Xcode 4 available to all on Apple's Mac App Store for $4.99

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The $4.99 is not bad for Xcode and all the documentation. I just wonder how many Apple expect to sell!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I hope they aren't offering a subscription outside of an app without also allowing the option to subscribe inside the app, tsk. Bundling emulators too.

I think $100 a year is a lot to ask just to test apps. How do they even come up with that price? If you jailbreak, you can get it for free and it feels so much better knowing you are free to develop for your own hardware without one day Apple stopping your license.

I could understand a fee for publishing to the store or even for support but not just to allow you to do hardware debugging.

If someone can install their own app on devices without jailbreaking then what stops them from selling their own apps outside the app store?! Installing an app on a device for development requires the device UDID to be entered into the Developers Portal, which is for paid developers only. The process also requires security certificates, provisioning profiles.. etc.
  • Reply 42 of 94
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    How come Apple is now charging (albeit small amount of) money for this. It used to be one of great selling points of Mac and OS X that I used to tell everyone that Macs came with pro development tools bundled with each Mac (as optional install).

This seems like a change in policy for the worse?
  • Reply 43 of 94
    revilrerevilre Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Becoming an educated person is way overrated. You can learn all you need to know from Fox news. The louder opinion is always right.

You can learn everything you need from NPR too... Or do what I do, take them all, listen and laugh at their narrow view of the universe. Then seek out as much information as you can, develop your own reasoning skills etc. then you won't need anyone to tell you what to think.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I wonder why it costs $! more in Australia, seeing as I pay (via my ISP) to drag those bits across the Pacific.

Must be one of those transfer pricing things.

When are the boundaries going to come down, I can buy other things from the US at the same price as people who are physically located there pay.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    I'm a little confused about what this means for programming an iOS device. Can I use Xcode 4 to test iOS apps in the simulator (not on the devices) without being enrolled in the developer program?
  • Reply 46 of 94
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wonder why it costs $! more in Australia, seeing as I pay (via my ISP) to drag those bits across the Pacific.

Must be one of those transfer pricing things.

When are the boundaries going to come down, I can buy other things from the US at the same price as people who are physically located there pay.

You're not purchasing it from the US, you are purchasing it from Aussie. If you want to purchase it from the US get some iTunes gift cards, or a US credit card.

But apart from that, this is just another example of how digitial distribution is over priced.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

I'm a little confused about what this means for programming an iOS device. Can I use Xcode 4 to test iOS apps in the simulator (not on the devices) without being enrolled in the developer program?

Yes you can. You only need to enroll in the iOS developers program if you want to install your app on a device and sell through the app store.
  • Reply 48 of 94
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I hope they aren't offering a subscription outside of an app without also allowing the option to subscribe inside the app, tsk. Bundling emulators too.

I think $100 a year is a lot to ask just to test apps. How do they even come up with that price? If you jailbreak, you can get it for free and it feels so much better knowing you are free to develop for your own hardware without one day Apple stopping your license.

I could understand a fee for publishing to the store or even for support but not just to allow you to do hardware debugging.

..so you just want to test and NOT sell them on the store?

can you clarify this " If you jailbreak, you can get it for free and it feels so much better knowing you are free to develop for your own hardware without one day Apple stopping your license"

... get what for free and what do you mean develop for your own hardware?
  • Reply 49 of 94
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I am unclear, what do I get now that I didn't get for free a few weeks ago with xcode 3.x.x?
  • Reply 50 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

what do you mean develop for your own hardware?

Jailbroken iDevices aren't encumbered by proper provisioning profiles.

Any applications you make will run on a jailbroken device. When the provisioning profile for my iPhone ran out a year after my iPhone development class ended, my applications still synced because it was jailbroken.
  • Reply 51 of 94
    tailstails Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

How come Apple is now charging (albeit small amount of) money for this. It used to be one of great selling points of Mac and OS X that I used to tell everyone that Macs came with pro development tools bundled with each Mac (as optional install).

This seems like a change in policy for the worse?

It's a change in the policy, in a good way.

XCode was never "free". XCode was part of the new OS releases, 2.0 with 10.4, 3.0 with 10.5. So you had to pay 129$ to use the new XCode because it didn't work with previous OS's.

For the first time, Apple is releasing a new XCode, without making it limited to their new OS release 10.7.

And they are charging a small fee for it. So in a way, this one costs 124$ less than the previous ones.

And I bet this will be included with 10.7 for free so the policy to include XCode with the new release will not change.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    So they're finally charging for Xcode? For the last 10 years it's been free but now it's part of a $99 dev program or $4.99 standalone. Still, a good price.

The title of this article should really have been "Apple to start charging for Developer Tools."
  • Reply 53 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So they're finally charging for Xcode? For the last 10 years it's been free but now it's part of a $99 dev program or $4.99 standalone. Still, a good price.

The title of this article should really have been "Apple to start charging for Developer Tools."

Again, if you actually think about it, XCode was never free.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    Quote:

People will complain about that, but they also dropped the paid dev side from $500 to $99 so I?ll take that combo any day of the week over free dev tool and $500 paid membership.
  • Reply 55 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tails View Post

Again, if you actually think about it, XCode was never free.

In the past you could download it from developer.apple.com with only a free membership (I think).
  • Reply 56 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

People will complain about that, but they also dropped the paid dev side from $500 to $99 so I?ll take that combo any day of the week over free dev tool and $500 paid membership.

People will complain because they don't realize that this is the first time Apple is releasing a new version of XCode, without making it limited to the concurrent OS release.

This costs 124$ less than the previous XCode's. None of the older ones were usable without buying the OS which costed 129$.
  • Reply 57 of 94
    Quote:

That's right, that was an amazing deal. I still have 3 of those $500 t-shirts lying around. The hardware discount was good though.
  • Reply 58 of 94
    Quote:

In the past you could download it from developer.apple.com with only a free membership (I think).

If you buy the new OS as well, which was never free. XCode 2 released with 10.4, did not work with 10.3. XCode 3 released with 10.5, did not work with 10.4.

XCode 4 released with 10.7, works with 10.6, for a 5$ fee.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tails View Post

People will complain because they don't realize that this is the first time Apple is releasing a new version of XCode, without making it limited to the concurrent OS release.

This costs 124$ less than the previous XCode's. None of the older ones were usable without buying the OS which costed 129$.

I hadn?t even noticed that. I installed Lion but still haven?t gotten around to checking out Xcode 4. $5 is cheap.

PS: I wonder if the OS will $29 again since they?ll be using the Mac App Store for the main delivery system?
  • Reply 60 of 94
    Quote:

I hadn?t even noticed that. I installed Lion but still haven?t gotten around to checking out Xcode 4. $5 is cheap.

PS: I wonder if the OS will $29 again since they?ll be using the Mac App Store for the main delivery system?

I don't know how much Lion will cost, but I bet XCode 4 will be free for anyone who buys Lion.