Apple's iPad 2 launch predicted to have stronger sales but shorter lines

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Has there been any confirmation that any other distribution point other than the Apple retail stores will have actual stock on hand on Friday?

Now that you mention it, I suppose I am just assuming. Even the Best Buy website indicates "coming soon."
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Knowing apple, you'll probably receive your order on the 11th.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

LOL, they always ship the day before and products arrive on doorsteps on launch day. LOL nice try. Welcome to the site though.

It appears that there will be no pre-orders for the iPad 2 though. When pre-orders are available, they always arrive on launch day.

This response is severely retarded. Apple is not going to take online orders until the 11th. Go look at their site.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teejayvee View Post

LOL, so now they have magical insta-shipping technology? I don't think so.

I think his joke was simply referencing the fact that many people (including myself), received their iphone 4's one day before "release day."
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

I think his joke was simply referencing the fact that many people (including myself), received their iphone 4's one day before "release day."

That's fine, but the problem is that there is no pre-order for iPad 2. They aren't taking orders until March 11. He apparently does not realize that, and yet he manages to be very condescending.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

My biggest concern is 18 SKUs!

I want the 32GB WiFi in Black.

I'm sorry we only have the 64GB Verizon in white left.

I think it is going to lead to a lot of frustration while supplies are constrained.

yup how much stock of each is available and which places.

Im debating where to go too. If I had some patience, I would just order and wait... but Ive waited long enough dang it!

Some questions if anyone knows -

Has it been stated that 3g models will be available at all locations?

Is the verizon plan month to month like ATT? No hidden fees?

I don't want to sign up for monthly(want the GPS more than anything), but if I do... IMO Verizon 'in general' has better coverage.

Is the GPS chip in CDMA chip any better or worse than the GSM chip?
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yeah, well most get given away. However with the rise of Gazelle.com, etc. this is becoming very common.

Didn't Target' say they are doing a buy back too? I expect the price to fall for the initial on-slaught.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    "International expansion will occur more quickly too, as Apple plans to have the iPad 2 available in 27 countries in the first two weeks. Last year, iPad shortages forced Apple to delay the international launch of its touchscreen tablet by a month."

Actually this was only the first-step International roll-out. In many countires we had to wait until November (!) before the iPad 1 was released.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:

That's fine, but the problem is that there is no pre-order for iPad 2. They aren't taking orders until March 11. He apparently does not realize that, and yet he manages to be very condescending.

I think if you step back from it you'll see he was just making a casual joke...it was actually a bit of a compliment to Apple. I think arguing about when online ordering will take place is taking the joke a bit literally. The gist of what he meant was, "Apple delivers their orders quickly." I agree.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asst. Prof. View Post

That's why it is foolish to compare one product against another. Apple's sales are distributed among 24 different iPads. Companies like Motorola only make one - so it is easy for them to claim that they outsell the iPad, because they only compare the ones that are comparable to the Xoom, instead of all of them together.

That's why they should compare all of the 24 iOS tablets to Android tablets, and not to any one individually.

Incidentally, this is exactly the opposite argument people use for how iPhones and Android phones...

Really, it depends on what you are trying to compare.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    *not* be confirmed yet but several online apple forums / websites are saying that verizon will be charging a $35 activation fee each time you resign up for 3G service on their iPad which would greatly effect your choice of carrier if you planned on using the 3G on occasion like you can on a 3G AT&T iPad.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Quote:

Where does everyone bet the shortest lines will be? Target seems like a good candidate. I would just order online but I'd like to play with it over the weekend.

I wish we could pre-order it and have it ARRIVE on the 11th. But I guess a few days won't make too much of a difference.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Jesus Christ. Lines? Lines at retail are indicators of a bottleneck in retail operations. This isn't trying to get into a trendy club. It's retail sales. Know what happens when there are lines at a fast food restaurant? People take their business elsewhere. If I were Apple, I'd pioneer drive-thru sales. Or order online for pickup at the local store.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Jesus Christ. Lines? Lines at retail are indicators of a bottleneck in retail operations. This isn't trying to get into a trendy club. It's retail sales. Know what happens when there are lines at a fast food restaurant? People take their business elsewhere. If I were Apple, I'd pioneer drive-thru sales. Or order online for pickup at the local store.

Lines at launch create news stories. New stories that make the average Joe or Jane say, "jee... look how many people want this, maybe I should want it too!?!" Later when Joe/Jane public goes in the lines are for the most part gone. Everyone is happy.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post

Lines at launch create news stories. New stories that make the average Joe or Jane say, "jee... look how many people want this, maybe I should want it too!?!" Later when Joe/Jane public goes in the lines are for the most part gone. Everyone is happy.

Steve is that you?
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Steve is that you?

I have it from a reliable source that DaHarder is actually Steve...
  • Reply 36 of 67
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Steve is that you?

Clearly, Suddenly Newton was addressing his post to JC can we presume that canyonblue is . . . Oh my! Is Steve JC?
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Apple's iPad 1 predicted to have strong resale postings on Craigslist
  • Reply 38 of 67
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I think a lot of people are missing out on the cheapness of an upgrade for those of us who will sel the original iPad ( most).

Most of last years 15M will upgrade, and the cost is just - if we stay with the same equivalent model - the cost of the depreciation of last years model. That seems to be about $200.

I don't have any data to back it up but I'm confident that nowhere near "most" buyers of iPads will sell them to upgrade. The average consumer does not sell stuff via eBay, Craig's list of what have you. I'd be surprised if much more than 10% of the original iPads are resold in the first year. Lots of people will buy iPad 2s and simply pass their iPad classic to a family member.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hell, 7 million people will buy iPad 2 just so they can use the SmartCover.

Nice to see that one of us "old guys" gets it right ... first time out.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

He said :It appears that there will be no pre-orders for the iPad 2 though. He gets it .... you don't.