Mac OS X 10.6.7 inches closer to release as Apple seeds seventh beta

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The seventh beta of Mac OS X 10.6.7, the forthcoming maintenance and security update for the Snow Leopard operating system, was released to developers by Apple this week.

People familiar with the latest build said the latest version of Mac OS X 10.6.7, like previous builds, contains no known issues. The software update is reportedly known as build 10J868.

The software in its delta update form is said to weigh in at 541.5MB. It was released to developers late Monday, and comes about two weeks after the release of the sixth beta of Mac OS X 10.6.7, released in late February.

Developers with access to the latest software have reportedly been asked to focus on the same areas in the new build, including Safari, the Mac App Store, Bonjour, SMB and Graphics Drivers.

Mac OS X 10.6.7 is not expected to include any major additions or features for end users of the Snow Leopard operating system. Apple has instead turned its attention to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, which is set to launch this summer with new iOS-inspired features like application home screens and full-screen applications.

The last update to Snow Leopard came in early January in the form of Mac OS X 10.6.6. That brought with it the Mac App Store, a new digital download destination for Mac software, modeled after the success of the iOS App Store for the iPhone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asst. Prof. View Post

Lion is going to be awesome. Will it kill Windows? Probably!

If by kill you mean give a slight boost to OSX marketshare. Windows isn't going anywhere for years at least, no matter how much we may resent it.

EDIT: Unless you didn't mean marketshare by "Kill"
  • Reply 2 of 33
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    In theory TRIM should make it into 10.6.7
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

If by kill you mean give a slight boost to OSX marketshare. Windows isn't going anywhere for years at least, no matter how much we may resent it.

I'm going to agree with you, tipoo. Windows 7 was actually a pretty good update of a hell hole operating system to maintain and keep up and running properly. It was a good update, but not enough to keep me from finally making the switch.

I am very impressed with the ease and intuitiveness of use in Snow Leopard relative to Windows and won't be going back. I cut myself off completely and refuse to install Parallels or use Bootcamp or Fusion or anything else.

I'm not a "Power User" in the sense that I don't use any obscure programs that only are available for Windows.

Windows will never really lose meaningful marketshare until it begins to lose its foothold in the commercial sector, or 'enterprise' marketplace, as the new buzz word seems to be. If OS X can start to supplant Windows in any significant numbers there, then you will see the private/home market follow. We may actually be seeing the beginning of just such a scenario indirectly with iOS as the iPad and iPhone appear to be starting to really gain traction in just this space.

Exciting few years ahead to see what Apple's strategy here will be and how it will pan out.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    cdnbookcdnbook Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

In theory TRIM should make it into 10.6.7

Anyone know if TRIM will be in 10.6.7 for sure?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I think you've been had by a first post troll.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post

Anyone know if TRIM will be in 10.6.7 for sure?

If new MBP has it on 10.6.6, so makes sense.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Anyone have any idea whether TRIM will be supported for the 2010 MacBook Airs ?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I think you've been had by a first post troll.

Ah
  • Reply 9 of 33
    $20? $30?

I'm not paying anything over $50

Free would be great, but this is apple were talking about lol
  • Reply 10 of 33
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

$20? $30?

probably $129 .... thats what every other version of OSX has cost except 10.0 to 10.1 and the special upgrade version from 10.5 to 10.6.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

It is a maintenance and security update. As such, it really should be free.

Stop smoking and it will come to you.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Here's hoping Apple fixes the incompatibility between Safari and Flash on my 15" i7 Macbook Pro. The scrambled screens and reboots get very tiresome.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Here's hoping Apple fixes the incompatibility between Safari and Flash on my 15" i7 Macbook Pro. The scrambled screens and reboots get very tiresome.

I hope Adobe fixes the incompatibility between Flash and computing devices: crashes in OS X, crashes in Vista, crashes in Ubuntu. Undoubtedly Adobe will tell me I'm visiting the wrong sites...

Back on topic, any news on any improvements to SMB in 10.6.7?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    - Fix the Font menu spacing issue

- Fix the iPhoto permissions export issue

- Fix the daily Safari hangs

Then I'll be happy.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

$20? $30?

yes, this is Apple, LOL, thankful is not MicroSoft, otherwise kiss good bye to $229
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

$20? $30?

30 dollars was only done for Snow Leopard, as it added no new features. Other releases of OSX have been 130.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

It is a maintenance and security update. As such, it really should be free.

Are you serious, or just baiting us?
  • Reply 18 of 33
    I think this update better correct the widespread freezing problem in the new Macbook Pros. Has anybody else experienced this freezing?
  • Reply 19 of 33
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

- Fix the Font menu spacing issue

- Fix the iPhoto permissions export issue

- Fix the daily Safari hangs

Then I'll be happy.

yeah whats with safari lately... snow leopard has become a bit of a dog in someways, i hope lion isnt a hog on resources.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Are you serious, or just baiting us?

He's desperate for attention and is therefore baiting us. Don't get lured.