Apple brings HDMI output to iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    This site: http://www.slashgear.com/apple-digit...h-4g-03137636/

says: The adapter supports up to 1080p content when used with the iPad 2. If you plug it into any of the other devices, it only supports up to 720p resolution.

This Apple page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTc5OTU4MjA mentions 720p a number of times.

The iPad tech specs page: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ says Up to 1080 and mentions 720p for movies.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

HDMI out (finally) is cool, but it's disappointing (and a little dishonest) to hype 1080 output but the device will only play back 720. Oh well, hopefully next time around.

It would be nicer if the IPad had wireless HMDI output so that you wouldn't need any cable to connect to the TV.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

This site: http://www.slashgear.com/apple-digit...h-4g-03137636/

says: The adapter supports up to 1080p content when used with the iPad 2. If you plug it into any of the other devices, it only supports up to 720p resolution.

This Apple page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTc5OTU4MjA mentions 720p a number of times.

The iPad tech specs page: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ says Up to 1080 and mentions 720p for movies.

Well, the fact that the apple site shows that it supports 1080p, but the max film resolution is 720p - I assume that most people who want to plug their iPad into a TV or external screen via a cable will do so because they want to watch movies. I think that'll end up fooling a lot of people. There are some folks in other threads on AI, for example that seem to think the iPad will show 1080p video...
  • Reply 44 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

It would be nicer if the IPad had wireless HMDI output so that you wouldn't need any cable to connect to the TV.

You'd still need an adapter to make virtually every single TV work with it.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Everyone always clamors on over this myth about other companies just copying Apple, but this is one feature I hope to GOD everyone else copies (video mirroring that is.) I like the idea of outputting what I see on my screen to a TV.

Your kidding right? Other phones and pocket devices have had this for a long long time.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Supports up 1080p (movies only up to 720p). Then what 1080p content can it show? Only movies are 1080p right? Makes no sense.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    If 1080p output is available only on mirroring, doesn't it mean that 1024x768 pixels are being output to 1920x1080 pixels? So other than the TV recognizing it as a 1080p signal, does it really matter that the output is 1080p? Video can be output only at 720p. Is there any case where the iPad can output '1080p worth' of distinct pixels?

Can developers write programs to output applications at 1920x1080 pixels (Such that they are downscaled to 1024x768 on the iPad screen but shown in native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels on the TV. If not, then it is just 1024x768 pixels being upscaled to 1080p.

Also there is some confusion as to whether the 720p video output pertains only to content played by the ipod app or all apps. Example - If one were to write an application (like VLC) which can play 1080p video files. The file will be 'downscaled' to play on the iPad screen. On mirroring this app, will the output be 'downscaled then upscaled' to 1080p, thus losing pixel information.

I suspect the iPad is capable of outputting only 720p or '768p' native content. It doesn't matter if the information is upscaled by the iPad or the TV. Thus the 1080p output claim though technically correct is kind of irrelevant. The 720p output specification is the one that matters. Can somebody please clarify?

(I did not take aspect ratio differences into account. Kindly ignore that fact. The basic question remains the same. Is 1080p true native 1080p content or upscaled content that repeat pixel information just like an upscaling DVD player would do).
  • Reply 48 of 55
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pumpkinwhite View Post

If 1080p output is available only on mirroring, doesn't it mean that 1024x768 pixels are being output to 1920x1080 pixels? So other than the TV recognizing it as a 1080p signal, does it really matter that the output is 1080p? Video can be output only at 720p. Is there any case where the iPad can output '1080p worth' of distinct pixels?

There has been talk for some time that once the North Carolina server farm goes on line, iTunes will start delivering movies in 1080p. When that happens the iPad2 will be able to send them to your HDTV [although if you have an Apple TV you can bypass the iPad entirely and go from iTunes on your computer to the Apple TV to HDTV directly]
  • Reply 49 of 55
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

This is an example of something that so many people just don't get.

I have recently had a couple of people showing me their various Droid devices and explaining how it is so much better to have a mini-HDMI port built into the device - and how the iPhone does not have one.

And here we have a cable connector that does allow existing iPhones to have a standard HDMI port.

In other words Apple has improved the functionality of their device through an upgrade to software and or add on hardware - something that I have not seen much of from the competitors.

Okay some may argue that having an external cable solution is not as streamlined or elegant as having it built in. But on the flip side - there are trade-offs across the board in any device - from an engineering to cost of manufacture to form factor etc.

An external solution also means that only those who actually want to use it need to spend the extra $ - it also means that third party solutions or used product should be available before long meaning I don't need to replace my iPhone every six months to take advantage of the latest and greatest stuff.

This is just ridiculous. To add an external adapter for new interfaces is one thing and commendable. To not provide hdmi, univeral usb hosts on the device is yet another example of intentionally crippled devices that just frustrates the heck out of me. My Vibrant has DLNA and can connect to any network ready DLNA TV. I haven't read whether iPad 1.5 supports DLNA or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. The Apple idiom is to suck off as much as you can from customers in unnecessary accessories.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Has anyone seen this adapter in any Apple stores yet????????????
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Has anyone seen this adapter in any Apple stores yet????????????

Most likely it is being shipped with and will go on display alongside the iPad 2. This is exactly what happens at my local reseller. One day they have nothing, the next they have ten of everything on display... just to sell out by mid-morning.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Universal Mirror is only HDMI or VGA adapters out the iPad 2. On other devices it will depend on what app you're running.

Does anyone know why?

Why can the ipad2 mirror but the iphone4 can not? Is it a hardware or software issue?
  • Reply 53 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modernmagic View Post

Does anyone know why?

Why can the ipad2 mirror but the iphone4 can not? Is it a hardware or software issue?

I'd say neither, given that Apple mirrors all new iOS devices at keynotes. Can't wait for the jailbreak that lets me do the same with my first-gen iPad.

Oh, wait, isn't there one? DisplayOut, I think, lets any iOS device display their entire interface.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    I bought my iPad2 on Mar 13th and the shipment date is on Apr 11th. Is there a chance to antecipate it??

I'm concerned because I'll be back at Apr 21th, it can't delay.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd say neither, given that Apple mirrors all new iOS devices at keynotes.

Did you notice when Steve Jobs was demoing the iPad 2, it was hooked up with a black cable?

It's too bad that Apple makes all of their adapters and cables in white only. They should bring the black back, or at least have that as an option.