Review roundup: Apple's iPad 2 is best tablet yet, but cameras disappoint

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You'd have to feel sorry for Charlie. All those people making fun of him can f themselves. Here he's having a very public nervous break-down. Poor fellow. He's so deluded he's rejecting help offered to him by his family. This may not have a happy ending.

Bah. Most people manage to figure out how to not bring their nervous breakdown onto almost every single TV show that does interviews.
  • Reply 62 of 117
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Can you read? What does that have to do with iPad?

The Safari which was hacked was not iOS Safari, but Safari running on a Macbook, and IE 8 and even Firefox was hacked in that hacking contest.

It was also 2 years ago.
  • Reply 63 of 117
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

It's not perfect? No shit, Sherlock.

If it was perfect the battery would last forever, the OS would out-think you, its power would be Christ-like and the price would be FREE. In fact it would have an app that lets you print dollars out the dock-connector slot. And another to help make every wish come true.

There's one almost as you specified, Aladdin's Lamp. It's magical. You get only three wishes though.

CGC
  • Reply 64 of 117
    Quote:

As for the cameras, they're fine in my opinion. They're for video chatting, not for taking high quality still pictures. If somebody is interested in taking real pictures, then use a real camera.

they are real bad... even if they are just for facetime. (I am assuming they are identical to what is on my iPod touch 4)

i don't want to replace my camera or anything, but i'd like to see/show a clear video to those i facetime with. it's terribly grainy, and impossible to show any detail at all.

yes, i'm glad the cameras are there. but it would be nice to see a significant improvement next time around.
  • Reply 65 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

It was also 2 years ago.

Wow. I knew I never should have replied to that troll. I won't be making that same mistake again.

• Reply 66 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

I'm debating whether to buy now or wait to see if the next generation incorporates a higher display resolution. The 1st Generation, IMHO, didn't render video all that great.

The cameras aren't a big deal to me; I take the occasional picture with my iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4 camera doesn't seem to shake out as well as I'd like anyway. The colors are especially off under fluorescent lighting to a degree I've not seen in any other camera or phone.

My main use of a phone camera is recording information, though I do take regular photos too.

Quote:

Well, being an old man, I'm used to waiting

And as my eyes aren't what they used to be, that whole "display" thing gets a little more important as you age. That's why I bought an iPhone 4; easier to see than an iPod Touch

How is iPhone 4 screen so different from iPod Touch? They have the same density. Is the lack of IPS really that noticeable?
  • Reply 67 of 117
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

I'm debating whether to buy now or wait to see if the next generation incorporates a higher display resolution. The 1st Generation, IMHO, didn't render video all that great.

The cameras aren't a big deal to me; I take the occasional picture with my iPhone 4.

I have a friend who loves her iPhone4 too.She has all sorts of older and newer computers at home but she tells me that she does more of her stuff using the iPhone, and seldom opens her computer anymore, except to look at old stored stuff.

I was surprised because she is much older already and has glasses that are very thick and she still literally had her eyes very close to the screen when she was using her old iMac way back in 2000. She has newer computers but would not part with her old iMac.

High resolution iPhone4

I do not have an iPhone4 so I sent her a large 1000x1333 lower resolution image with very fine prints, the fine prints barely visible in my new MacBookPro, when automatically reduced to 600x800. So, I was wondering if she can read them in her iPhone4 considering her poor eyesight.

The prints would just be like dots at 300x400 resize, but amazingly she said she was able to read it. I was skeptical so I asked her to read it back to me, and she actually could. I was astounded because even my new MacBook Pro cannot read the fine prints when the original size was reduced to the size of the iPhone screen -- that was why I sent her the large image to check.

That is the power of the high resolution iPhone4, as you stated.

Then, I asked her if she uses the "Retina" display which I thought was especially designed for her poor eyesight. I was surprised again when she stated that she does not use it at all, and found the partial zooming distracting.

Original iPad vs iPad2

You are correct that the screen resolution of the original iPad is not as crisp as it should be. But, then again, when I tried it with my website, it had to be resized down automatically a bit to be viewed on the iPad. I was surprised that it is still quite readable, even with the much smaller print.

I have not tried it yet, obviously, but the resolution of the new iPad is not much different than the original iPad. Before making any decision though, it is best to go to the Apple Store, or the Best Buy (in case you are not close to an Apple Store).

There are features in any Apple product that allows you to have default size specifically intended to meet the needs of those with sight impairment, a common issue with the elderly.

What makes the iPad more suitable for those with sight impairment is that because of the very much much larger screen of the iPad, even in a slightly zoomed format, the width of the iPad, even in portrait mode, is still such that it would be wider than those of the standard width of a column of multi-column newspapers. Thus, there's no need for too many left and right scrolling, even in portrait mode, using the iPad. In case that is still an issue, then you can opt for even much larger font sizes by changing the default settings (this is as opposed to temporal zooming) and use the landscape mode. I did not find any blurring of the print characters even at the highest zooming I tried. The still images may blur if the original image has low resolution.

This is where the larger screen size of the iPad much much useful than that of the screen size of the iPhone. and most advantageous for the elderly with degrading eyesight.

As to video, the iPad2 has double the RAM of the original iPad. so that it should run videos much faster. But you can find this out only when you have a chance to play with the new iPad2. I think that it is difficult to judge it simply from specification.

If after trying the new iPad2 and talking to Apple representatives (especially in the Apple Store), and you still find the iPad2 to be wanting, then by all means, it is worth your while to wait -- especially since you have the iPhone4 with a very high resolution. As I shared above, my friend, who may have a poorer eyesight than you, does almost all her inernet, emailing, banking transactions, Facebook stuff, etc. using her iPhone4. She even watches movies on it, and she told me she preferred it over the 36-inch screen TV that I left at her place, because she could watch in any position.

She is so happy with it, she was able to persuade many others to buy the iPhone. She is already thinking of upgrading to IPhone5. Her daughter who used to be mostly PC, now has an iPhone4 and the original iPad as well.

Not sure if there are subtle improvements, as the software is being upgraded, that may improve the speed even further. But, the fact that they can now run the likes of the revised iMovie indicates the subtle but significant improvements in the iPad2 that cannot be evaluated simply by looking at the specifications.

One-on-One

Finally, if there is an Apple Store near you, I would advise strongly to enroll into the One-on-One tuturial that hey offer for $99 per year. You can make an appointment for as often as you want, for as long as two hours a day, and set it so that the two hour appointment would explore any topic you want to address.

Just to put the true worth of this $99 per year customer service, in perspective, it cost:
    • $8.25 per month

• $1.9 per week

• 27 cents per day

For this service alone, which is unique in the Apple Ecosystem (not matched by any other competing ecosystems), I would remain loyal to Apple. The cost beats even a course in a community college for those who believe in continuing education. And, I bet no community college can offer such one-on-one attention to their students.

It was so popular that they had to make restrictions and offer it only now to those who buy their Apple products directly through the Apple store or the online Apple Store. [It cost a lot to offer one-one-one, even if the staff are paid $10 per hour, plus it would tie up too many of the expert staff.]

Many of those availing of the one-on-one service in the Boston stores are mostly adults who are well past their undergraduate years. I am touched with their seriousness, some coming with notebooks, and already prepared questions.

I wish Apple ties up with the likes of Best Buy to make this even more available to places without an Apple Store.

CGC
  • Reply 68 of 117
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:

I heard that there's a new copycat tablet coming out in 3-4 months. It will feature five 17 megapixel cameras, it will weigh 3 pounds, it will look like a brick and cost $1199. It will also crash at least 8 times per day and the battery life will be 4 hours (2 hours if you enable flash) and standby will be 35 minutes. Oh, and there will be 7 apps available for it.

At least you find yourself amusing.
  • Reply 69 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

yes, i'm glad the cameras are there. but it would be nice to see a significant improvement next time around.

I don't know much about the pricing of those kind of tiny cameras, I just wonder if Apple is going to be able to keep the same price while adding all these features that some people demand, such as a super hi resolution display, better cameras etc.

Apple has raised the prices for some of their product lines in the past, such as laptops, when they came out with significant new features. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the same people who insist on having many of these features will be the same people who complain when the features eventually do come, but the price is slightly higher.
  • Reply 70 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The iPhone 4 camera doesn't seem to shake out as well as I'd like anyway. The colors are especially off under fluorescent lighting to a degree I've not seen in any other camera or phone.

My main use of a phone camera is recording information, though I do take regular photos too.

How is iPhone 4 screen so different from iPod Touch? They have the same density. Is the lack of IPS really that noticeable?

It is if you have a mild form of Tunnel Vision

At least for me, the iPhone 4's screen really makes a difference. So much so that I've convinced many of my contemporaries to switch their cell phones

And you're right about the colors being "off" under fluorescent lighting. I wondered about that as we have switched everything in our home from incandescent and that explains the poorer quality of our indoor photographs.
  • Reply 71 of 117
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

You seem to know nothing about Operating Systems in general. I guess they ones you use don't need any RAM. Don't give me that crap that iOS is "Special" and manages its RAM differently. It still needs RAM and the more the better in my book. I've seen to many spinning beachballs / circles to know iOS runs out of memory.

I'm saying its not hard to design something this size with a minimum of 1GB of RAM. If a phone can hold it this hunk of plastic can. Apple just wants to wait till iPad3 so you will buy that also. Its their modus operandi to release very small incremental improvements so you will buy another one in 6mos to a year.

You post is full of factual errors that it is not worth a rational reply. You won't last long here if your goal is to troll.
  • Reply 72 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

At least you find yourself amusing.

I most certainly do. And what I find most amusing is reading comments by desperate fandroids and ridiculous haters on other sites. I'm literally cracking up when reading some of those comments. They're so angry and hateful, their heads are almost exploding. I'm enjoying this immensely.

• Reply 73 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Since this is a true fact of Android, that it runs in a Virtual Machine, basically a layer, emulator if you will, on top of the kernel... why is this point not common knowledge when comparing the specs of Android vs. iOS devices?

In order for Android to ever run as smooth and efficiently, it will always need double the spec's of an iOS device.

I also firmly believe that MS specifically, is actually waiting for quad-core ARM processors (which are coming) before jumping into the game.

Once again: look at the specs of the Xoom... and then look at the performance of those specs.

Now do the same with iPad2. See the difference? Which one is better? I believe it's a unanimous decision, the iPad2 does better with HALF the specs.

Also another point: Apple has always been concerned about the battery specs. IF they would have added 1gb RAM, what would have been the trade off in battery life-time? Anyone?

Here's my iPad3 specs:

Retina Display

iPhone 4 cameras

1 GB Ram

A6 Dual Core (no quad yet)

Battery-life: roughly the same as today with advances in battery-tech and optimization within the SoC.

I'm getting 2 iPad2s come the 25th here in Germany, regardless of my iPad3 spec-list.

The only thing Android has beaten a comparatively speced iDevice on is in JS engine speed. Which says a lot about Google?s V8 engine, but it?s by far the not the only engine or metric to concern oneself with in a browser, and the speeds, while better, aren?t so good that it makes up for the lackluster experience and speeds in the rest of the system.

Apple did change the battery life testing methods, so the new iPad may actually get a little better battery life than the first model. So far I?ve only seen two comparative reports of the battery life. One had details about it?s usage and the other simply said that it was a little less than the first. I?ll have to see more reports to get an idea compared to my current iPad.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    The 'its not perfect' line is such a cop-out when writing a review.

Has any electronic product in history garnered praise of being 'perfect'? Will any device in the future be 'perfect'? Has any PRODUCT or ANYTHING AT ALL in history been perfect? No, and there never will be, because that term means absolutely nothing. It's just a useless and lazy term to use when describing anything. 'It's not perfect, but it's pretty good'. Imagine reading a review stating that 'Yes, we finally have the perfect device'. What would it do, exude divine light? Cure diseases? Even if it did, people would find flaws in it. So come on reviews, find something else to say, it's insulting to the intelligence.
  • Reply 75 of 117
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

You'd have to feel sorry for Charlie. All those people making fun of him can f themselves. Here he's having a very public nervous break-down. Poor fellow. He's so deluded he's rejecting help offered to him by his family. This may not have a happy ending.

Yeah poor guy. He has more money than he knows what to do with, lives with 2 hot blondes and no doubt has a threesome every single night. Noone is forcing him to go on all these shows to advertise himself. Personally, I'm not so sure these 'breakdowns' are all that truthful- he seems to love the attention, and part of it is probably an act to see what he can get away with. There's alot of poor people in the world with miserable lives because of factors they have no control of. Charlie Sheen isn't one of them. I'm always blown away by how many people use of their pity on celebrities that have it all.
  • Reply 76 of 117
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I have a friend who loves her iPhone4 too...

Then, I asked her if she uses the "Retina" display which I thought was especially designed for her poor eyesight. I was surprised again when she stated that she does not use it at all, and found the partial zooming distracting.

CGC

Maybe I missed something or misunderstood what you meant, but how did your friend have an iPhone 4 and not use the retina display on it?
  • Reply 77 of 117
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:

desperate fandroids

Coming from someone with "apple" as their screen name.

• Reply 78 of 117
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Coming from someone with "apple" as their screen name.

It's not "Apple" it's "Apple ]["

They are two totally different things. Duh!
  • Reply 79 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The 'its not perfect' line is such a cop-out when writing a review.

Has any electronic product in history garnered praise of being 'perfect'? Will any device in the future be 'perfect'? Has any PRODUCT or ANYTHING AT ALL in history been perfect? No, and there never will be, because that term means absolutely nothing. It's just a useless and lazy term to use when describing anything. 'It's not perfect, but it's pretty good'. Imagine reading a review stating that 'Yes, we finally have the perfect device'. What would it do, exude divine light? Cure diseases? Even if it did, people would find flaws in it. So come on reviews, find something else to say, it's insulting to the intelligence.

This is probably over thinking it. It's probably preferable to "iPad very nice, but the camera bites". In other words, it's a tactful way of saying they think the camera is substandard.
  • Reply 80 of 117
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Also, the NAND memory in an iPad is many many more times faster than a PC hard drive, and has almost zero random access latency. Which makes paging to NAND fast enough to prefer it over keeping stuff in RAM as long as possible. Everything in iOS that deals with application and process management is built around this principle, where applications are either active, inactive in the background (RAM) or frozen to NAND by the OS, and every application is written in a way that going from background/RAM to frozen/NAND can happen automatically on request of the OS, so it can always free up all the RAM and make it available to the active application.

I thought there was no paging or virtual memory in iOS. I bolded the reference in your text.