Apple rumored to unveil iOS 5, new MobileMe at media event in early April

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I just started using it to make phone calls and it works quite well. Very helpful in my car that doesn't have bluetooth.

I find it annoying because it very often starts dialing the wrong person. My old dumb Moto phone had pretty decent voice recognition and as I recall it would say back something like "calling Bob. Is this correct?" and waited for a yes.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trondolsen View Post

Letters with apostrophe and the @ is possible:

1. Apostrophe over letters; á, ñ, ö, are possible if you hold your finger on the letter you want to have something added, and boom, there's all the different a's, n's, and so on.

2. With the @, same procedure: hold your finger down from the symbols-key, and drag it all the way to the @, and release, when you release, you're back on the regular keyboard. Boom.

Boom. Boom. (I know it's not the quickest way, but it's better than having five extra buttons. )

This is the tip of the month for me. Cool!
  • Reply 43 of 109
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Sure there is. Turn it on, keep it plugged in, walk out of the house. Boom.

IN FACT, I actually left my computer on for a month straight while I was in Iowa, and I used Orb to get to my photos and videos on my computer back home, both from my phone and from my laptop. It's pretty wild.

Good job the Earth has an infinite supply of energy then eh! If it didn't, it would be rather obscene to leave an unused computer on for so long wouldn't it?
  • Reply 44 of 109
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Why would those features be left off for 3Gs owners?

Generally speaking as each new version of iOS comes out the generation of phones two years previous is usually left out. For iOS 5 running on iPhone 5, this means that the 3Gs would be the old grandaddy phone that would be left out. It's not a lock but it's likely.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

I think you are missing something. It is certainly possible that a new feature in iOS5 might be the ability to stream your media from a home computer, over the internet to your iOS device. But what this is talking about is Apple's huge server farm basically hosting your media collection in the cloud for streaming to your iOS device. Your home computer would not be used in this scenario, so you could definitely leave it at home and turned off or in sleep mode.

As for turning computers off...I commend your desire to save money and energy, however, I think alot of people out there are not as eco-friendly as you and leave their machines on constantly.

I shut the lid at the very least. Plus the comp goes insto sleep automatically after 30 minutes of inactivity.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    I'd like to see MobileMe free and go head to head with gmail and the other google online apps.

2¢ of mine
  • Reply 47 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Good job the Earth has an infinite supply of energy then eh! If it didn't, it would be rather obscene to leave an unused computer on for so long wouldn't it?

Well, it *was* being used though. Just remotely.

Oh, and technically the Earth actually *does* have a virtually infinite supply of energy, or at least so close to it that it isn't worth arguing about. It's just a matter of how to access it. There is more energy (potentially) in a grain of sand than that necessary to power all the computers in the world for years.

If only we could figure out how to get it out of there!
  • Reply 48 of 109
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

FRAGMENTATION! Tens of millions of iOS devices that cant update to the latest OS, my gosh it sounds a lot like ANDROID!

Its already happening, though not the same way it happens with android. Androids have devices that come out tomorrow that wont get the update that came out last week or the one that will come out next month. They get the one that comes out in two months that is approved by the carrier and has the little configurations put in by the manufacture.

Quote:

Well sure, eventually, but you made it sound like 3Gs was cut off as of iOS5. I would be extremely shocked if this were the case. it still has great performance compared to the 3G.

This exact thing has happened with each new iPhone release since the 3GS cam out.

iPhone 2G is stuck at 3.1.3

iPhone 3G is stuck at 4.2.1

iPhone 3Gs WILL stop at 4.3.0-X

I am willing to bet the iPhone 4 will stop at iOS 5.x right when 6.x is coming out, we will have this whole conversation again.

They kill off two year old products. Just watch wait and see.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

It seems that in years past by now we usually have heard some whispers about the next iOS, and devs have it and we know a thing or two about what is coming. But this year it seems much more quiet. I wonder if some big changes are coming. Here's hoping~

Yeah! There are some things in the iOS 4.3 beta/GM that have not been discussed because of NDA.

One thing I expect to see in iOS 5 is OpenCL support -- if the new GPU supports it. Depending on the number of GPU cores, GCD (already available in 4.2) and OpenCL APIs would help developers to efficiently exploit the new hardware -- 2 CPU cores and hopefully 2 (or more) GPU cores.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

... I would also like to add:

4) improved multitask switching!

First, the double-click thing is awkward. Second, it's silly to be able to side-scroll thru every single app on your phone. Every user I know simply switches apps the old fashioned way. The only thing the multi-task bar is good for is killing misbehaving apps (Words with Friends comes immediately to mind).

What do you mean by this?

I am also really tired of the double-clicking, but are you saying that you don't like the gesture solution either? And what is this "old-fashioned" way you speak of?

IMO, the five finger gestures are an brilliant, excellent solution, far better than anything I've seen anywhere else.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The only person I know who does that is my grandpa who also logs off his email service after getting mail.

Modern computers with energy saving features use an insignificant amount of energy when in sleep mode and are designed to be left on 24/7.

Yes! I think that you also get a power surge each time you turn the computer on or off. Multiple power surges could easily consume more energy than leaving it on -- running in sleep mode.

The power surges also have a negative effect on electronic and mechanical components.

My late father-in-law would unplug the TV before he went to bed.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Oh please. A MacBook Uses less energy than a light bulb. I suppose you want us to pull the plugs on our TVs because the standby mode also consumes energy?
  • Reply 53 of 109
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

I suspect MobileMe will be free. I've been getting it since 2007, and if they were just changing pricing or something rather than making it free then they'd offer some sort of a discount to those who bought it recently, like with iPad2. Instead, you can't buy Mobile Me anymore. I hope I get a bonus for being a paying member at one point, but then again, it being free is a bonus in itself. Plus I'll finally be able to use my @me.com email address with the confidence it'll remain there for a couple of years - didn't want to before because I was always iffy on keeping the service... even though it's pretty good.

I also doubt they'll expect you to leave your computer on for whatever their streaming idea is. It's just a messy solution and it encourages wasting of resources. That's not green. Your ISP could be at fault, then Apple has to deal with service calls for it. Plus its harder to set up. Plus Apple's been in talks with Music Companies about multiple downloads of the same file. Seems pretty clear where they're going, but I do suspect some surprises.

I suspect parts of it will be free. Such as syncing between devices, which directly supports you owning more than one Apple device. Email might be free, but with more limited storage than you get today with a full account. But other things that don't support hardware sales you may still have to pay for. For example, the web-based apps to view your data (contacts and calendars) in a web browser and storage space for backing up your other data and online photos, things that take up a lot of storage space, you may still have to pay for.

Right now, needing more than the default 10GB of space is difficult. iDisk is horribly slow and Apple's Backup program, quite frankly, sucks. But if they could improve those features they could probably convince people to pay them even more money for storage space.

I just don't think it's in Apple's nature these days to give anything away for free. They are looking for any way they can to monitize everything they offer.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I suspect parts of it will be free. Such as syncing between devices, which directly supports you owning more than one Apple device. Email might be free, but with more limited storage than you get today with a full account. But other things that don't support hardware sales you may still have to pay for. For example, the web-based apps to view your data (contacts and calendars) in a web browser and storage space for backing up your other data and online photos, things that take up a lot of storage space, you may still have to pay for.

Right now, needing more than the default 10GB of space is difficult. iDisk or horribly slow and Apple's Backup program, quite frankly, sucks. But if they could improve those features they could probably convince people to pay them even more money for storage space.

I just don't think it's in Apple's nature these days to give anything away for free. They are looking for any way they can to monitize everything they offer.

They could make MobileMe free and use iAds as a way to monetize MobileMe the way Google & MS use ads to monetize their web services. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    In order to get users to switch, Apple really needs to make some sort of grand statement that the service will be free forever. Otherwise, it's iTools all over again...

I really hope iOS 5 is a massive upgrade (not in size though). There are so many stupid little things wrong with the current iOS that Apple needs to address. Some additional items that haven't been mentioned yet:
    1. The perference to not use cover flow for the iPod app

2. To create some useful way of fast forwarding through a video

3. A way to easily select a part of video you are watching (using that tiny ball to scrub through a video to a particular point is terrible)

4. To include the Video app on all iOS devices and not just iPod Touches (not sure if its on iPads)

5. Different sounds from texts from different people

6. To remember the starting point of any song when you hit the back button. For example, when you choose in iTunes to start a song at a particular point in the track when you hit the back button, the song should start at the particular starting point identified and not at the beginning of the song.

7. Password protect certain apps or iOS device setting.

8. To create a better way of displaying text messages

• Reply 56 of 109
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

This exact thing has happened with each new iPhone release since the 3GS cam out.

iPhone 2G is stuck at 3.1.3

iPhone 3G is stuck at 4.2.1

iPhone 3Gs WILL stop at 4.3.0-X

I am willing to bet the iPhone 4 will stop at iOS 5.x right when 6.x is coming out, we will have this whole conversation again.

They kill off two year old products. Just watch wait and see.

You expect Apple to stand still? They do not cut old phones out unless they can't keep up with the new OS features. Since Apple recently came out with one of the most performance-demanding OS-wide features (multitasking) and since the iPhone 4 is a real powerhouse, I wouldn't be surprised if they supported it up to iOS 7.x

Having no idea of how the 3GS behaves under 4.3.x, I can't state if it will or not make the jump, but unless they add something that will require more processing across the entire OS (new notifications may OR NOT do that) which would make iOS 5.0 unacceptable on the 3GS, I doubt Apple will kill it.

In fact, I think Apple might have purposefully left multitasking out of 3.0 to avoid making the 3G instantly obsolete when the 3GS came out.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

The word "rumored" would be the second one in the title right after the word "Apple."

Whoops!
  • Reply 58 of 109
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

They could make MobileMe free and use iAds as a way to monetize MobileMe the way Google & MS use ads to monetize their web services. Nothing wrong with that.

Excellent point! I didn't think of that. I hear iAds isn't really doing that great, so that could be a way to broaden the audience to try and get more advertisers. Of course, I wonder how much the online apps get used? The primary place I would use them, at work, is still stuck on IE7, and MobileMe online apps in IE7 is a bit painful so I don't use it much. And if they started putting ads in the desktop or iOS versions of the applications themselves, I think there'd be a revolt!

But I guess if there are enough page views for the online apps, iAds could be a viable alternative for those services.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

At night there is really minimal electrical grid demand. Leaving the computer on 24/7 is less wear and tear on the machine than shutting down and rebooting all the time so your computer will last longer. As others have said, in the sleep mode it is not consuming very much at all. Do you unplug your alarm clock when you are not using it? It is probably using more energy than a sleeping notebook.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Oh please. A MacBook Uses less energy than a light bulb. I suppose you want us to pull the plugs on our TVs because the standby mode also consumes energy?

Actually, it may sound trivial when thought of from an individual perspective. However, when one factors in vampire-power, it gets to be a chunk of change per year year.

One article (can't recall site) found that a large household with lots of charges, sleep-mode equipment, etc... is almost equivalent to running a 100-watt lightbulb every day. That results in almost $100 @.10/kwH and around six tons of CO2. That's per household.

Multiply that out by the hundreds of millions of people around the world that do that, and it's a large amount of coal being burned to keep those things running.

Just trying to offer additional perspectives.