Apple's iPad 2 launch predicted to have stronger sales but shorter lines

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I know that it goes on sale at 5 pm. I meant that I'll be going later on that night.

Oh, you mean after they've sold out?
  • Reply 62 of 67
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MALFEITOR View Post

Called Apple (800-692-7753) and this is what they told me.

Apple Store: 5:00pm

Apple online: 2:01am (Central Time)

1. Free Standard Shipping (possibly up to 6 days)

2. Other retail stores are restricted to the 5pm sell time

They Are also getting peoples name + phone# so they can call you Friday morning to order that way as well. Well my plan was to go to Target since they open at 8am but oh well Looks like it will be 2:01am ordering for me since I cant get off work or off early...gggrrrr.

I suppose the retail times are 5:00om 'local' time?
  • Reply 63 of 67
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

So, I posted this challenge:

One-on-one, if Xoom beats iPad2 in terms of unit sales between 11 March 2011 to 11 March 2012, I will pay the Xoom evangelizer the amount (in US Market price) equivalent to the top end version of iPad3 (WiFi 3G or 4G???) with highest storage capacity.

If Xoom loses, then the Xoom evangelizer must honor the bet for the same amount.

I posted a similar bet in one of the threads here, challenged nikon, and the others there who had nothing good to say about the iPad but all praises of the Xoom, inspite of its known promised but undelivered features as of launch -- Flash, 4G, etc., the very key specifications that were supposed to make the Xoom technically superior to the iPad.

NO TAKERS.

No-one will take that bet. The standard fandroid retort is that the iSheep will make it sell well and that volume does not make up for quality.

Of course when you reverse it and say well that applies in spades to the vast sales of Android phones, they either shut up or explode in a puff of fanboy logic (or call you an iSheep which makes your point invalid).
  • Reply 64 of 67
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

We are replacing three of ours and relegating the v1 units to the office.

I do wish 4G would have been in the cards by now, and many reviews I've read have at least touched on this.

Lucky that most iPad users don't delve into the cellular realm that often.

Why? Not saying that 4G is bad but why now.

1) Terrible coverage

2) No good plans yet (all an upcharge over 3G) Do you think VZ would want to cut you a sweet deal on 4G like they do on 3G?

3) Very little global deployment (iPad is a world device)

By the time these 3 things change to any significant degree, you will be creaming over an iPad 3 HD with the rest of us.

It would be a nice future proofing but that doesn't come without cost, (and probably weight) and certainly battery life when it actually works.

Why create an extra sku or 6, more customer issues, etc. for what would be very small sales until next year at least.

The same reasons will apply to the iP5 unless something drastic happens with global 4G roadmaps.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Shorter lines? Apple is doomed!?

(At least, so will go the tech headlines......)

Hoisted on their own petard! If they are going to make a big deal about long lines for 3 years, you think a lack of any lines is not going to get played up?
  • Reply 66 of 67
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asst. Prof. View Post

That's why it is foolish to compare one product against another. Apple's sales are distributed among 24 different iPads. Companies like Motorola only make one - so it is easy for them to claim that they outsell the iPad, because they only compare the ones that are comparable to the Xoom, instead of all of them together.

That's why they should compare all of the 24 iOS tablets to Android tablets, and not to any one individually.

This is rich!! So you can't compare all Android phone sales against iPhones because it's on;y one iPhone. But it's okay to compare all 24 iOS tablets against the Xoom :-) Not that the Xoom is going to be breaking any sales record - until they price it closer to $400.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

No-one will take that bet. The standard fandroid retort is that the iSheep will make it sell well and that volume does not make up for quality.

Of course when you reverse it and say well that applies in spades to the vast sales of Android phones, they either shut up or explode in a puff of fanboy logic (or call you an iSheep which makes your point invalid).

I understand your point. In fact, here at Apple Insider, when the Apple diehards (Apple can't do anything wrong or bad) were gloating about the Apple iPhone being the top selller over Android, I pointed out that RIM and Nokia are ahead in terms of total sales worldwide. I predicted also that the Android, as a whole are going to overtake the Apple iPhone. I believe that was in 2009 when I posted that.

The point is that if a company targets a specific group of consumers, rather than try to be the top seller, it won't become the top seller all the time, even if it has the best products.

It's just like Mercedes Benz as a car manufacturer is not likely to have more sales volume than the likes of GM, or Toyota, because the target clientele of Mercedes Benz is a very small segment of the car buying public.

Well, I shall be posting the challenge everytime someone says: This product from anothr company is superior over an Apple product.

Product vs. Product

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asst. Prof. View Post

When you say "iPad2", which one are you talking about? There are 16 different iPad2s.

Is the bet comparing the 64 gig 3G iPad, or all of the various iPads lumped in together?

I think that needs clarification. Otherwise, you'd be comparing sales of the econo-model (16 Gig WIFI-Only) against the Xoom, which doesn't make much sense. It would be like comparing the iP4 against all of the craptastic BOGOphones all lumped in together, which isn't fair.

There's a flaw in your argument, just try to analyze it in more depth. iPad2 is a single product, just different versions with varying degrees of RAM, diskstorage, Wifi only, or WiFi plus 3G. But, the overall quality of the iPad2 are the same for all the versions, and they all share the same ecocystem. The iPad2 as a hardware supported by its integrated ecosystem (iTunes, Aoos Store, Apple Store, Genius Bar, Seminars, One-on-one support, etc.) defines the overall quality and superiority of the iPad2, as a product.

I use the fallacy of betting by sales to determine quality because many mistake (fanboys, haters, tech bloggers, journalists, etc.) gloats as if their favorite OS, or product is better, if it has a higher ranking. [See explanation above.] But, Android fans (Apple haters/detractprs_ are gloating that Android has buried the iPhone. So, history repeats itself, they say. And, Android is the clear winner.

Thus, I placed the bet for the aforementioned reason, not because I believed in numbers as measure of superiority.

To give an example within the iPad2 versions, if the sales of the lower Wifi only iPad2 eclipses the equivalent with Wifi plus 3G, is the wifi only iPad2 superior to the wifi plus 3G? I hope I do not have to answer that because it should be obvious to most anyone that there is no correlation between bulk sales and technical superiority or lack thereof.

Apple iPad2 (equivalent version) vs Xoom

Let's assume that by IPad2 lost 10:1 or whatever number you want (2:1, etc.) Does it prove that Xoom is technically superior to the iPad2 of the equivalent specifications.

It would be interesting to get your answer or any of those who believe that if the Xoom beats the "technically equivalent" iPad2, then the Xoom must be judge to be superior.

If you or anyone else answers YES, it indicates how shallow you analyze problems or scenarios.

Or, to put another twist, since you mentioned fairness: What do you consider to be a fair head to head comparison, to decide superiority, as judged by the consumers?

CGC