Apple rumored to unveil iOS 5, new MobileMe at media event in early April

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new rumor claims Apple will hold its annual iOS roadmap event in early April to show off iOS 5 as expected, but also states the company will also unveil an updated MobileMe service.

Citing a "confident" source, German site Macerkopf.de reported Tuesday (via Google Translate) that the event will be held in early April at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus. The timing would not be a surprise, as last year's iOS 4 preview event was held in early April.

But the inclusion of MobileMe in the annual event would be new, and could signal that anticipated changes to the cloud-based service will be heavily integrated into the next major release of Apple's mobile operating system for the iPhone and iPad.

In February, The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple plans to improve MobileMe by having the service act as a "locker" to hold personal data such as photos, music and videos. It was also said that Apple is considering making the service, which currently costs $99 per year, free.

Corroborating that information, The New York Times separately reported that Apple plans to roll out an enhanced MobileMe this year. It was said that Apple is working on improved "voice navigation" on the iPhone, allowing users to operate the device through voice commands without the need to rely on a virtual keyboard.

Further evidence of planned changes to MobileMe came as Apple discontinued the sale of retail boxes for the service last month. It has also been rumored that the new MobileMe will rely on self-storage from a home computer for streaming, rather than remotely saved files hosted by Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    That soon? Well, the sooner, the better: I suspect iOS 5 will bring us more tablet interface features and OpenCL support for that marvelous PowerVR 543 GPU !
  • Reply 2 of 109
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    If its not free then who cares, it would just remain an overpriced service you don't really need.

As for self storage, that's an awful idea. People turn there machines off otherwise its just a waste of electricity and money. Particularly if you have a laptop there's no real feasible way to have it on when your not around.
  • Reply 3 of 109
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

If its not free then who cares, it would just remain an overpriced service you don't really need.

As for self storage, that's an awful idea. People turn there machines off otherwise its just a waste of electricity and money. Particularly if you have a laptop there's no real feasible way to have it on when your not around.

Sure there is. Turn it on, keep it plugged in, walk out of the house. Boom.

IN FACT, I actually left my computer on for a month straight while I was in Iowa, and I used Orb to get to my photos and videos on my computer back home, both from my phone and from my laptop. It's pretty wild.
  • Reply 4 of 109
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    My wishlist for iOS 5:

1) Improved notifications. There is NO EXCUSE not to fix this **** in iOS 5

2) Ability to have information on the lock screen (like current weather conditions, missed calls, etc... stuff I can glance at without even "unlocking" the phone). The current lock screen is full of wasted space.

3) The ability to "Mark All Read" in Mail

That's about all I've got.
  • Reply 5 of 109
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Can't wait! Hopefully iOS 5 will bring better PN system and multitasking interface.
  • Reply 6 of 109
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Say what? Is English your first language?
  • Reply 7 of 109
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

I think you are missing something. It is certainly possible that a new feature in iOS5 might be the ability to stream your media from a home computer, over the internet to your iOS device. But what this is talking about is Apple's huge server farm basically hosting your media collection in the cloud for streaming to your iOS device. Your home computer would not be used in this scenario, so you could definitely leave it at home and turned off or in sleep mode.

As for turning computers off...I commend your desire to save money and energy, however, I think alot of people out there are not as eco-friendly as you and leave their machines on constantly.
  • Reply 8 of 109
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I don't mind paying for a service that keep the ads away and my data safe from third parties.

I wish Apple turn the Time Capsule to some sort of iTunes server. With TC you can already access the files stored on it using your MobileMe account. Maybe Apple could do the same with the iTunes library since the library is already backed up there.
  • Reply 9 of 109
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

My wishlist for iOS 5:

2) Ability to have information on the lock screen (like current weather conditions, missed calls, etc... stuff I can glance at without even "unlocking" the phone). The current lock screen is full of wasted space.

Hear, Hear! Except for the third one (which simply doesn't bother me), this is *exactly* my same wish. I would also like to add:

4) improved multitask switching!

First, the double-click thing is awkward. Second, it's silly to be able to side-scroll thru every single app on your phone. Every user I know simply switches apps the old fashioned way. The only thing the multi-task bar is good for is killing misbehaving apps (Words with Friends comes immediately to mind).
  • Reply 10 of 109
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    My short wish list includes:

1. Faster App startup

2. More inclusive keyboard that includes apostrophe, hyphen, and @ and .com on the 1st screen

3. It's be cool to have the option of requiring a definite 'tap' to register a key press while typing. After seeing what they've done in Garageband with faux pressure sensitivity, this is doable. That way, typists could optionally rest their fingers on the keyboard as they do with a hardware keyboard and only when they strike a key with some definite pressure would it register.

Typing speeds would skyrocket.

4. Haptic feedback when interacting with the OS and in appropriate apps.
  • Reply 11 of 109
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

My wishlist for iOS 5:

1. Absolute must - it's just a mess at the moment with no logic in how they behave.

2. I feel the same about the Spotlight screen too. One swipe left, remove the default keyboard pop-up, and it's begging for widgets. (Remember SJ called Weather and Stocks "widgets" in 2007 and afaik they've never appeared apps on the iPad - perhaps in IOS5.

3. Don't share that pain but I would like to mark SMS as unread. I like the unified mailbox but it feels awkward to get into drafts or sent on the separate accounts - I'd like that to be streamlined too.
  • Reply 12 of 109
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Can't wait! Hopefully iOS 5 will bring better PN system and multitasking interface.

Yes, those top my list.
  • Reply 13 of 109
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:

My wishlist for iOS 5:

4) Preference setting for backlight/sleep timer.

5) Optimized picture compression for the iPad in Aperture.

6) Folder ability in mail.
  • Reply 14 of 109
    w00masterw00master Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

1. Faster App startup

2. More inclusive keyboard that includes apostrophe, hyphen, and @ and .com on the 1st screen

3. It's be cool to have the option of requiring a definite 'tap' to register a key press while typing. After seeing what they've done in Garageband with faux pressure sensitivity, this is doable. That way, typists could optionally rest their fingers on the keyboard as they do with a hardware keyboard and only when they strike a key with some definite pressure would it register.

Typing speeds would skyrocket.

4. Haptic feedback when interacting with the OS and in appropriate apps.

All of these are "nice," but imho they need to fix notifications FIRST.

w00master
  • Reply 15 of 109
    Apple has got to get iOS 5 in developer's hands ASAP to exploit new hardware capabilities.

I suspect that the SmartCover iPad wake-up may be done with RFID/NFC rather than being magnet or proximity activated.

Probably won't know until iFixit teardown.

It is almost a given that next iPhone and iPod Touch will have RFID/NFC/

If the iPad 2 has it -- the iPad could be a great POST (Point Of Sale Terminal) among other things.
  • Reply 16 of 109
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Wow, where to begin. At the top of the list is notifications. Better lock screen. Mark all as unread in mail. Custom sound levels.

SWYPE!
  • Reply 17 of 109
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Every time there's an Apple event, they say Apple's going to unveil the new MobileMe.

I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 18 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

All of these are "nice," but imho they need to fix notifications FIRST.

w00master

Yes!

In order to do notifications properly, Apple needs to implement more liberal multitasking. For example: allow a PN (or a threshold of PNs) to wake up an app, that in turn retrieves any outstanding notifications -- the next time the user invokes the app, all the notifications have been retrieved & the app is current.

I think that the more robust hardware and iOS can do this with little cost in performance or battery.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

1. Faster App startup

Letters with apostrophe and the @ is possible:

1. Apostrophe over letters; á, ñ, ö, are possible if you hold your finger on the letter you want to have something added, and boom, there's all the different a's, n's, and so on.

2. With the @, same procedure: hold your finger down from the symbols-key, and drag it all the way to the @, and release, when you release, you're back on the regular keyboard. Boom.

Boom. Boom. (I know it's not the quickest way, but it's better than having five extra buttons. )
  • Reply 20 of 109
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    [Mistakes do happen]