Apple releases iTunes 10.2.1, updates Java for Mac OS X

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released a new update for iTunes, marking the second in less than a week, as well as new security updates for Java for Mac OS X.

iTunes 10.2.1 is now available for download for both Mac and Windows. Apple's documentation accompanying the update is identical to the information provided with the release of iTunes 10.2 last Friday, noting that it adds compatibility for syncing devices running iOS 4.3.

iTunes 10.2.1 also includes improved Home Sharing, and lets users play music from their iTunes library on any iPhone iPad or iPod touch over Wi-Fi using iOS 4.3. Any other changes to iTunes from version 10.2 are likely minor, as Apple did not detail them.

Also released on Tuesday were Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 4, a 74.81MB download, and Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 9, which is 119.83MB. The updates are said to deliver improved compatibility, security and reliability with the Java runtime.

Both updates will upgrade Java SE 6 to 10.6.0_24 for 64-bit capable Intel-based Macs, while Update 9 for Mac OS X 10.5 will also update J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_28. Users must quit any web browsers and Java applications before installing this update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Any other changes to iTunes from version 10.2 are likely minor, as Apple did not detail them.

Dang. Was rather hoping they'd fix the bug preventing backup to DVD. That hasn't worked for some time now.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    hasn't apple stopped maintaining java?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    leeryleery Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I think they've only stopped maintaining any part of it themselves, but they're still alright with distributing it through software update.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I HATE it when companies release updates and don't list what was changed.

Since Apple didn't feel it was important enough to let me know why I should download another 100mb update, it must not be important enough for me to download it.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Since Apple didn't feel it was important enough to let me know why I should download another 100mb update, it must not be important enough for me to download it.

Until you find an issue that you are having and this update fixes it.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

It is sad that Apple has gotten less clear with their software update changes list. Especially for the iTunes releases it is almost laughable that the usual list is "security and compatibility" changes or "improve stability and performance" changes.

Right.

Like that tells us anything meaningful.

Seems like Apple is in full CYA mode now about all its updates.

That is, reveal almost nothing, so no one can complain that such item was missing prior to the update...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Until you find an issue that you are having and this update fixes it.

Yes it is good they issue fixes. And have been usually good about it, most of the time.

But that does not alter the fact that they often do not state what really was changed.

The only place I can find details is in the OS 'dot' update releases where they do list security patches. But given Apple's trend to reduce technical info details to the end user, I do not actually trust that whatever list they publish really is the complete list.

Third-party independent software vendors are much better at informing their user customers of what changes from one update to the next.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

LOL yeah, go ahead and run with that.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Further,,, on details,

looks like software update says

-Sync with your iPhone, iPad or iPod tuoch with iOS 4.3.

-Improved Home Sharing. Browse and play from your iTunes libraries within Home Sharing on any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 4.3.

ummmm, is'nt that what iTunes 10.2 was all about?

So the update notes are just repeated identically from 10.2.0 to 10.2.1.

sigh.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    I don't see 10.2.1, only 10.2 The link AppleInsider provided at the beginning of the story goes to a "10.2" page, and if I go direct to www.itunes.com then click the download link, I also only see "10.2". I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

Further,,, on details,

looks like software update says

-Sync with your iPhone, iPad or iPod tuoch with iOS 4.3.

-Improved Home Sharing. Browse and play from your iTunes libraries within Home Sharing on any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 4.3.

ummmm, is'nt that what iTunes 10.2 was all about?

So the update notes are just repeated identically from 10.2.0 to 10.2.1.

sigh.

• Reply 10 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

So you've never downloaded an update from Apple, then?

Because all they generally say is "increased stability" and "bug fixes".
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I don't see a software update for OS 8.4, and what's this thing called iTunes, you mean SoundJam, right?

Also, my contacts at Apple inform me that iOS 4.3 will actually be released, at some point.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

I don't see 10.2.1, only 10.2 The link AppleInsider provided at the beginning of the story goes to a "10.2" page, and if I go direct to www.itunes.com then click the download link, I also only see "10.2". I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

Give it some time, I wasn't seeing it either. I think some replication needed to occur.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    After installing 10.2 iTunes started acting up for me. It would hang when I tried to quit it, causing me to Force Quit. I tried several things to get it to behave, and kept sending crash reports to Apple. I'm hoping this .1 update is to address that issue (though I agree it would be nice to know if that's what was intended).
  • Reply 14 of 17
    it appears that the 10.2.1 is only pertaining to the Mac OSX release. and may only be showing up in some folks automatic update.

On my Windows XP machine, the last official release from Apple last week was: 10.2.0.34 -- the Windows versions always have an extra numeric node in the version numbering schema, so they don't always match exactly, but pretty much always get released for the matching first two nodes (10.2) and usually same release schedule for the first three nodes (10.2.0 or 10.2.1).

I just downloaded from www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and Windows version is at same 10.2.0.34 as it was last week.

So either the issue release reported on here is mostly/only Mac SW related, or else it is so new that not all sites or portals are in sync yet.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:

it appears that the 10.2.1 is only pertaining to the Mac OSX release. and may only be showing up in some folks automatic update.

On my Windows XP machine, the last official release from Apple last week was: 10.2.0.34 -- the Windows versions always have an extra numeric node in the version numbering schema, so they don't always match exactly, but pretty much always get released for the matching first two nodes (10.2) and usually same release schedule for the first three nodes (10.2.0 or 10.2.1).

I just downloaded from www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and Windows version is at same 10.2.0.34 as it was last week.

So either the issue release reported on here is mostly/only Mac SW related, or else it is so new that not all sites or portals are in sync yet.

Nope 10.2.1.1 is there for Windows. The itunes.msi changed, but everything else appears to be unchanged.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Love your wonderful use of nomenclature.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

No, they are still maintaining Java 1.6. Java 1.7 will be through OpenJDK.