Xcode 4 available to all on Apple's Mac App Store for $4.99

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

No, "everyone else" cannot purchase it, because a large portion of the user base never upgraded to Snow Leopard due to the huge range of compatibility problems (see snowleopard.wikidot.com), and the App Store is Snow Leopard only.

That's why The App Store and a whole bunch of other things have been artificially limited to Snow Leopard; they're trying to accumulate enough reasons to force the holdouts to switch -- unfortunately, this mechanism abuses their customers.

The correct path would to have been to ensure compatibility for the huge range of applications and drivers they broke with Snow Leopard. When they chose not to do that, they hard-forked the user base. No, not a typo.

So some people (and it's not a majority percentage, quite the opposite) are on five + year old hardware and therefore can't download apps through the current version of the operating system that would work on modern hardware.

Any dev that's on five year+ old hardware is a failed dev.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    jschuurjschuur Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Really? I logged in using my free credentials and It pointed me right to the App store to get X-code and not allowing it to download from the web interface.

Yeah, I was mislead by this 'Download Xcode 4 for free' screenshot. I'm a paying developer, and I just created a free account and you're correct, you can only get Xcode 3 for free.

Still, if you're serious about development, $5 is nothing, and if you're not $5 worth of serious, Xcode 3 works just fine to get a feel for what you're getting yourself into.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    kirkgraykirkgray Posts: 31member
    Quote:

No, "everyone else" cannot purchase it, because a large portion of the user base never upgraded to Snow Leopard due to the huge range of compatibility problems (see snowleopard.wikidot.com), and the App Store is Snow Leopard only.

That's why The App Store and a whole bunch of other things have been artificially limited to Snow Leopard; they're trying to accumulate enough reasons to force the holdouts to switch -- unfortunately, this mechanism abuses their customers.

The correct path would to have been to ensure compatibility for the huge range of applications and drivers they broke with Snow Leopard. When they chose not to do that, they hard-forked the user base. No, not a typo.

Sorry, NO.

If you want a company that worships backward compatibility to the point of stagnation, you're looking for Microsoft.

Apple (under Jobs) is an innovative company. They create new tech and axe the old. Apple is skating to where the puck will be. Apple is moving forward and expects partners (providers of applications and hardware) to move forward as well.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    ilfuriailfuria Posts: 10member
    Hi, has anyone in here tried to use OpenCV 2.2 with Xcode 4? I just got it running properly with Xcode 3.something, and would like to know whether it works before upgrading
  • Reply 25 of 94
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IlFuria View Post

Hi, has anyone in here tried to use OpenCV 2.2 with Xcode 4? I just got it running properly with Xcode 3.something, and would like to know whether it works before upgrading

Learn Git or SVN.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

Don't waste your money on "higher education", after 30 years of life I've determined education in the US exists solely for status and enriching endowments.

Becoming an educated person is way overrated. You can learn all you need to know from Fox news. The louder opinion is always right.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    I have a free account and have Xcode 3 installed on my mac mostly just to play with.

$4.99 is a deal by any measure for this development suite.

If you are getting it to learn, you will probably spend far more on books...
  • Reply 28 of 94
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Can anybody recommend a resource for someone who wants to try programming for the Mac or iDevices using Objective-C, but who has never programmed in any flavor of C before?

I have written programs before, but always in higher level languages like BASIC (yuck) or, more recently, R (which is a statistical programming language derived from S, which in turn was based on, I think, LISP).

Have a look at pragmatic programmers:

iPhone SDK Development

Also iTunes U -- Stanford has a podcast series:

iPhone Application Development
  • Reply 29 of 94
    rayrrayr Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Can anybody recommend a resource for someone who wants to try programming for the Mac or iDevices using Objective-C, but who has never programmed in any flavor of C before?

I recommend Matt Neuburg's new book, Programming iOS 4:

http://oreilly.com/catalog/0636920010258/

I only had a scripting background, but the "Just Enough C" chapter helped greatly. Neuburg provides a basic introduction, and references to other materials, including what chapters to focus on in the original Kernighan/Ritchie C book.

As for the rest of Programming iOS 4, I think it is now the most comprehensive third-party book available for beginners.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

No, "everyone else" cannot purchase it, because a large portion of the user base never upgraded to Snow Leopard due to the huge range of compatibility problems (see snowleopard.wikidot.com), and the App Store is Snow Leopard only.....

The really funny thing is I just went to that site you link to and not only does it look like something out of 1995 in terms of web design, it doesn't even display properly in the browser. The main page has a simple table that crawls out of the border and extends off the right hand side of the page! A two year old could write better CSS than that.

So your calling out Apple for bad software design or whatever, and your doing it by pointing to a super confusing, poorly laid out HTML mess that can't even display a simple HTML table browser correctly.

What a joke!
  • Reply 31 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jschuur View Post

You can actually still get Xcode 4 for free, if you're a registered (for the free plan) member of the Apple developer portal.

Paying members will presumably get access to future betas, just like before Xcode 4 went final.

Edit: Scratch that. Free members are linked to the $4.99 app store download. Can't get it for free after all.

Yes, the post is wrong.

I've been a member for several years, downloaded the version 3 for free.

Free will no longer be the case...
  • Reply 32 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

That's just cheeky.

It will be interesting to see if it comes on the Lion DVD/Flash Drive.

It's a sign of the times. When Mac OS X 10.0 shipped Apple gave away all dev tools to encourage anyone to write for Apple's platforms. Now they don't need to, people will pay them to write for their platforms.

Still £2.99 for Xcode 4 is better than the £709.99 for Microsoft's equivalent Visual Studio.

It may portend things to come...

XCode 4, as a single integrated IDE, could be [rather easily] ported to another platform -- say Windows or Linux
  • Reply 33 of 94
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Awesome! I'm going to purchase that tonight.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jschuur View Post

Yeah, I was mislead by this 'Download Xcode 4 for free' screenshot. I'm a paying developer, and I just created a free account and you're correct, you can only get Xcode 3 for free.

Still, if you're serious about development, $5 is nothing, and if you're not $5 worth of serious, Xcode 3 works just fine to get a feel for what you're getting yourself into.

I logged into my paid iOS Developer account ($99/yr) and am downloading x_code_4_and_ios_sdk_4.3__final.dmg
  • Reply 35 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Awesome! I'm going to purchase that tonight.

Don't click on "Purchases" after you do. The Mac App Store instantly crashes no matter what you try.

My download is nowhere near done yet (university Internet speeds suck), so once it's finished downloading XCode, we'll see if Purchases works again.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    fyngyrzfyngyrz Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

So some people (and it's not a majority percentage, quite the opposite) are on five + year old hardware and therefore can't download apps through the current version of the operating system that would work on modern hardware.

Any dev that's on five year+ old hardware is a failed dev.

No, it has nothing to do with hardware. It has to do with software and drivers. Which is exactly what I said. As for the percentage, I didn't make any claims about it being the majority, either. As for your "failed dev" comment, that's just idiotic. Is your blood sugar low?

Thanks for posting. It's always amusing to be reminded that *anyone* can get on the Internet these days.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't click on "Purchases" after you do. The Mac App Store instantly crashes no matter what you try.

My download is nowhere near done yet (university Internet speeds suck), so once it's finished downloading XCode, we'll see if Purchases works again.

You need to fix your App Store. Read the developer help forums.
  • Reply 38 of 94

A note to all you aspiring iPhone/iPad developers...

I have already reserved the iOS app name "dickbar"...
  • Reply 39 of 94
    fyngyrzfyngyrz Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

A two year old could write better CSS than that.

Attempting (very poorly) to discredit the facts in my statement by attacking the CSS that surrounds the data is completely ineffective. If you can't address the issue, you aren't worth paying any significant attention to. kthxbye.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertZBert View Post

Yes, the post is wrong.

I've been a member for several years, downloaded the version 3 for free.

Free will no longer be the case...

Well it does come free with every Mac. I am a paid dev so I always get it there, but it can be installed from the DVD that came with your Mac.