Users report flickering issues with latest Apple TV software update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    The issues are almost certainly with people's individual TVs.

No issues on a 5 year old 32" Vizio. Before or After update. AppleTV works perfectly.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiefling View Post

I have a 2 year old Sony Bravia 1080p TV and I have had the flickering bug since the 4.1 update. My Apple TV 2 worked fine out of the store but as soon as it did it's first update I have this intermittent problem. I run it through a Sony DB3500 ES - This has recently been upgraded from a DB2400 ES which had the same problem so I know the receiver isn't the issue.

The original Apple TV (which I still have) never gave me any problems. I have had my Apple TV 2 replaced at the Apple store but the problem still doesn't go away. I've tried new cables and all sorts and the only answer I came to in the end was that the HDMI auto detection was flaky. I want the ability to turn it all off and configure the resolution and HDMI control elements manually. I think that, in trying to make this device simpler, Apple have gone too far with this one and made it unusable on some devices. The latest update now seems to have exacerbated the problem.

It's. Your. TV.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I contacted Apple Tech Support tonight, and they sent it up to engineering," user kag49601 wrote. "The tech I spoke with had not heard of the problem yet, but after reading this thread, I am surprised by that... Hopefully we will all get another update to this so we can use our apple tv 2's with our older TV's once again."

Unfortunately, at least in the early to mid stages of a problem, it's regular protocol for Apple's engineers to reply with, "I've never heard of that problem."

I had this experience both in Nov. and Dec. of 2010 and Jan. and Feb of 2011. There was (and still is) a wide-spread issue w/ graphics flickering, etc on the new Mac Pro's w/ either ATI 5870 or 5770.

They've sent me 1 replacement graphics card and 3 Mac Pros now. It's ridiculous. After getting to know the guy over a period of 4 months, he gradually admitted they were aware of the problem.

Anyways, I have an ATV2 as well, with a two year old Samsung 1080P and the update is fine. Must be the conversion on the older sets.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    removed snarky, stupid, childish retort. Sorry.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    I updated the software yesterday to use the MLB app and now it's unwatchable! It flickers like crazy. I called apple support and got the run around. They were no help and restored it (losing all my settings). It didn't help and I can't go back to the previous software version. Thanks Apple! Great testing with this release!

Bauers
  • Reply 26 of 63
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

What will happen is their TV will never suffer issues within the apple ecosystem and simply have apple tv built in.

"Within the apple ecosystem" being the keyphrase there. I can just imagine all of the HDMI issues an Apple Television would have with xBox 360s, PS3s, Blu-Ray players, Satellite and Cable boxes, etc.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's. Your. TV.

well then try some other input. no issues? Must be the apple tv.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I love seeing comments like this on that board. Makes me think yet again that they should dump it. Because statements that it is not read by Apple nor is it a place for official tech support, some folks still act like it is. I stopped counting the number of times i've seen some 'report' a problem and when asked the person said no they did go to an actual genus or at least call AppleCare. Then they wonder why it takes so long to get things fixed. this guy might be the first one to call Apple, instead of just griping on the board.

Nor do people get that Apple cant possibly test every single possibly before release. So yes sometimes folks like those with older equipment or less common equipment may have trouble. The software is what two days old. Give them an official report asap and they will get a fix out as quick as they can.

a guess would be that with $50 billion in the bank apple can buy a bunch of old TV's on ebay for their QA lab to test these things
  • Reply 29 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Nor do people get that Apple cant possibly test every single possibly before release. So yes sometimes folks like those with older equipment or less common equipment may have trouble. The software is what two days old. Give them an official report asap and they will get a fix out as quick as they can.

Yes, they do need to test against a wide range of HDTVs -- or provide a list of tested, compatible hardware they know will work with their device.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    You want new features? Jailbreak it:

http://seas0npass.com

But, if you hastily updated to the latest iOS ATV version, you have to wait now...
  • Reply 31 of 63

Well, guess I'll just have to switch to GoogleTV!

Let's see... GoogleTV:

-- supports HomeSharing - nope

-- supports AirPlay from iDevices - nope

-- supports AirPlay from Mac - nope

-- supports iDevice remote app - nope

-- supports MLB streaming - nope

-- supports NBA streaming - nope

-- comes with a practical remote - nope

-- costs less than $100 - nope

-- available anywhere???

Seriously, I had the problem when I first powered on the ATV after updating plugged into my Mac.

But the problem resolved itself -- 3 year old Sony Bravia 46".
  • Reply 32 of 63
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    So far no problems on our brand new LG 55" led tv. So far it's pretty great with the apple tv with the lastest update.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    No problems here. And for some reason wait times for Netflix are much shorter now. Not sure why an Apple TV firmware update would have improved that, but it's true. I sometimes had to wait until the screensaver had started, but not any more.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

"Within the apple ecosystem" being the keyphrase there. I can just imagine all of the HDMI issues an Apple Television would have with xBox 360s, PS3s, Blu-Ray players, Satellite and Cable boxes, etc.

Oh yea. I can just "imagine". Thats "technically" called FUD.

Suggestion: Try calling Google about your "issues" and see what great service you get. Wait I forgot. They don't have phone support. Oops.

Upgraded my Apple TV yesterday. Works as advertised. Plays my movies shot with my iPhone FLAWLESSLY. FYI watch your movies and photos thru the photo app NOT the camera - and double click the home button to pull up the favorites bar then finger scroll all the way to the right to activate your apple tv option.

My Atv is connected HDMI to my Pioneer AVR then to my Panasonic Projector. Those having flashing trouble is either HDMI handshake issue or a older HDMI cable that doesn't support the signal. Apple or any company for that matter is not liable or responsible for older technology. Stop crying. Btw my projector is 3 years old.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    dshandshan Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

Isn't it 4.3 rather than 4.2 as referenced 4 times in this article?

No, the new ATV 2 update shows up as v4.2, not 4.3. ATV versions have bee a release or so behind other iOS devices for a while now. Dunno why.

My 3 yr-old Panasonic, 720p LCD TV is having no flickering or other issues issue with the ATV 2 running iOS 4.2.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Apple seems to have more HDMI trouble than any other manufacturer. Let us hope they never build a television.

WTF? Blame APPLE for HDMI issues????

The HDMI standard is the biggest pile of... ever put on consumers yet. Your probably one of those glubs that pays $100 for a HDMI 6 footer at Best Buy "believing" it will make for a great picture... I've had TONS of handshake issues with HDMI way before Apple TV came to market. Get real and load up on facts rather than other substances .

Gawd, Apple is now liable for HDMI? What the
  • Reply 37 of 63
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I must be doing something wrong.

I never have issues after updates.

Got 1080p Samsung. 4 years old.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever had the "issues" that "some experience" after a new version of anything. What am I doing wrong?
  • Reply 38 of 63
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

No problems here. And for some reason wait times for Netflix are much shorter now. Not sure why an Apple TV firmware update would have improved that, but it's true. I sometimes had to wait until the screensaver had started, but not any more.

Funny that Apple is responsible for slow load times and people line up on sites like this to pontificate against Apple for what is CLEARLY a ISP or router or modem issue. At my place I've got Att Uverse at 18 mps and my Apple TV movies play perfectly. If it did hiccup I'd know it's a Att issue for sure.

Word to the wise - you are NOT going to get fast load times from ISP connections under 10 mps period. FYI if you are on Uverse - your TV's SHARE the bandwidth with your Internet speed which causes ALL KINDS of download issues. Not to mention that Uverse interface, I HATE to say it, is a Microsoft product Doh!

Ever heard of Sync in your Ford car? Try the iPhone with that system . Another microsoft invention.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    OMFG - Just got a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Nice car but Sync is a piece of crap.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Ever heard of Sync in your Ford car? Try the iPhone with that system . Another microsoft invention.

• Reply 40 of 63
    OMFG -- what a BORING CAR!

Camaro ZL1 next year -- now THAT'S A CAR!

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-family/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unmitigated Audacity View Post

OMFG - Just got a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Nice car but Sync is a piece of crap.