Adobe releases Flash-to-HTML5 conversion tool to support Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Antiquated Flash is dead, and it?s never coming to iOS?even Adobe knows it.

HTML5 is supported by all major browsers today.

And any meaningful animations that use javascript/css on mobile safari suck, today. I think a lot of people forget that in their vitriol. There's only a certain number of cycles available on the portable machines...
  • Reply 62 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

When Flash exports animations this transition will be complete.

Web animations suck unless they are doing something useful like showing the solar system in motion or demonstrating how atoms exchange electrons in chemical reactions etc. In those cases HTML is never going to work because those type of complex animations are just not in the HTML/CSS/JS specification.

Web animations for slideshow or moving a bar charts are ok and can be done with HTML but spinning decorative gizmos and annoying ads are just really pathetic.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 64 of 86
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Although this is a positive sign, I'm starting to realize that more-and-more of Google's YouTube videos are not playing on my iPhone or my Apple TV.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    Quote:

When Apple backpedaled on their stance against Flash tools (see link above), they did so without ever explaining why.

Whether it was cowardly or just good marketing sense for Apple to avoid public explanation for the reversal, it leaves us all with the nagging question: Just how much of the rest of "Thoughts on Flash" does Apple themselves not really believe?

It is quite simple really. Apple originally stated that no third party compiled code could be used in iOS apps. As it turns out there was some very nice code being generate by third party 3D game engine helper applications that was advantageous for Apple to support for the marketing of iOS as a gaming platform. But in order to support the game engines they had to reverse their policy on third party tools which included Flash.

But Flash is far from an ideal way to make iOS apps for a number of reasons.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Although this is a positive sign, I'm starting to realize that more-and-more of Google's YouTube videos are not playing on my iPhone or my Apple TV.

So join the HTML5 trial...

Won't work on the Apple TV, but the iPhone? Sure.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Web animations suck unless they are doing something useful like showing the solar system in motion or demonstrating how atoms exchange electrons in chemical reactions etc. In those cases HTML is never going to work because those type of complex animations are just not in the HTML/CSS/JS specification.

Web animations for slideshow or moving a bar charts are ok and can be done with HTML but spinning decorative gizmos and annoying ads are just really pathetic.

Duh, ever heard of HTML5?s canvas element?

You and MacRulez are ignorant Flash astroturfers.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    Quote:

Duh, ever heard of HTML5’s canvas element?.

My apologies, but <canvas> is not part of html5 spec. Plus it sucks.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    Quote:

My apologies, but <canvas> is not part of html5 spec. Plus it sucks.

Liar.

Oh, and canvas works fine in a modern browser.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    Quote:

Liar.

Thanks for the update. I see it has been added. Most likely very recently since it was absent a month or so ago the last time I checked (Edit: still controversial working draft 2011-02-27). However it still sucks because you can't have user initiated actions inside it and it doesn't even contain addressable objects. It can only be refreshed in its entirety and does not allow vectors or text. In addition it is a total resource hog on the level of Flash. So yeah it still sucks.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    Yes, the canvas element was added recently, as of years ago (iOS 1.x supports it).

Give up; you?re looking really ignorant.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 73 of 86
    Quote:

When did I say HTML5 didn't have a Canvas object?

Clue: I don't even own Flash.

My point is you guys are clueless about this stuff.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    Quote:

Yes, the canvas element was added recently, as of years ago (iOS 1.x supports it).

Give up; you?re looking really ignorant.

Apple invented canvas. It did not get included into the draft until recently. It had been proposed but was not added until it could be determined to be completely patent unencumbered. And quit with the snotty remarks. I have no agenda here, simply a technical opinion and observation. I have no dog in this race. So Chill.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So join the HTML5 trial...

Won't work on the Apple TV, but the iPhone? Sure.

Yea, I'm running into many YouTube movies that aren't compatible with my iPhone or ATV. I tried them on my roommates iPhone 4 and the same thing happens. I'm starting to believe that Google might be moving away from converting all movies to MP4 maybe in preparation to their new format?
  • Reply 76 of 86
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I thought Apple didn't like flash for a reason. Will converted code run better?

Anyways, enjoy your massive advertisements lol
  • Reply 77 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Yea, I'm running into many YouTube movies that aren't compatible with my iPhone or ATV. I tried them on my roommates iPhone 4 and the same thing happens. I'm starting to believe that Google might be moving away from converting all movies to MP4 maybe in preparation to their new format?

I'd bet. They're complete imbeciles, though. H.264 isn't going away any time soon.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:

Apple invented canvas. It did not get included into the draft until recently. It had been proposed but was not added until it could be determined to be completely patent unencumbered. And quit with the snotty remarks. I have no agenda here, simply a technical opinion and observation. I have no dog in this race. So Chill.

gah, discussions here wouldn't complete without the snotty adobe shill crap.

People seem to forget, that adobe doesn't really make money of the flash plugin, they make money off of people buying flash pro. I doubt they care what plays the outputted file.

While I'm always happy to use simpler, more accessible ways to do cool usable things without having to use flash, having been around web dev since the 90s, I'm all too aware of the fact that "annoying" will continue to exist regardless of what technology is hip. At least with the animated gif hitting the escape key (on a pc) stopped them cold.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    This is just a beta version...
  • Reply 80 of 86
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

inch by inch by bit by bit

adobe kicking and screaming moves to html 5

crumble tumble, 10 years and waiting as they bumble

That's a bit silly.

"Adobe moves to HTML5" would be Adobe killing their Flash development tools and replacing them with HTML5 development tools.

"Adobe exports to HTML5" is more of what this is; just a little plan to coin on Flash developers looking to publish on iDevices.

I understand the size of ego on Apple's side is equivalent to the size of their margins, but I still feel it will take more than 1 company to kill Flash.