Apple's iPad 2 launch predicted to have stronger sales but shorter lines

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    I sold my iPad 1 yesterday and now I miss it....I kind of wish I'd kept it just as a collectors item. :-/ I don't know if I should get back or white. It seems like the black border would look better with video (and I watch a lot of video on the iPad) but the white one is very appealing to me. I'm also not sure whether go to the Apple store, Best Buy, Target (which are on complete opposite sides of town). I can't go anywhere until about 5pm anyway, so that nixes getting in line early anywhere. I kind of have a hard time seeing that regular retailers will wait it out until 5pm to begin sales...
  • Reply 42 of 67
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post

I don't know that the average consumer is used to selling old electronics, most get passed down or thrown out... not put on eBay or Craigslist. That said I just sold my iPad 1 and look forward to the 2!

I think you're right that most will gift their old iPad rather than sell it. But between the two there will probably be a lot of repeat customers.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Lots of free advertisements for Target in this thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teejayvee View Post

Where does everyone bet the shortest lines will be? Target seems like a good candidate. I would just order online but I'd like to play with it over the weekend.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

I'm thinking Target, too. Not sure why...just seems lower profile. For some reason I imagine there might not even be lines at stores other than Apple. It's usually the fans who line up...(like me)...not the normal people, and I'd expect a huge proportion of apple fans to line up at Apple (which is why I won't be going there).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Has anyone seen anything on a launch time for Target, Best Buy, etc.?

Will it be 5 p.m. -- same as the Apple retail stores?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Didn't Target' say they are doing a buy back too? I expect the price to fall for the initial on-slaught.

• Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Has there been any confirmation that any other distribution point other than the Apple retail stores will have actual stock on hand on Friday?

I just got off the phone with my local best buy who 1) will have them in stock on Friday and 2) be selling them when the store opens, and not waiting until 5pm. I've also heard that walmart and sams club will have them too.

Im just hoping best buy will have all the accessories i need(want).
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

He said :It appears that there will be no pre-orders for the iPad 2 though. He gets it .... you don't.

He edited his post.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

yup how much stock of each is available and which places.

Im debating where to go too. If I had some patience, I would just order and wait... but Ive waited long enough dang it!

Some questions if anyone knows -

Has it been stated that 3g models will be available at all locations?

Is the verizon plan month to month like ATT? No hidden fees?

I don't want to sign up for monthly(want the GPS more than anything), but if I do... IMO Verizon 'in general' has better coverage.

Is the GPS chip in CDMA chip any better or worse than the GSM chip?

to help answer your questions:

1) I don't think its been stated. I sure hope so.. but i'd imaging everyone will have the wifi models and the more popular retailers will have some 3G models.... until the supply meets demand. Then it will even all out.

2) Yes it is month to month like ATT's... but whether there are hidden fees remains to be seen. To my understanding, there is no contract you sign with either.

3 & 4) Verizon does, "in general" seem to have better coverage (which of course is based on where you are located). But keep in mind that you will likely be making some trade offs depending on who 3G service you go with. Verizon's 3G tops at about 1meg up and 1meg down... and works in more places than AT&T's. But.. in many areas, AT&T's 3G tops out at 7.2mbps down and 3.6 up.. so you have considerably faster internet (where you can actually get good signal). ALso keep in mind these are optimal-condition-maximums so in most cases you will be getting less bandwidth with either service.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

iPad classic

Hahah, oh lord, are we really going to call it that? Makes me think of an iPad with a big hard drive spinning in it. "Yeah, it's got 250GB of storage ... only 30 minutes of battery life ... but look at all the useless crap I can store on here!"

Personally I'm seeing a lot of really lowball offers locally for iPad classics (heh) ... when a refurb direct from Apple is $349 people are openly snubbing anything over $300.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't like lines. I'll probably just go at 3-4 AM the day it comes out and pick one up. I'll be in & out like a ninja.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Indepth, fairminded article about the Xoom on Ars Technica. Their conclusion:

Quote:

The Xoom's impressive hardware specifications and ambitious feature lineup are intriguing, but the product falls short of its full potential due to a general lack of completeness. It feels like it was rushed to market and delivered to consumers prematurely. The number of headline features that are simply absent at launch is emblematic of the device's deficiencies.

The Xoom's assortment of absent features will likely all be available this Summer, but the launch configuration feels like a beta release. Consumers who buy it today will have to send it back in for a week at some point before they can get the complete product. I think bringing it to market in this condition was a pretty dubious move.

If you are looking for the best tablet available today, then look no further than Cupertino. If you are an Android enthusiast and you want a good tablet that runs the same software as your phone, you should wait a few months for everything to solidify before you decide which Android tablet you want. Don't jump for the Xoom just because it's the first?they rushed it out prematurely hoping to capitalize on exactly that.

Comments concur. My favorite:

Quote:

I am by no means an Apple fanboy as I personally hate the Apple culture (but I do have a Mac-mini just to toy with). I have been an adamant Android fanboy since getting my HTC Hero and now an EVO. Even I will not recommend Xoom to ANYONE. Buy yourself an iPad while it's cheaper or wait for the iPad2. You'll be able to do more out of the box.

• Reply 50 of 67
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Wow! mostly positive comments, for a change.

I got tired reading : "this product is better than Apple's _________ because other product has better technical specifications." Xoom got very positive reviews overall but with quite a number of caveats. These reviews emboldened Apple/Steve Jobs haters (or detractors) to gloat. One was so cocky that he will remember 11 March 2011

One even boasted he had BOTH the original iPad and the new Xoom. Now he is using mainly his Xoom, while the original iPad is gathering dust in his desk, or something. [Hmmm... I read the same boast here, I think, but even more. Was it DaHarder who boasted he bought one for each of his family member or something? And, that he literally has so many of Apple products, so he is not really just a troll???]

So, I posted this challenge:

One-on-one, if Xoom beats iPad2 in terms of unit sales between 11 March 2011 to 11 March 2012, I will pay the Xoom evangelizer the amount (in US Market price) equivalent to the top end version of iPad3 (WiFi 3G or 4G???) with highest storage capacity.

If Xoom loses, then the Xoom evangelizer must honor the bet for the same amount.

I posted a similar bet in one of the threads here, challenged nikon, and the others there who had nothing good to say about the iPad but all praises of the Xoom, inspite of its known promised but undelivered features as of launch -- Flash, 4G, etc., the very key specifications that were supposed to make the Xoom technically superior to the iPad.

NO TAKERS.

So to all Apple/Steve Jobs haters (or detractors) here -- nikon, DaHarder, TechStud (if you are hiding under a different name), etc. if you've got balls to back your convictions:

Bet your money to your racehorse and accept the challenge. Otherwise, I have a term for you: Windbags.

CGC

N.B.

Anyone who accepts the bet must be willing to send his/her money to an agreed upon bank, with a known site to serve as Arbiter.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I hope international shipping runs to schedule. I've already arranged for the day off work. I have gift vouchers left over from Christmas so I'm constrained to buy it at a particular store.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    We are replacing three of ours and relegating the v1 units to the office.

I do wish 4G would have been in the cards by now, and many reviews I've read have at least touched on this.

Lucky that most iPad users don't delve into the cellular realm that often.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't like lines. I'll probably just go at 3-4 AM the day it comes out and pick one up. I'll be in & out like a ninja.

You don't like lines but you are willing to queue up for 13-14 hrs (plus of course the time in the store unless you are first). LOL
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

You don't like lines but you are willing to queue up for 13-14 hrs (plus of course the time in the store unless you are first). LOL

I think the intent was to pick one up at a 24 hr Walmart and not have lines.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Called Apple (800-692-7753) and this is what they told me.

Apple Store: 5:00pm

Apple online: 2:01am (Central Time)

1. Free Standard Shipping (possibly up to 6 days)

2. Other retail stores are restricted to the 5pm sell time

They Are also getting peoples name + phone# so they can call you Friday morning to order that way as well. Well my plan was to go to Target since they open at 8am but oh well Looks like it will be 2:01am ordering for me since I cant get off work or off early...gggrrrr.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

The Apple store by my house is 24-7, so I won't have to wait at all. I'll be going after the iPad comes out.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

The Apple store by my house is 24-7, so I won't have to wait at all. I'll be going after the iPad comes out.

That's great, but they won't put the iPad 2 out for sale until 5pm. Additionally, stores will close before 5pm in order to prepare for the launch.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

That's great, but they won't put the iPad 2 out for sale until 5pm. Additionally, stores will close before 5pm in order to prepare for the launch.

I know that it goes on sale at 5 pm. I meant that I'll be going later on that night.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    dubbsdubbs Posts: 6member
    Quote:

I know that it goes on sale at 5 pm. I meant that I'll be going later on that night.

I'm guessng that's the amazing Midtown glass cube one? I wonder if they'll be sold out by that time...even if they are, they'll probably get a shipment at some point in the middle of the night, so I'm guessing you'll be able to get your hands on one somehow.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dubbs View Post

I'm guessng that's the amazing Midtown glass cube one? I wonder if they'll be sold out by that time...even if they are, they'll probably get a shipment at some point in the middle of the night, so I'm guessing you'll be able to get your hands on one somehow.

Yeah, it's the fifth ave. store. Of course if they're sold out, then I'll be out of luck, but I can't imagine that store not having a huge supply of iPads.