Firefox (3.6.15) search engine only 1 'choice'?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can't find a way in Firefox 3.6.15 to change the preset search engine – in the top right of the browser window – from Bing to Google Search, or Yahoo Search (let alone to my fav: ixquick). In Safari's Preferences you can at least choose either Google, Yahoo, or Bing. But not in Firefox 3.6.15, as far as I can see.

Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Well, apparently not.

So it looks like Firefox sold out to Micro$oft.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Can't find a way in Firefox 3.6.15 to change the preset search engine ? in the top right of the browser window ? from Bing to Google Search, or Yahoo Search (let alone to my fav: ixquick). In Safari's Preferences you can at least choose either Google, Yahoo, or Bing. But not in Firefox 3.6.15, as far as I can see.

Or am I missing something?

In my 3.6.15 there is a Manage Search Engines? item at the bottom of the list.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bactalitunc View Post

This only proved that Bing is doing well to be more competitive. They continuously doing more and more improvement in order to improve their search engine popularity ranking. Imagine, yahoo was down to #3 spot that easy.

In my installation of Firefox 3.6.15, the search engines are listed in the following order:
    1. Google

2. Yahoo

3. Amazon.com

4. Answers.com

5. Creative Commons

6. The Free Dictionary

7. Webster

8. Wikipedia (EN)

9. eBay

10. Wikipedia (en)

BING is not even listed. I have the ability to add search engines that are not listed and the ability delete those that are listed. I am in no way chained to BING.

What am I doing wrong?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

In my 3.6.15 there is a Manage Search Engines? item at the bottom of the list.

At the bottom of what list? I don't see a 'Manage Search Engines' item in the Preferences of 3.6.15...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

At the bottom of what list? I don't see a 'Manage Search Engines' item in the Preferences of 3.6.15...

Look more closely.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I even put my glasses on for a change. Still no 'Manage Search Engines'.

Would you care to post a screenshot?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

I even put my glasses on for a change. Still no 'Manage Search Engines'.

Would you care to post a screenshot?

Never mind. Found it. But NOT in the preferences!