Apple rumored to unveil iOS 5, new MobileMe at media event in early April

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

I

Why would apple support the 3Gs when there is a shiny new iPhone 5 out for people to buy?

:

Because they want a cheap model. It may not be the 3GS - but that's my guess. A cheap model which runs iOS 5 and sells, of contract for $200 ( ish) will gain the middle and low middle end.

It can even be updated going forward - see the iBook for example. There could be a 3GS line.

You seem to think that Apple want to be for the rich - that makes sense for early adopters but not for a maturing market.
  • Reply 102 of 109
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I've been an Apple fan for long enough to know that they don't like the word "free". The new MobileMe will probably be in two parts: basic free service for sync, find my phone, etc with a paid MobileMe+ if you want all the new/extra features such as cloud streaming, web hosting, etc.
  • Reply 103 of 109
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    self-storage from a home computer for streaming, rather than remotely saved files hosted by Apple.

I'd like Apple to use MobileMe as a personal cloud linking all my user accounts on different devices together. Clearly Apple wants people to have a main computer, a portable like an Air or iPad, plus an iPhone. But they've done nothing to turn this into an ecosystem of data and programs.

When you are on your own LAN, you should be able to access anything you have regardless of which device it's on. Once you leave your LAN, content on the mobile devices should have been sideloaded using Smart-Everything, with slower access to the rest via the net ( including a Finder on every device, to all your content - it's just text ).

And your MobileMe cloud should be able to back up your content the right number of times regardless of having a full iTunes on a Mini, half the iTunes content on an Air plus other stuff on an iPad and iPhone. And the same applied to all other content ( files, photos, calendars, everything ).

They've created a very nice hardware ecosystem, but the content is all over the place.
  • Reply 104 of 109
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

My guess

1) notifications

I presume you mean improved, cleverer notifications.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd

2) swipe to change apps (as in fullscreen Lion)

That's not a guess, we've already seen that in a beta. May or may not be iPad only.

Quote:

3) some kind of mission control

You are joking right?

Quote:

4) widgets.

Clarify what you mean by widgets? Do you mean active icons, like the Calendar icon? Because if you mean mini-apps, that ain't happening.

Quote:

5) integration with the cloud. If you own a song you can play it over Apple's servers. Upload the song (or rather a checksum) and then play it from Apple. This does not violate fair use.

iTunes mobile.

Quote:

6) lots more.

Apple never does lots of anything. They app fewer things features than people want, and try to do them well. Tech Radar has a decent post on iOS 5. The most notable thing missing from your post is wireless sync.

Myself, I am looking for more humble features like a button in the iPod app called "Update All Podcasts". With one tap you could get your podcasts up to date without leaving the iPod app. Custom text sounds and use-a-song-as-a-ringtone, built-in. Without the need for an extra app. And a comma-space-CAPS shortcut by double-tapping the "?123" key.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

This is the tip of the month for me. Cool!

Tip of the Month !

Can we have *that* as a new feature?
  • Reply 106 of 109
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    MobileMe is going to make us all its bitches in the future. Mark my words.
  • Reply 107 of 109
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I think you are missing something. It is certainly possible that a new feature in iOS5 might be the ability to stream your media from a home computer, over the internet to your iOS device. But what this is talking about is Apple's huge server farm basically hosting your media collection in the cloud for streaming to your iOS device. Your home computer would not be used in this scenario, so you could definitely leave it at home and turned off or in sleep mode.

As for turning computers off...I commend your desire to save money and energy, however, I think alot of people out there are not as eco-friendly as you and leave their machines on constantly.

Self storage to me sounds like storing on the users machine. If apple stored it then that would be completely different and a service potentially worth paying for.

As for turning computers off, I'm sure a lot of people leave them on all the time. But I'm sure there are others like me. I have an iMac and a Mac Book. The iMac only gets used once a fortnight as the Mac Books easier so I don't see the point leaving it on, however it has the big hard drive and therefore has all my music and films on it. As people get more smartphone and tablets that actual use of the pc will get less and become more of a place to store stuff, in which case people may start turning them off, if like me you only use it twice a month.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

4) Preference setting for backlight/sleep timer.

5) Optimized picture compression for the iPad in Aperture.

6) Folder ability in mail.

Flag email, still missing. Access to wifi and other settings from the homescreen, á la SBS settings. Better notifications and multitasking, both look about 3 years out of date. Just steal from webOS, everyone else is.
  • Reply 109 of 109
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I presume you mean improved, cleverer notifications.

Obviously. I mean notifications are already there.

Quote:

That's not a guess, we've already seen that in a beta. May or may not be iPad only.

It was a guess for me. I based it on the lion preview not 4.3.

Quote:

You are joking right?

Well some kind of expose for apps and windows. Apps will have one window, so I suppose the mission control idea is wrong, so lets say an expose mechanism for switching apps. The present system sucks.

Quote:

Clarify what you mean by widgets? Do you mean active icons, like the Calendar icon? Because if you mean mini-apps, that ain't happening.

Something like dashboard. Are you worried this will not be done because Apple are scared of web apps. They already have web apps. Have some kind of mechanism for dashboard type apps ( basically JS working on a transparent bg) on the lock screen only. Cant see why that wont be done.

Quote:

iTunes mobile.

I wasnt guessing the name.

Quote:

Apple never does lots of anything. They app fewer things features than people want, and try to do them well. Tech Radar has a decent post on iOS 5. The most notable thing missing from your post is wireless sync.

Most of those feature are in OS X so the coding in minimal. Am expecing more.

Quote:

Myself, I am looking for more humble features like a button in the iPod app called "Update All Podcasts". With one tap you could get your podcasts up to date without leaving the iPod app. Custom text sounds and use-a-song-as-a-ringtone, built-in. Without the need for an extra app. And a comma-space-CAPS shortcut by double-tapping the "?123" key.

Well good idea. But not a headline.