Apple TV updated to stream live MLB & NBA games, offer 5.1 sound with Netflix

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The Apple TV received a software update on Wednesday to version 4.2, adding expected support for AirPlay on third-party iOS 4.3 applications, as well as a few surprise additions, including live streaming games for NBA League Pass and MLB.TV subscribers.

The Apple TV update can be applied on the latest-generation set top box, which retails for $99. New features of the update, as highlighted by Apple, include:

MLB.TV: Watch live and on-demand Major League Baseball games, access stats, scores and standings.

NBA: See scores and more, plus League Pass Broadband subscribers get live and archived games.

AirPlay for apps: Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video from apps and Safari on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Netflix Dolby Digital 5.1: Enjoy Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when watching Netflix movies and TV shows

New slideshow themes: View photos with the new Scrapbook, Photo Mobile, and Holiday Mobile slideshow themes.

Improved on-screen keyboard: Search and enter names and passwords more easily with the redesigned on-screen keyboard.

Once the Apple TV is updated, MLB.TV and NBA content can be accessed through the "Internet" section of the device's main menu. From there, basic information like scores and standings can be accessed, while subscribers can enter their account information to stream live games that are available.

The update also addresses a number of security issues on the Apple TV related to vulnerabilities in FreeType, exploits that can run when viewing a malicious TIFF file, and the ability for an attacker to reset an Apple TV when connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

The update arrived on Wednesday alongside the release of iOS 4.3 for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. That update allows Apple's mobile devices to wirelessly stream content from third-party applications to the set top box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    The updates are nice but there is no mention of fixing the problem with Netflix streaming stopping with long delays. This is the only feature of Apple TV I cannot use... And don't say it is my personal network (as many posts have claimed) as there is a Wii sitting right next to it connected to the same network and it works fine.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Nice to see them adding content for users outside the USA...

Oh well, I'll stick to my PS3 streaming BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and LoveFilm.
  • Reply 3 of 89
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimSteele View Post

The updates are nice but there is no mention of fixing the problem with Netflix streaming stopping with long delays. This is the only feature of Apple TV I cannot use... And don't say it is my personal network (as many posts have claimed) as there is a Wii sitting right next to it connected to the same network and it works fine.

Netflix servers suck at times. Updating the AppleTV won't fix that.
  • Reply 4 of 89
    I love my Apple TV but there are a couple of "fixes" that would be nice:

1) obviously more content, but that is an ongoing issue, and I'm sure there are biz dev people responsible for this

2) AirPlay streaming: I'll be curious to see if the actual performance is improved. I can click on a photo on my iPhone and the photo will appear on the Apple TV, but it will freeze there making moving to the next photo virtually impossible. I have pretty fast Internet and use Apple's own router so you would think this would be more consistent. The addition of more AirPlay functionality through the iOS 4.3 update is one of the things I am most excited about

3) I can't think of a #3

4) If they do #3 then I won't worry about #4
  • Reply 5 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

If it is the "NetFlix" servers then why does the Wii work fine ALL the time and the ATV2 never works right? Simple troubleshooting points to the problem being the ATV2.
  • Reply 6 of 89
    marokeromarokero Posts: 99member
    Wonder if we will be able to play iPhone/iPod games through AirPlay and ATV. Too bad my amp doesn't have optical in, I still need some kind of D/A converter for that.
  • Reply 7 of 89
    Supposedly this update should solve the HDCP/HDMI problems that plague the Apple TV2 with Philips and Sony TV's!

Every 20min the screen/colors go inverted during the HDCP handshake.

Luckily i'm nothing having any problems with it anymore, I just bought myself a new samsung
  • Reply 8 of 89
    Quote:

If it is the "NetFlix" servers then why does the Wii work fine ALL the time and the ATV2 never works right? Simple troubleshooting points to the problem being the ATV2.

The Wii streams a standred def file and the appletv steams in HD?
  • Reply 9 of 89
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

I love my Apple TV but there are a couple of "fixes" that would be nice:

1) obviously more content, but that is an ongoing issue, and I'm sure there are biz dev people responsible for this

2) AirPlay streaming: I'll be curious to see if the actual performance is improved. I can click on a photo on my iPhone and the photo will appear on the Apple TV, but it will freeze there making moving to the next photo virtually impossible. I have pretty fast Internet and use Apple's own router so you would think this would be more consistent. The addition of more AirPlay functionality through the iOS 4.3 update is one of the things I am most excited about

3) I can't think of a #3

4) If they do #3 then I won't worry about #4

Number 3 would be to incorporate or clone XBMC
  • Reply 10 of 89
    ESPN3. Please.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I assume the 5.1 bitstream will be available out of the optical jack and not just through HDMI? I also assume it's Dolby Digital (AC-3) and not the newer Dolby Digital Plus that Netflix began offering last year with 7.1 support?
  • Reply 12 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I could not take the buffering with Netflix, so now I just order the dvds. I was wondering if it was my cable company intentionally disrupting my bandwidth for that domain or whether it was Netflix. On normal downloading to my iMac I get around 2+ megs a second. Yeah, I know, pretty slow, but it should be fast enough, don't you think?
  • Reply 13 of 89
    jonrojonro Posts: 64member
    How nice that Apple has added Internet content that they would earn money from. Where's Pandora. I use it fairly frequently and want it on my ATV.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I could not take the buffering with Netflix, so now I just order the dvds. I was wondering if it was my cable company intentionally disrupting my bandwidth for that domain or whether it was Netflix. On normal downloading to my iMac I get around 2+ megs a second. Yeah, I know, pretty slow, but it should be fast enough, don't you think?

I had constant re-buffering when my speeds went anything below 5 on HD. Since my provider made some upgrades a few months ago and I now get a solid 10, I've not had any problems. Not sure if there's anything to this or not, but it seems like when the bandwidth limitation is on MY end, the status bar reappears with the spinning buffer icon. When the problem is on NETFLIX's end, the video just pauses without the status bar appearing.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    dbcndbcn Posts: 3member
    did they fix the bit about taking 2 hours to download an hour and a half long movie yet?

I like my ATV, and would rent a ton of movies if they started 10 min from the time I rented them, instead of 2 hrs later.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    gkmgkm Posts: 1member
    I see it sometimes watching Netflix with ATV2 and switch to Roku to finish watching the movie.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have 40 megs download and every now and then I get super slow streaming with Netflix- when it does happen, it's usually on the weekends.
  • Reply 18 of 89
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    Quote:

If you think there is something wrong with your ATV, bring it in for service.. Should still be under warranty.
  • Reply 19 of 89
    vman69vman69 Posts: 1member
    no love for the original Apple TV user, I suppose?
  • Reply 20 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonro View Post

How nice that Apple has added Internet content that they would earn money from. Where's Pandora. I use it fairly frequently and want it on my ATV.

You mean like Youtube, Internet radio, and Podcasts? And the NBA game highlights are free!