Microsoft, RIM plan services to compete with Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

It is unlikely they will call it Ventura because MS has never contacted me. I doubt they would launch a new brand without first acquiring the domain.

No problem. MS is probably going to use ventura.NET
  • Reply 22 of 46
    "...abandon their Zune users to create a new music store..."

Yep, that's a great way to inspire confidence that:

1. MS stuff will work together.

2. Assuring customers that customer purchases of digital media will be usable on future generations of MS solutions.

MS fail.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:

ITunes has been out for a decade. Why is MS just waking up now? I hope they don't call it Ventura because I own Ventura.com and don't need their traffic eating up my bandwidth.

Oh boy! You are soon going to be a millionaire. MS has more money than brains. You could potentially sell them the domain name for "millions".

Congrats on your new found wealth.

JDS
  • Reply 24 of 46
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

ITunes has been out for a decade. Why is MS just waking up now? I hope they don't call it Ventura because I own Ventura.com and don't need their traffic eating up my bandwidth.

Put up your own music service. Then when MS indeed call it Ventura, bam, slam a trademark infringment suit on them. Should make you a boat load of money when MS buy the name from you.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

But RIM keeps telling everyone the Playbook is for business.

I know right, RIM is like a dog that meows. I'm so confused.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    You know Micro$ucks state of affairs is worsening (if that's possible) when they have to partner with RIM.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    mugzymugzy Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

and the NFL is planning to use iPads for their new PLAYBOOKS.

how confusing is that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Hmm, I think I am confused too. Can you explain?? Sounds funny anyway!

Try Googling NFL, iPad and PLAYBOOK.

You will get a ton of stories about how the NFL is planning on getting rid of their paper playbooks and replacing them with iPads.

RIM could give away their PLAYBOOK to the NFL in exchange for the PR, but they currently have nothing to give away.

I just found it ironic and amusing that RIM named their tablet after something the NFL uses but it does not appear that the NFL will be using RIM's product.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

And they keep saying no one needs apps but all their TV ads show how much useful it is to use apps available on BB!! This just show you how clueless and lost RIM is.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    What a bunch of lost puppies MS & RIM and MS & Nokia look like these days...

Borderline pathetic... Ballmer should take good notes and write a book on what NOT to do when steering a major corporation of a service you know little about, just name it, when Ballmer steps into a room he is the least smartest person there!
  • Reply 30 of 46
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

iTunes is not a great app by any means, yet apple has had virtually no pressure to make it better because frankly they have no competition.

Not trying to pick on your opinion here, but I'm honestly at a loss every time I here about what a poor app iTunes is. First of all ... a disclaimer. I'm still running Tiger and, as a result, iTunes 9.2.1 (4). Now I can't talk about any version newer than that but I have to say that, for me, at least, iTunes is a great app. It handles my music collection of over 13,000 songs, a small movie, tv collection plus a podcast (200) collection easily and swiftly.

It gives me access to university lectures, video and audio only, and over 200 internet radio stations. I don't know what more people could want. I often hear people complain .... but never with specific complaints .... just a general complaint about how bad it is. Please explain what I'm missing.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

It is unlikely they will call it Ventura because MS has never contacted me. I doubt they would launch a new brand without first acquiring the domain.

Xbox wasn't originally going to be the brand for their consoles; it was also just a codename at one point.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

You know Micro$ucks state of affairs is worsening (if that's possible) when they have to partner with RIM.

Maybe next time try reading the article before posting a comment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Not trying to pick on your opinion here, but I'm honestly at a loss every time I here about what a poor app iTunes is. First of all ... a disclaimer. I'm still running Tiger and, as a result, iTunes 9.2.1 (4). Now I can't talk about any version newer than that but I have to say that, for me, at least, iTunes is a great app. It handles my music collection of over 13,000 songs, a small movie, tv collection plus a podcast (200) collection easily and swiftly.

It gives me access to university lectures, video and audio only, and over 200 internet radio stations. I don't know what more people could want. I often hear people complain .... but never with specific complaints .... just a general complaint about how bad it is. Please explain what I'm missing.

It's slow, freezes (I don't mean crashes) very often when trying to perform any operation and the UI is terrible. And I'm running it on a 2009 Mac Pro Quad.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

It is too slow.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:

First the iTunes is the best app in its class, so i'm not really knocking it, i just expect more from apple because they have risen the bar on OS and apps. The biggest complaint I have is the lack of wireless connectivity between iTunes and devices you sync to it. The second big problem is that I find the organizational tools poorly done. I don't like what happens to the actual physical files on disk when I affect something in iTunes. I don't like how hard it is to use ITunes across multiple users on one computer. The App organization is unnacceptable, no way to organize in coherent groups when you have as many as I do.

If you have large lists of movies an music like i do the only way to sort and find things is viewing in that excel like format and sorting the columns. A little better organizational tools would be nice. The sharing tools are not near as good as other iLife apps.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

The App organization is unnacceptable, no way to organize in coherent groups when you have as many as I do.

If you have large lists of movies an music like i do the only way to sort and find things is viewing in that excel like format and sorting the columns. A little better organizational tools would be nice. The sharing tools are not near as good as other iLife apps.

I don't have an iPad so the app thing is not something I can talk about. As far as sorting the content ... for me, at least .... that's one of the things that I like best. I can sort, alphabetically, from top down or bottom up .... over 13,000 songs .... by song, artist, album ... whatever. I'm not sure what would be any easier.

As I already stated, I'm using an earlier version of iTunes, so maybe when I get off my butt and install the SL dvd I bought 3 or 4 months ago .... and update to the latest version of iTunes .... I'll start having the same kind of issues that I hear about here. Sorry to hear that your iTunes experience is lacking .... but for me, for the time being at least, I love iTunes. We'll see in the future, I guess.

Best.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

and the NFL is planning to use iPads for their new PLAYBOOKS.

how confusing is that?

ahahahahaha!!
  • Reply 37 of 46
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Explain to me why people would once again buy digital content they already own or bought many times over in various formats.

Quite. Almost without exception Blackberry users I see listening to music during my daily commute on the railway are listing to that music on an iPod. A notable number of Android users are doing the same. A lot of people use iTunes for digital music even if they've never bought anything on the iTS or choose a non-iPhone mobile.

I wonder what RIM/MS are planing to do to give these people impetus to change....

Quote:

LOL: makes no sense. The 'book' part sounds like a bit of a nod to the Powerbook and MacBook lines to me too.

Quote:

Pretty sure Apple didn't have the domain or copyright of iPhone when they announced that!
  • Reply 38 of 46
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:

I'm not gonna jump on the "iTunes sucks!" bandwagon, but there are some fundamental changes that need to be made. The biggest is that iTunes still thinks it's just a music player. It doesn't seem to know that it's much more than that now. If you "get info" on a movie or TV show, you still get "artist", "album", "composer" etc. categories. There should be "director", "studio", "network", etc. categories, and iTunes (the name doesn't really make sense anymore either) should know if you're accessing a movie or TV show or podcast or whatever, and adjust its interface and functionality accordingly. Basically, the iTunes interface should reflect the various categories you find in the (increasingly mis-named) iTunes store.

"iMedia Store" sounds dumb. Perhaps "Apple Media Store"? I dunno. Call it the "Movies! Music! TV shows! and so so so much more! Store"
  • Reply 39 of 46
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

"...abandon their Zune users to create a new music store..."

Yep, that's a great way to inspire confidence that:

1. MS stuff will work together.

2. Assuring customers that customer purchases of digital media will be usable on future generations of MS solutions.

MS fail.

I agree changing the name and launching a new product would be awful. People only associate Zune with being bad because it didn't do very well against the iPod, but then the hardware was never released outside the us and Canada, so all the rest of the world knows about it is what they see with wp7 and Xbox. To be fair on these it is really good and offers something completely different to iTunes and Apple tv. All they should really be focusing on is getting the service more streamlined and consistent between the devices, plus bring out a set top box seporate from Xbox, Zbox maybe.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    I guess everyone should just give up trying, throw their hands up in the air in dispair, and cede the entire market to the undeniable Apple juggernaut.