Early Wednesday release expected for Apple's iOS 4.3 iPhone, iPad update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though Apple said last week that the iOS 4.3 update would become available this Friday, new evidence points to an early release on Wednesday for existing iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users.

Jim Dalrymple at The Loop reported Tuesday that Apple is likely to issue an early release of iOS 4.3. Though the company initially said the update will arrive this Friday, March 11, alongside the iPad 2, it is now expected to arrive around its usual time of 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern on Wednesday -- two days early.

The Golden Master, or presumed final build, of iOS 4.3 was issued to developers last Thursday. It features browser JavaScript performance that is two times faster, as well as support for iTunes Home Sharing and Personal Hotspot for tethering to share a 3G data connection over Wi-Fi.

iOS 4.3 is compatible with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, third- and fourth-generation iPod touch, first-generation iPad, and the forthcoming iPad 2. It will not arrive this week for the CDMA Verizon iPhone 4, which has a different baseband chip than the GSM model.

Dalrymple's report was filed in contrast to an earlier story from Boy Genius Report, which claimed that Apple would instead release iOS 4.3 on Tuesday.

BGR has issued a number of Apple-related reports of late that have missed the mark, including a claim that the iPad 2 could be released this year without a physical home button. The site also incorrectly reported in February that Apple's new MacBook Pro lineup would have solid-state boot drives and larger multi-touch trackpads.

Last summer, the site also claimed that the launch of a cloud-based iTunes music streaming service was imminent, though the report was quickly refuted. While its track record with Apple-related rumors has been poor -- including reports of Blu-ray support in iTunes and the reprinting of a faked e-mail conversation claimed to be with Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs -- the site does frequently publish accurate documents and photos related to U.S. wireless carriers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Blu-ray. Fake Steve Jobs mail. iOS 4.3 early.

Just another to the pile, I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple said March 11th. End of discussion.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Sweetness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I don't understand the rush. There are few apps (twitter, Infinity Blade, and few others that I use) crashing under the GM that didn't crash under the beta 3. I think it is best if they release it early Friday so people can have the weekend to update and hopefully by then developers would have sent the updates to Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    One thing I know is that I should think the opposite of BGR.

Their rumors can be correct for "not to be expected".
  • Reply 6 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    If I wanted to sell my iPad 3G what is the procedure with the sim chip? I suppose I can completely restore the OS to factory settings but isn't the sim somehow tied to the device ID and my AT&T account?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dalrymple's report was filed in contrast to an earlier story from Boy Genius Report, which claimed that Apple would instead release iOS 4.3 on Tuesday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Blu-ray. Fake Steve Jobs mail. iOS 4.3 early.

Just another to the pile, I guess.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charles117 View Post

One thing I know is that I should think the opposite of BGR.

Their rumors can be correct for "not to be expected".

I do wish people would read things more carefully.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I do wish people would read things more carefully.

Explain how I was wrong?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    That would be really awesome, looking forward to safari boost the most.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Maybe the BGR report is accurate.

But wasn't supposed to be released until Thursday.

Maybe this is all some sort of CMS screw up.

... or maybe not.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If I wanted to sell my iPad 3G what is the procedure with the sim chip? I suppose I can completely restore the OS to factory settings but isn't the sim somehow tied to the device ID and my AT&T account?

Theoretically, you'd sell the SIM with it and cancel your data contract. The buyer can then set up their own account with AT&T for data service, and, if you get a new iPad 2 3G you'd buy data service for that when you get it.

At least, that's what you'd do if you haven't maintained service since you got it. In that case, you'd probably want to call AT&T and find out about the grandfathering and how that works. Maybe the best idea in either case.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

That would be really awesome, looking forward to safari boost the most.

Safari is much faster. It is like they've added a turbo to it
  • Reply 13 of 27
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:

The SIM contains your AT&T account information - nothing more. If you simply pull the sim chip out of the old iPad and put it into the iPad 2, it should work with no issue (The iPad is a factory unlocked device - any sim that fits will work). That sim is not attached to any one device.

Just buy the iPad 2, swap the sims, and sell the old iPad with the blank sim. Buyer will be responsible for activating (or swapping) their own account.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    BGR is the only source I trust, to be consistently wrong, about everything.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

The SIM contains your AT&T account information - nothing more. If you simply pull the sim chip out of the old iPad and put it into the iPad 2, it should work with no issue (The iPad is a factory unlocked device - any sim that fits will work). That sim is not attached to any one device.

Just buy the iPad 2, swap the sims, and sell the old iPad with the blank sim. Buyer will be responsible for activating (or swapping) their own account.

I imagined as much however I want to sell it today or tomorrow so there is no iPad 2 available to swap out the sim with.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Safari is much faster. It is like they've added a turbo to it

More like they released the brake that was stuck on.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:

I imagined as much however I want to sell it today or tomorrow so there is no iPad 2 available to swap out the sim with.

Sell it without the sim. AT&T will give the buyer a new sim if he doesn't already have one. You can also go into any AT&T store and get a free replacement sim in about 30 seconds.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Sell it without the sim. AT&T will give the buyer a new sim if he doesn't already have one. You can also go into any AT&T store and get a free replacement sim in about 30 seconds.

From my experience a replacement SIM costs $14.99
  • Reply 19 of 27
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Explain how I was wrong?

The three things you quoted were from Boy Genius Report articles and their failure to materialise shouldn't impact on Mr Dairymple's credibility.

That said, I think he's wrong, but we'll see
  • Reply 20 of 27
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Hoping for an Apple TV 2 v4.3 also to replace beta 3.