Nah, if anything we might ... and I emphasize ... might consider giving our floor staff an HP Slate."

[another Best Buy PR support employee comes up and whispers something into the PR rep's ear]

Best Buy PR Guy: "Apparently, I've just been informed HP only made 5,000 Slates, so we might have to reexamine our strategy here. Thank you for coming today. No more questions. Please buy our extended warranties!"

That's so true... but then how many floor sale staffs they have 4,999?

*They ARE NOT for personal use i.e take home/gift. They are for use as a selling aid e.g. to look up details, stock, loan appl. and pay terminal

Extended warranties are a rip-off. How long does your average white goods last? You don't need to pay extra. Often, it is cheaper to replace or repair than the total amount you pay for the duration of the warranty.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by czech44 View Post

as the previous article said, these tablets would not be actually given to the employees to keep. they would be handed out to them on the job and only used on the job, where they have to return the tablet at the end of the shift

+1

As above...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    This whole "article" is just a big troll post. What the heck are Best Buy floor employees going to do with an iPad? Nothing. I can't think of one app that would be useful or help them do their jobs better on the floor.

Job Description:

Greet/Assist customers

Ring up purchases

General store cleanliness

Where does an iPad fit into any of that? Nowhere, in fact if you give floor employees iPads you're more likely to see job performance plummet. Wireless credit card swipers, maybe. But an iPad, sheesh, shame on you AI, quit trolling for hits.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    My company will be issuing iPads in the near future to all sales floor staff. We are not an electronics retailer, either. Just a big box retailer who wants to be ahead of the curve and the game. These iPads will be equipped with credit card payment scanners attached and will have specific apps to my retail company, developed for us, and for our customer's ease of shopping. I don't know what the specific apps are, they are being tight lipped about the specifics.

It's funny that everyone automatically ASSUMED it was Best Buy, since no other company could possibly think outside the box enough to incorporate such devices.

And to be honest, I know that there are some people who are going to call me a liar, but when this is completely rolled out by end of July, I'll be the one laughing because AI and I BOTH confirmed the truth of this post.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

That's so true... but then how many floor sale staffs they have 4,999?

*They ARE NOT for personal use i.e take home/gift. They are for use as a selling aid e.g. to look up details, stock, loan appl. and pay terminal

Extended warranties are a rip-off. How long does your average white goods last? You don't need to pay extra. Often, it is cheaper to replace or repair than the total amount you pay for the duration of the warranty.

+1

As above...

You do understand the concept of a joke, don't you ...? I never said, nor implied they were for take-home use. I have no idea where you got that from what I said. And I mentioned the extended warranties precisely because they are colossally stupid, and a waste of money (and because Best Buy is always shoving them down people's throats whenever you walk into their stores).

Dial it down a notch, and don't be so confrontational/serious ... I was making fun of Best Buy. Geez ... be more of a buzzkill.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

You do understand the concept of a joke, don't you ...? I never said, nor implied they were for take-home use. I have no idea where you got that from what I said. And I mentioned the extended warranties precisely because they are colossally stupid, and a waste of money (and because Best Buy is always shoving them down people's throats whenever you walk into their stores).

Dial it down a notch, and don't be so confrontational/serious ... I was making fun of Best Buy. Geez ... be more of a buzzkill.

They mean well at Best Buy, I think, but they sure do come across as pushy and annoying while trying to be helpful! I got the joke, I once worked for them.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Yep, way too "forward thinking" for an organization like Best Buy! Sorry to say.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperAppleGeek View Post

These iPads will be equipped with credit card payment scanners attached and will have specific apps to my retail company, developed for us, and for our customer's ease of shopping. I don't know what the specific apps are, they are being tight lipped about the specifics.

They are homegrown apps, so ask yourself what you do on a computer now and you have a good shot at figuring it out

Quote:

It's funny that everyone automatically ASSUMED it was Best Buy, since no other company could possibly think outside the box enough to incorporate such devices.

No one assumed anything. The source said Best Buy, who apparently are doing something on those lines

Quote:

And to be honest, I know that there are some people who are going to call me a liar, but when this is completely rolled out by end of July, I'll be the one laughing because AI and I BOTH confirmed the truth of this post.

they will call liar because you made a vague statement. If anyone other than Best Buy comes out using iPads by the deadline you can claim that is what you were talking about even if you were just mouthing off. If no one does and you are called out you will just claim there were difficulties. So basically it sounds like you are lying.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    The apps are going to be completely different from anything seen before in a store, so yes, I can guess to the general purpose, but not to ease of use and helpfulness of each app.