Review: Apple's early 2011 Thunderbolt MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 41 of 126
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

OS X has no Bluray playback capabilities and most likely never will.

And that's nothing but intentional silliness on the part of apple. They could provide it if they wanted, they just choose not to.

(cue sycophants parroting "bag of hurt" sound byte...)
  • Reply 42 of 126
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

A blu-ray player option in a notebook is pointless without a HDMI port so you could connect it to a high resolution tv/display. Since the MBPs don't have that either I doubt they will ever get a blu-ray option.

-kpluck

Got $13?

http://www.amazon.com/Menotek-Displa...9689980&sr=8-4
  • Reply 43 of 126
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

While by no means an ideal viewing scenario, is it too much to ask that a $2,200 laptop be able to read the discs people have been buying since 2006, as opposed to being restricted to 14 year old optical technology?

If you want to playback Blue Ray, buy a Blue Ray player. You don't need a $2,200 laptop for that. The new MBP's are real working horses, I would hate to have them cluttered with all kind of entertainment electronics. That's actually what I love about apple. They have Pro products, which are really built for Pro users, and without all this superfluous junkware, they can keep their laptops slim and affordable.
  • Reply 44 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by just_a_guy View Post

What i really don't get is why apple has not updated their slow disk drive to at least make them be able to run at 32x or faster.

Do they even exist for the drive sizes they need? How reliable are they? How many decibels are they when running at full tilt?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And that's nothing but intentional silliness on the part of apple. They could provide it if they wanted, they just choose not to.

You don?t think there is a purpose to their reasoning? That?s just a frivolous absurdity that somehow got overlooked?
  • Reply 45 of 126
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Do they even exist for the drive sizes they need? How reliable are they? How many decibels are they when running at full tilt?

You insert a slightly inbalanced CD once and it's cooked.
  • Reply 46 of 126
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Has anybody done performance reviews between the 2.2 GHz and the BTO 2.3 GHz option? I've been searching the web, but can't find any direct comparisons. Just trying to figure out if the extra $250 is a good investment for 0.1 bump in speed and 2MB increase L3 cache. Is the Turbo Boost upper limit any higher on the 2.3 GHz chip?

This, NO ONE has done a comparison yet except:

2.2 - 7526

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...QM+%40+2.20GHz

2.3 - 7860

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...QM+%40+2.30GHz

To me the differences aren't justified. CPUMark claims a 1% difference.
  • Reply 47 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnny mozzarella View Post

i would love to be able to connect an ipad to a mac via thunderport. When plugged in the ipad could be charged, used as a secondary display and be in disk mode for syncing with itunes.

+++

• Reply 48 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I'm waiting for the updates to the 13" MacBook Air with a comparable Sandy Bridge processor and the Thunderbolt port.

We'll most likely see an upgraded MacBook Air before June with Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt and AMD graphics. Though I believe Apple will restrict the faster Core i7 and AMD Radeon 6750M for the MBP 15"/17" models and opt for the Core i5 and AMD Radeon 6490M for the MacBook Air. This would then faze out the MacBook Pro 13" model.
  • Reply 49 of 126
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't expect MacBook Airs to get Thunderbolt. They don't even backlit keyboards currently.

I never understood the obsession with backlit keyboards (some people refusing to buy a laptop because of that). I turn mine off completely, since it's such a gimmick and it loudly advertises "I can't touch type".

Seriously, take some time (about 6 months half hour to hour a day of practice in the evening before sleep) and learn to touch type and reap the benefits for the rest of your life.

Here's an excellent and free online course:

http://www.typing-lessons.org/
  • Reply 50 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

You did see the size of the chip required for TB, right? That may never happen.

That's the chip for the motherboard controller. Does anyone know what sort of chip is needed for devices on the bus? That chip could be a much smaller, less complex chip. Has anybody seen this chips yet?

I am hoping that we see the device chip in an Ifixit teardown -- say, early this Saturday.

• Reply 51 of 126
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

MacBook Pro 15" should have an HDMI port. Thy should be done.

Why downgrade? You do know that a DisplayPort is better.. it even can even run higher resolutions than HDMI is capable of. Its only like $15 for a little adapter so you can plug it into HDMI.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

The comment about the enhanced graphics coming on when an external monitor is plugged in explains a ton. My unit was plugged into my 27" Apple display, and the fan ran all the time, which is why it went back.

Your fan always runs all the time.. the fans never turn off. They just change speed. They idle at 2000 rpm and get faster if it gets hotter. I can turn on my AMD GPU, watch some videos, and my fans are still at 2000 rpm... it will get loud if I push the machine really hard and it gets hot though. But even at max RPM its still not annoying in any way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

A blu-ray player option in a notebook is pointless without a HDMI port so you could connect it to a high resolution tv/display. Since the MBPs don't have that either I doubt they will ever get a blu-ray option.

-kpluck

you can do HDMI fine on the machines... why does everyone think you need a lower end port when you have a better one that s cheap adapter can let you downgrade it for yourself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

I never understood the obsession with backlit keyboards (some people refusing to buy a laptop because of that). I turn mine off completely, since it's such a gimmick and it loudly advertises "I can't touch type".

Seriously, take some time (about 6 months half hour to hour a day of practice in the evening before sleep) and learn to touch type and reap the benefits for the rest of your life.

I can touch type fine... I can actually type very very fast... but I'm not always sitting just writing letters or typing up long wordy documents, or replying to posts... sometimes I like to see the keyboard, it saves a ton of time. I absolutely love the backlit keyboard, and I wouldn't buy another machine without a decent one.
  • Reply 52 of 126
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

what has a fish to do with a strawberry cake?

Mmmm, strawberry fish cake...
  • Reply 53 of 126
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

This, NO ONE has done a comparison yet except:

2.2 - 7526

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...QM+%40+2.20GHz

2.3 - 7860

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...QM+%40+2.30GHz

To me the differences aren't justified. CPUMark claims a 1% difference.

Thanks for the links. Oh, but your math is off, from their results it's a 4% difference. Still of questionable value when you are adding at 10-15% premium.

I'll still be curious to see direct comparisons using actual systems on real-world tasks. After reading the descriptions of the tests in the links above, it does not appear their tests would include the performance of Turbo Boost since most of their tests seem to saturate all 4 cores in the CPU.

If the 2.3 GHz processor also includes higher Turbo Boost speeds for non-parallelized tasks, that would help better justify the price increase. Apple's online store seems to imply that the faster processor has a higher Turbo Boost speed when it says, "You can upgrade the processor in your MacBook Pro to the 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, featuring 8MB L3 cache and Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.40GHz." But they don't say anywhere was the limit is for the 2.2 GHz processor.
  • Reply 54 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Intel isn't as good at graphics as NVIDIA, Intel's SATA disk controller performance is significantly better than that of NVIDIA's; the new models also now support 6Gbps SATA 3.0 for the first time, so the fact that the new MacBook Pros use Intel's chipsets again means that disk performance is improved, particularly when using a Solid State Drive. Note that only the hard drive supports SATA 3; the optical drive is still connected to a 3GBps SATA 2.0 interface.

So - I've just picked up the fully-loaded 15" and want to add a SSD. OWC has an awesome looking kit with a 120gb SSD and bracket for under $300. Keeping in mind that the optical drive is connected to a slower port, I assume this means I should move the traditional hard drive into the optical drive bay (and its slower connector) and then install the SSD into the traditional drive back to take advantage of its faster connector? Seems to me that having a 5400 RPM drive installed in a SATA 3 port is a bit of a waste...
  • Reply 55 of 126
    I would be buying a brand new MBP 15" Matte screen, loaded memory, if:

1- it could play Blu-Ray

2- Blu - Ray output could go out via lightnight bolt to HDMI cable.

it is frustrating being an apple consumer, they seem to like to decide what they will allow their consumers to do, instead of letting us decide on our own options.

hmm... maybe a sony Vaio will hit the spot.
  • Reply 56 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

1- it could play Blu-Ray

2- Blu - Ray output could go out via lightnight bolt to HDMI cable.

it is frustrating being an apple consumer, they seem to like to decide what they will allow their consumers to do, instead of letting us decide on our own options.

What an asinine comment. "Lightnight bolt?? Really? You?re making a argument that Apple decides what options they will offer to their consumers when every company does that. Just because you don?t like the options doesn?t make it wrong. I just looked on Dell?s site, and there is no option for ½? notebook with 3 Blu-ray drives and 128 terabytes of storage for $300. Those assholes!
  • Reply 57 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

So - I've just picked up the fully-loaded 15" and want to add a SSD. OWC has an awesome looking kit with a 120gb SSD and bracket for under $300. Keeping in mind that the optical drive is connected to a slower port, I assume this means I should move the traditional hard drive into the optical drive bay (and its slower connector) and then install the SSD into the traditional drive back to take advantage of its faster connector? Seems to me that having a 5400 RPM drive installed in a SATA 3 port is a bit of a waste...

Yes, I will do the same and put a spare 7k2 HD in the bracket. . I went with BTO Apple SSD, though, because it is the only drive that is currently supported by Snow Leopard's TRIM (added in the custom 10.6.6 SL running on the new MBPs) and, for now, Lion betas.

I will later replace my MBP's Apple-branded SSD by a C300 or a Vertex 3. Even without TRIM, they are far far superior to the the rather low-end Apple SSD (custom Hitachi ?).

But :

1- Prices are too high for now on SATA III SSDs

2- I am waiting to see if an official support of third party SSDs by Apple is coming : I read people had problems with their C300 because of a conflict with the way Sudden Motion Sensor (although it is of any use only of platter-based HDs) was managed by OS X. If OS X's TRIM could manage third party SSDs in a few months, it would be all the better?
  • Reply 58 of 126
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

1- it could play Blu-Ray

Given that OS X can not only play Blu-ray disks but that installing your own Blu-ray drive in a MacBook Pro would be cheaper than any BTO option that Apple would offer...

Quote:

Enjoy 50% less battery under normal conditions and two hours of battery playing Blu-ray for whatever reason.
  • Reply 59 of 126
    Come on. Blu-ray isn't useless... ON A DESKTOP

Apple SHOULD offer the option of blu on the iMac and the Mac Pro.

The notebooks need to get their ODDs stripped off once and for all. (No, I will never stop saying that )
  • Reply 60 of 126
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Come on. Blu-ray isn't useless... ON A DESKTOP

Apple SHOULD offer the option of blu on the iMac and the Mac Pro.

The notebooks need to get their ODDs stripped off once and for all. (No, I will never stop saying that )

You can put your own drives in a desktop. I've had a BD-RE/HD DVD-ROM drive for years. I use it to rip HD DVDs to iTunes and I did it with a Blu-ray disk, as well.