Adobe releases Flash-to-HTML5 conversion tool to support Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Adobe is waving the white flag; Apple has won.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    So in other words, this new tool lacks any useful features unique to Flash but allows you to create useless and annoying animated ads with little to no HTML skills.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 44 of 86
    deleted
  • Reply 45 of 86
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Lingo is not even close to being as full featured as today's Actionscript. You can do anything you want with Actionscript with the exception of writing files to disk which Lingo can do, but that has nothing to do with programming a touch capable interface.

I'm am a bit surprised that Wallaby does absolutely zero Actionscript since the language is almost identical to Javascript.

Because once again Adobe abandoned Director after the Macromedia merger. Director has gone thru one release in almost 8 years with mild updates..11.0, 11.5, 11.5.8, Adobe is getting lazier man. While Flash has had 4 Overhauls in the time, flash 8mx, flash 9, flash 10, and 10.1. They abandoned lingo almost 10 years ago for actionscripting. Their time would have been better spent working on Lingo.

They bet on the wrong pony. Sure Adobe claims that Flash has 95% web penetration, which they see as a success. Isn't a success something designed for the web should work on 100% of the web out of the box? That seems like more 5% failure to do the job HTML can do.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Adobe is waving the white flag; Apple has won.

This is not about who has won/lost IMO. It's about my experience of using the web.

At the end of the day, I wish Apple would be able to desktop version of safari with minimal changes into iPhone/iPad, but with Flash disabled as default and a switch in the setting to turn it either on or optional. That would satisfy most people.

HTML5, to me it's still far away. And who knows, maybe some company would develop ways to put ads in HTML5 format that cannot be removed in the future, so there's no point for me to say I support HTML5 over Flash etc.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    deleted
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Most people don't know what HTML5 actually is. Javascript and CSS they mistakenly call HTML5. There are some new tags in HTML5 but none of them are at all related to moving things around on the screen as in Flash-like animations.

It doesn't really matter. When advertising moves away from Flash, it's going to be a lot harder to block then just installing Click To Flash or some other Flash blocker. You're not going to be able to disable JavaScript or CSS without turning a lot of sites to crap.

You're left with filtering IP addresses. And that can partially be defeated since ther no longer has be to be a link to the ad network for the Flash object.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

As for the main article, I was rather hoping that Adobe would stick to their guns a while longer. I do hate Flash but was a little proud of them for having the balls to flip Jobs the finger. And I was really hoping they would make Flash work to shut up the naysayers. This just feels like Jobs was right along and they are too lazy to do it right so they are giving up.

OK, I'm confused... you hate flash ... but still wanted Adobe to "flip SJ the finger". Does this mean that you hate SJ even more than Adobe, or what? .... and if so, why?
  • Reply 50 of 86
    deleted
  • Reply 51 of 86
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

This is not about who has won/lost IMO. It's about my experience of using the web.

At the end of the day, I wish Apple would be able to desktop version of safari with minimal changes into iPhone/iPad, but with Flash disabled as default and a switch in the setting to turn it either on or optional. That would satisfy most people.

HTML5, to me it's still far away. And who knows, maybe some company would develop ways to put ads in HTML5 format that cannot be removed in the future, so there's no point for me to say I support HTML5 over Flash etc.

it's not about winning or losing. Its about what works functionality wise on a mobile device.

How do you use a desktop browser like safari that requires a mouse or touchpad click to naviagate the web and especially flash websites into a multi-touch-based mobile web browsers?
  • Reply 52 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Antiquated Flash is dead, and it’s never coming to iOS—even Adobe knows it.

HTML5 is supported by all major browsers today.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I wouldn't bet on that. Watch them more closely. These are early days still.

I'd wager that by the time HTML5 becomes ready for widespread use Adobe will have it as an output option in most of their tools.

Adobe does have HTML5 export in CS5. Shows what you know...
  • Reply 54 of 86
    deleted
  • Reply 55 of 86
    deleted
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:

From the article:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/illustrator_html5/
  • Reply 57 of 86
    deleted
  • Reply 58 of 86
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    I want to know when Lightroom will add HTML5 designs to its web page generator. I do not think this is rocket science. Output to MobileMe galleries would be nice, but not so important.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

There's just a lot of random hate all over this forum. When Steve says "Jump!", the fans ask "How high?"; the specifics of any given issue don't seem to matter much. People who never had an opinion about Adobe one way or another drank the hateraid in one gulp as soon as the infamous (and later backpedaled) "Thoughts in Flash" was posted.

Now Adobe plays ball and the haters still hate.

I guess this is what people do when they don't have an actual religion, they just get religious about trivial things.

Thanks for your opinion .... but I was more interested in what charlituna had to say.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    bibblerbibbler Posts: 74member
    Quote:

There's just a lot of random hate all over this forum. When Steve says "Jump!", the fans ask "How high?"; the specifics of any given issue don't seem to matter much. People who never had an opinion about Adobe one way or another drank the hateraid in one gulp as soon as the infamous (and later backpedaled) "Thoughts in Flash" was posted.

Now Adobe plays ball and the haters still hate.

I guess this is what people do when they don't have an actual religion, they just get religious about trivial things.

You are correct. It's obvious by the comments here that the majority of people posting here haven't got a clue what "HTML5" even is... "Flash Sucks" because "Steve says so"....

Oh gosh golly gee, I don't know how but it just works!! Over the past 20 years very little has changed in the Fanboy Extreme world!