Apple rumored to enter new collaboration with Canon

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 48
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post


    I hopt that's it. I'm a Nikon guy and I don't want to start playing second fiddle to Canon. I don't care if Apple starts selling Canon products, I just hate to see them having an unfair advantage in support/features.



    F cannon !
  • Reply 22 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,005member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    RED's setup for 4K is stunning both on price and quality. They are going to make it possible for the next wave of Spielberg's, Lucas, Raimes, etc., to make films on an actual budget which I can see breaking through in the Horror and Sci-Fi genres which are both growing long in the tooth.



    We'll see some interesting things with Peter Jackson's "Hobbit" films. As I understand it, he'll be using stereo RED Epics. Should be epic!
  • Reply 23 of 48
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    How about if Canon were to concentrate on optimizing low-light, high ISO images? Nikon is kicking their arses in this area. And a full frame high shutter speed dSLR wouldn't be bad either... (APS-H in 2011? Really?)



    I have recently purchased a Nikon DSLR for my son, my first non-Canon camera purchase in as long as I can remember. Canon seems to be stagnating, is this perception flawed? I hope so. \



    A meaningful collaboration with Apple could only be good for Canon. How about the possibility of bringing the A5 and other features to Canon hardware? (Just chewing the cud there - no, not weed! (At least, I don't think so!))
  • Reply 24 of 48
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsvogt View Post


    How about Canon opens their dev kit to remotely control cameras via the iPad since the screen is much larger than a cameras display screen? Maybe within a mobile version of Aperture??



    A live-back, Canon DSLR has been able to be controlled from Apple computers directly for some time.



    (Of course, you were referring specifically to the iPad, I understand that \)
  • Reply 25 of 48
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post


    Bluetooth and/or 802.11 interfaces on Canon cameras.



    In addition to the obvious use case of wireless download of pictures from Canon cameras to Apple devices, the killer application would be the capability to email/post your picture using your phone/iPad by live syncing the Canon camera to the Apple device. This could either be done by enabling a menu option on the Canon camera, or by being able to browse the pictures on the Canon camera using the iPhone/iPad and selection the ones to email/post...



    With large raw image sizes now quite common and the capacity of camera memory cards to store large numbers of large files, perhaps Canon employing Thunderbolt would be newsworthy.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    How about Apple team up with Olympus and Carl Zeiss AG? What about RED? However, doing research with Carl Zeiss AG would suffice.



    Remember this name? (Silly question \)



    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zeiss_Ikon



    It's being revived.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post


    Probably just Canon agreeing to make printers compatible with AirPrint.



    But I thought that nobody prints anything anymore.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post


    You must be new here

    Also, a printer? Really? Printing is increasingly becoming a niche market. When you can carry anything you would need to read or show another person on a handheld device like an iPad or iPhone, printing isn't necessary.



  • Reply 28 of 48
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple reportedly ran into problems in shipping a Final Cut Studio update last year, with the Shake and Motion teams unable to achieve consensus on plans to merge the entire package into a unified user interface that focused on the mainstream market rather than developing a targeted, leading edge niche product.



    There's still a Shake team?
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsvogt View Post


    How about Canon opens their dev kit to remotely control cameras via the iPad since the screen is much larger than a cameras display screen? Maybe within a mobile version of Aperture??



    Absolutely!! Those are the 2 things I'm really hoping for too!
  • Reply 30 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    We'll see some interesting things with Peter Jackson's "Hobbit" films. As I understand it, he'll be using stereo RED Epics. Should be epic!



    Peter is one of the only directors I can count on to do an epic work justice. He makes Fantasy breathe as it should.



    I'd love to see a Sword of Shannara, DragonLance Chronicles, Weaveworld or, Tad William's Otherland project with him at the helm.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Remember this name? (Silly question \)



    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zeiss_Ikon



    It's being revived.



    That is damn cool.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Apple should first require Canon to clean up its act as far as neglected scanner drivers go.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsvogt View Post


    How about Canon opens their dev kit to remotely control cameras via the iPad since the screen is much larger than a cameras display screen? Maybe within a mobile version of Aperture??



    I like this idea. Let me just amend/clarify what you're suggesting: Full camera control interface from within Aperture, plus, full HD camera control interface from within Final Cut (Pro/Express). Oh, and just imagine what could be done when the next-gen EOS cameras are tethered via Thunderbolt! LiveView direct from the camera sensor with virtually no image lag! Hmmm. Then again, if the camera's gonna be tethered, it would presumably be in a studio environment, in which image LiveView delay is less of an issue.



    BONUS WISH: Camera control via Aperture for up to 999 cameras simultaneously/sequentially. I believe in 'The Matrix', they used between 100 and 200 cameras (Canon EOS, btw) for their "bullet-time" scenes. Why stop there??
  • Reply 34 of 48
    loobieloobie Posts: 4member
    Ok requirement is Airprint! I hate HP and support for my old printer was dropped by HP thus rendering it useless after Snow Leopard upgrades hence I said I'd never go HP again. I shouldn't be forced to buy a new printer every 4 years. But I was tempted to buy a HP again for the airprint until I slapped myself around the face and reminded myself of the HP correspondence I had had. So for sure Airprint is increasing sales for HP and thus losing sales for Canon (whose printers are excellent!).



    Killer idea - Live view interface and control of Canon DSLR's! This would be a wow to all keen photographers out there. Hook up my ipad in the field to my Canon 5D and get a live view on my ipad. Adjust settings, ISO, Aperture etc, fire the shutter and then have the image transferred immediately from the camera SD card to ipad for review and backup and hey even to be emailed instantly around the world. The LCD on the back of the 5D is good but small and its only when you load up an image on a monitor that you see the detail, defects and or any issues. Doing that live in the field would be a huge bonus. Likelihood of this? Close to zero maybe! But its all doable and I can't help think that the area Apple have underdeveloped the iphone and ipad is in photos. They have iphoto and Aperture for the Mac and so have good expertise in image processing yet there is no such functionality provided on the ipad or iphone. So maybe this is part of a bigger project similar to imovie being a scaled down version for the ipad and iphone. Maybe its relating to work on a scaled down version of iphoto / Aperture for the ipad /iphone - Live view, camera control, auto transfer of images followed by image storage, organisation and editing. After which these albums when sync'd upload in to iphoto and Aperture (both the original (Raw or Jpeg) and edited version (as Aperture currently works).



    This news article is probably not related AT ALL! But for me thats where the gap is for Apple to fill. And the photography industry is still one of the quickest growing industries even through the relevant recessions. I can dream.......
  • Reply 35 of 48
    My first thought when briefly read it was, to release a full HD camcorder with Thunderbolt port ?



    Super quick file transfer, live recording using just one cable (for data and power), .. im sure there is more i could think of but its a bit early in the morning.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Without seeing your post first... I'm thinking along the same lines here: AI forum post



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loobie View Post


    Ok requirement is Airprint! I hate HP and support for my old printer was dropped by HP thus rendering it useless after Snow Leopard upgrades hence I said I'd never go HP again. I shouldn't be forced to buy a new printer every 4 years. But I was tempted to buy a HP again for the airprint until I slapped myself around the face and reminded myself of the HP correspondence I had had. So for sure Airprint is increasing sales for HP and thus losing sales for Canon (whose printers are excellent!).



    Killer idea - Live view interface and control of Canon DSLR's! This would be a wow to all keen photographers out there. Hook up my ipad in the field to my Canon 5D and get a live view on my ipad. Adjust settings, ISO, Aperture etc, fire the shutter and then have the image transferred immediately from the camera SD card to ipad for review and backup and hey even to be emailed instantly around the world. The LCD on the back of the 5D is good but small and its only when you load up an image on a monitor that you see the detail, defects and or any issues. Doing that live in the field would be a huge bonus. Likelihood of this? Close to zero maybe! But its all doable and I can't help think that the area Apple have underdeveloped the iphone and ipad is in photos. They have iphoto and Aperture for the Mac and so have good expertise in image processing yet there is no such functionality provided on the ipad or iphone. So maybe this is part of a bigger project similar to imovie being a scaled down version for the ipad and iphone. Maybe its relating to work on a scaled down version of iphoto / Aperture for the ipad /iphone - Live view, camera control, auto transfer of images followed by image storage, organisation and editing. After which these albums when sync'd upload in to iphoto and Aperture (both the original (Raw or Jpeg) and edited version (as Aperture currently works).



    This news article is probably not related AT ALL! But for me thats where the gap is for Apple to fill. And the photography industry is still one of the quickest growing industries even through the relevant recessions. I can dream.......



  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    How about if Canon were to concentrate on optimizing low-light, high ISO images? Nikon is kicking their arses in this area. And a full frame high shutter speed dSLR wouldn't be bad either... (APS-H in 2011? Really?)



    Well, in fairness, let's look at the actual full-frame models:



    Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, 21.1 MP, 5 fps

    Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 21.1 MP, 5 fps



    Nikon D3s, 12.1 MP, 9 fps (FX) mode, 11 fps (DX) mode

    Nikon D3x, 24.5 MP, 5 fps (FX) mode, 7 fps (DX) mode

    Nikon D700, 12.1 MP, 5 fps, 8 fps w/ MB-D10 grip



    It appears there are trade-offs with both brands, and I think they balance out in the end. Basically comes down to where you've invested your gear. And if you're new to the DSLR world, and trying to decide, you can ask some trusted friends/colleagues?where you'll likely get equally strong arguments from either side, or you can just flip a coin. Either way, you're getting a solid, robust outfit.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    I have recently purchased a Nikon DSLR for my son, my first non-Canon camera purchase in as long as I can remember. Canon seems to be stagnating, is this perception flawed? I hope so. \



    I think the Canon vs. Nikon debate is about as lively and interesting as the PC vs Mac debate. That said, I had to come down on the Canon side for a couple of reasons:
    1) Nikon's "additional overcharges"?If you want to control your Nikon DSLR via computer, you have to buy the software for an additional $150. With Canon, the computer control software is included. Granted, it could be better, but at least it works!

    2) In the sub-DSLR category, Canon's PowerShot G-series cameras far outshine anything Nikon has.
    Quote:

    A meaningful collaboration with Apple could only be good for Canon. How about the possibility of bringing the A5 and other features to Canon hardware? (Just chewing the cud there - no, not weed! (At least, I don't think so!))



    Hmmmm. Interesting idea. Makes me wonder how the A5 chip compares with Canon's DiG!C 4 chip. My guess is that Canon's chip is custom built and is tied very closely with their software, and they don't want to be dependent on Apple in that area. I don't see though, why they couldn't add some code that would make their cameras play nice with Apple hardware/software. That would be pretty cool!



    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think historically, Canon has been more Mac-friendly than Nikon has. I'm basing this on my experience with Nikon many years ago?I seem to recall that Nikon had some features/capabilities that were only accessible via Windows.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post


    Well, in fairness, let's look at the actual full-frame models:



    Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, 21.1 MP, 5 fps

    Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 21.1 MP, 5 fps



    Nikon D3s, 12.1 MP, 9 fps (FX) mode, 11 fps (DX) mode

    Nikon D3x, 24.5 MP, 5 fps (FX) mode, 7 fps (DX) mode

    Nikon D700, 12.1 MP, 5 fps, 8 fps w/ MB-D10 grip



    It appears there are trade-offs with both brands, and I think they balance out in the end. Basically comes down to where you've invested your gear. And if you're new to the DSLR world, and trying to decide, you can ask some trusted friends/colleagues?where you'll likely get equally strong arguments from either side, or you can just flip a coin. Either way, you're getting a solid, robust outfit.



    The camera that I purchased isn't in that league, where I believe Canon probably has the advantage. The controls (physical and menu driven) on the Nikon that I bought are brilliant.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post


    I think the Canon vs. Nikon debate is about as lively and interesting as the PC vs Mac debate. That said, I had to come down on the Canon side for a couple of reasons:
    1) Nikon's "additional overcharges"?If you want to control your Nikon DSLR via computer, you have to buy the software for an additional $150. With Canon, the computer control software is included. Granted, it could be better, but at least it works!

    2) In the sub-DSLR category, Canon's PowerShot G-series cameras far outshine anything Nikon has.
    Hmmmm. Interesting idea. Makes me wonder how the A5 chip compares with Canon's DiG!C 4 chip. My guess is that Canon's chip is custom built and is tied very closely with their software, and they don't want to be dependent on Apple in that area. I don't see though, why they couldn't add some code that would make their cameras play nice with Apple hardware/software. That would be pretty cool!



    Would employing an A5 chip be necessary in order to implement Thunderbolt in a suitable form factor? (Surely not where space and power aren't an issue. \) (That is, in very small form factor devices such as an iPhone, will the processor handle external comms too?



    Personally, I believe that Canon's particular appeal is in the sub-DSLR category, their point and shoot cameras and in the high-range DSLRs with really nice lenses.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post


    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think historically, Canon has been more Mac-friendly than Nikon has. I'm basing this on my experience with Nikon many years ago?I seem to recall that Nikon had some features/capabilities that were only accessible via Windows.



    I have always been very happy using Canon cameras with my Mac (previously employing Firewire for example).
  • Reply 39 of 48
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post


    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think historically, Canon has been more Mac-friendly than Nikon has.



    Canon and Apple/Steve Jobs have had a long relationship. The first Apple LaserWriter was Canon-based (we had a LaserWriter and a Canon copier in our office and they shared the same toner cartridge. What are the chances that would ever happen these days?) Then, NeXT used Canon's magneto-optical drives in the original Cubes, and later Canon invested $100M into NeXT and even made an Intel-based machine that ran NeXTSTEP.



    I'm not sure how Jobs' relationship with the company has fared over the intervening years, but assuming he didn't burn any bridges I imagine that Apple and Canon have a deeper commitment to each other than many other vendors. (There again, Apple put the CEO of Intuit on their board of directors, and that hasn't prevented Quicken from still sucking on the Mac relative its Windows version.)
  • Reply 40 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,570member
    No meat, again.
Sign In or Register to comment.