Apple's iWork '11 suite tracking for release alongside Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I don't see Apple committing to maintain two separate iWork codebases unless they plan to take a significant share of the Windows office productivity market. You can't do that without corporate sales.

Otherwise, Apple is just fighting a $114. copy of MS Office for Home and Student (Amazon), with a $79. copy of iWork. To what end?
  • Reply 82 of 116
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Dear Apple,

I beg your explanations and any possible tutorials on how to upload PDF file to iWork.com.

P.S. Not a problem in the least to write home-brew plugin for that. Just allow plugins.
  • Reply 83 of 116
    The Mexico Best Buy is announcing iWork '11 available February 19th.
  • Reply 84 of 116
    Got a screenshot?
  • Reply 85 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Got a screenshot?

9to5Mac does.

http://www.9to5mac.com/52128/iwork-1...est-buy-mexico

It's obviously a placeholder image.
  • Reply 86 of 116
    So, uh. Whatever happened to iWork 11?

Maybe we should watch for iWork 12?
  • Reply 87 of 116
    We have updates to the MacBook line, FaceTime and a completely new IO standard, with rumours or confirmation of updates to the iPad, iPhone, all the desktop lines, Final Cut, MobileMe and Mac OS Lion.

I think Cupertino might have forgotten they also make a productivity suite.
  • Reply 88 of 116
    Quote:

I think Cupertino might have forgotten they also make a productivity suite.

Productivity suite? Next you'll be telling me that Apple makes a tiny, headless desktop and promised us resolution independence four years ago!

Such nonsense.
  • Reply 89 of 116
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

PowerPoint 2010 has improved a lot, in fact from 2007 it has been trying to mimic or copy Keynote is every areas. However Keynotes 09 is still better then 2010. And 2011 may be even better

I think Pages and Word are two different type of Word Processing Apps. Pages is more about design and presentation of the document. And Word is... arh... i dont know, more like an Type Writing with a Screen. Honestly my usage will never use the full limit of Word 's full functionality. I only remember the pain and frustration of Wanting to throw my Computer into the trash. Trying to Line up Graphics, Foot notes etc. Then i try Pages on Mac, although i have been using Keynotes, I have never used pages before because i thought it was like toys and not for true Office Work. It turns out i was wrong. Using iWork is such a present experience. Layout would just work, default template were beautiful. The same goes for Pages.

Till today i still dont know what is the TRUE meaning of spreadsheet. The usage that people said Excel is better then Numbers sounds very Database work like to me.

Numbers is absolute crap compared to Excel.
  • Reply 90 of 116
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgreeniwa View Post

So, uh. Whatever happened to iWork 11?

Indeed. Nothing yet.
  • Reply 91 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Numbers is absolute crap compared to Excel.

I disagree - to a point. Numbers isn't as capable as Excel in terms of the amount of data it processes and the number of function it supports. However, for the vast majority of number crunchers, I think Numbers is adequate. It also, I think, makes far better looking reports and charts than Excel and I've switched over for some of high-level reporting (and have had quite a few comments about how great my charts look).

I will agree that it's not quite there yet as a replacement for Excel, not as the other iWork apps are. I almost never use Word anymore as Pages is much easier to use and creates better looking documents, and I haven't touched PowerPoint in years aside from one occasion where I needed to collaborate with a few Windows folk for a presentation. On that occasion I was reminded at just how awful it is. I felt as though I had my hands tied behind my back and was forced to type with my nose. That is how cumbersome I find PowerPoint to be in comparison to Keynote.
  • Reply 92 of 116
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    The dirty little secret of Excel is that in truth it's the world's most complicated table-maker. I can't recall the last time anyone sent me an Excel spreadsheet (and I get plenty of them) that actually included a formula. The vast majority of the time they are simple tables, which could have been made in any word processor (and probably much better).

Yes, for real spreadsheet jocks, Excel is still the gold standard. So what percentage of Excel users are real spreadsheet jocks? I'd be surprised if it was more than the low single digits.
  • Reply 93 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The dirty little secret of Excel is that in truth it's the world's most complicated table-maker. I can't recall the last time anyone sent me an Excel spreadsheet (and I get plenty of them) that actually included a formula. The vast majority of the time they are simple tables, which could have been made in any word processor (and probably much better).

Yes, for real spreadsheet jocks, Excel is still the gold standard. So what percentage of Excel users are real spreadsheet jocks? I'd be surprised if it was more than the low single digits.

Very low single digits.

I worked for 8 years as an analyst at a Fortune 100 company (at the time 50,000+ employees, of which 70+% had at least a Master’s degree). Of that 2,000 were analysts of one kind or another. The other 48k used Excel as you indicate, a glorified table maker.

Of the analysts, at least half knew enough about formulas to get most of their work done; but they had no checks and balances in place, could not trouble shoot spreadsheets that got out of hand, etc. Of the analysts about 50 knew how to construct workable, sustainable data documents.

A few of us used Excel in such a way that we developed powerful spreadsheets so they 1) worked as interfaces with the mainframe (updated with VBA accessing), 2) calculated huge amounts on data real time, 3) were easily maintainable, 4) had built in error checking, troubleshooting, and 5) provided a detailed process for how everything worked, including all VBA. My last two years were spent training other analysts to move in that direction. And these were top of the line people in a well educated company.
  • Reply 94 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrayShades View Post

Very low single digits.

I worked for 8 years as an analyst at a Fortune 100 company (at the time 50,000+ employees, of which 70+% had at least a Master’s degree). Of that 2,000 were analysts of one kind or another. The other 48k used Excel as you indicate, a glorified table maker.

Of the analysts, at least half knew enough about formulas to get most of their work done; but they had no checks and balances in place, could not trouble shoot spreadsheets that got out of hand, etc. Of the analysts about 50 knew how to construct workable, sustainable data documents.

A few of us used Excel in such a way that we developed powerful spreadsheets so they 1) worked as interfaces with the mainframe (updated with VBA accessing), 2) calculated huge amounts on data real time, 3) were easily maintainable, 4) had built in error checking, troubleshooting, and 5) provided a detailed process for how everything worked, including all VBA. My last two years were spent training other analysts to move in that direction. And these were top of the line people in a well educated company.

You speak truth. Excel has become one of my main pet peeves. It's thought to be so indispensable, but for most users, it's virtually useless except to open all of the other utterly inappropriate Excel files created by people who should be using something else to make their tables. It is massively overburdened with features that hardly anyone uses; and yet, Excel files are ubiquitous. Most of them look like crap, besides. This is also one of my complaints about Word. Almost everyone would benefit from simpler tools that produce better results for the tasks they actually face.
  • Reply 95 of 116
    jsk173jsk173 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I disagree - to a point. Numbers isn't as capable as Excel in terms of the amount of data it processes and the number of function it supports. ...

Just out of curiosity, is there an accepted wisdom in terms of the maximum number of rows that should be used/created in a Numbers file?
  • Reply 96 of 116
    Okay, so this wait is getting ridiculous.

At this point, I think that iWork '11/'12 must somehow hook into the new MobileMe upgrade or have new iOS5 compatibility.

This means we'll probably be waiting for iWork for another month at least.
  • Reply 97 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Okay, so this wait is getting ridiculous.

So buy something else? What's wrong with iWork '09?
  • Reply 98 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So buy something else? What's wrong with iWork '09?

It's like buying a used car?
  • Reply 99 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's like buying a used car?

It's like buying a brand new 2009 model in 2011. Exact same lifespan as any other 2009 model.
  • Reply 100 of 116
    Nothing's 'wrong' with iWork '09. I use it everyday.

But with iWork, Apple committed to serving the consumer/SOHO productivity market. Just like their hardware lines, there's nothing wrong with asking that they regularly continue to improve the product as time goes on.