First look: Apple's new GarageBand for iPad, updated iMovie for iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I think these two apps finally show the advantage of the larger screen is more than just a luxury; it transforms what the user is capable of doing with multitouch.

I totally agree with you. Steve Jobs is proven right yet again about the form factor and the screen size. See how both apps perfectly fit the screen size of the iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 55

Tomorrow (Lord willin') we will be a all-iPad household.

I just bought a $529 refurb 64GB Wifi for my second grandson (he's giving his (same model) to the other grandson).

My daughter gets my 64GB WiFi+3G.

My granddaughter saved for a new 64GB WiFi 1Pad 2.

I will get a 64GB WiFi+3G iPad 2.

... we will pay a little extra to be sure each iPad has a good set of earphones... necessity!

• Reply 23 of 55
    ipedroipedro Posts: 63member
    Does Garageband allow to plug in a Piano? I recall that iOS 4.2 introduced coreMIDI which allowed a MIDI piano to be plugged in via the USB dock adapter to be used by Apps that are programmed to take advantage of that, but I haven't seen anywhere mention that Garageband allows it.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    carymgcarymg Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

These will create a whole wave of ideas from developers very soon ....

Not to mention the renewed interest in similar devlopment for BBW/Android/WebOS/WP7 tablets, too !!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

Sometimes I just crack myself up ....
  • Reply 25 of 55
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member
    Can you export the "Project" back to your Mac?

Or just a finished movie...

Also, the iPhone 4 uses the same A4 chip that iPad 1 uses - so there's no excuse for iMovie to not work on an iPad 1. (obviously except for recording video)
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Not to mention the renewed interest in similar devlopment for BBW/Android/WebOS/WP7 tablets, too !!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

Sometimes I just crack myself up ....

• Reply 27 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

Can you export the "Project" back to your Mac?

Or just a finished movie...

Also, the iPhone 4 uses the same A4 chip that iPad 1 uses - so there's no excuse for iMovie to not work on an iPad 1. (obviously except for recording video)

This is just conjecture, but you can import GarageBand projects from your computer to the iPad's version, so I would assume you can do the same the other way.

Leading me to believe the same is true of iMovie projects, but we'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Tomorrow (Lord willin') we will be a all-iPad household.

I just bought a $529 refurb 64GB Wifi for my second grandson (he's giving his (same model) to the other grandson).

My daughter gets my 64GB WiFi+3G.

My granddaughter saved for a new 64GB WiFi 1Pad 2.

I will get a 64GB WiFi+3G iPad 2.

... we will pay a little extra to be sure each iPad has a good set of earphones... necessity!

Nice! I picture you and your family jamming all thru the night. So good jamming to you.

I will still have to wait for the rollout of the iPad2 in our country. But what's nice, I can tryout GarageBand allready on the iPad1. I really didn't expect this to be possible. (I hoped so of course)
  • Reply 29 of 55
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Sure, it is quite a deal! Can't get any better than that.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... iMovie for iOS (iTunes link) is a $4.99 application that is compatible with the iPad 2, iPhone 4, or fourth-generation iPod touch. Earlier devices are not supported. ...

You also have to have iOS 4.3 installed before you can download it. Which I think is the first time they've ever done that.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Man, you'll be able to shoot your own movie, add your own soundtracks, titles, effects -- render and publish ...

...this is the new Prosumer solution of the year.

... Now, if it only ran a proper OS and only could be used to create content.

• Reply 32 of 55
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One new addition to iMovie is a CNN iReport theme for movies. The addition makes it easy for users to format their content in a style that fits with the 24-hour news channel.

Excellent! It has a 'Tell a lie' button! Or is it a slider?
  • Reply 33 of 55
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There is mic in as part of the earphone jack.

Oh yeah huh haha.

But is it possible to connect an external mic with an adapter?
  • Reply 34 of 55
    The thing that impressed me the most at the event was the Garage Band demonstration. As a former musician I can see that the technology in this program is awesome. A person with talent could create professional music with this.

I need to know how to get my Flip video camera movies into the iPad 2 and edit them. I don't need an iPad but I want to get one. Once I get my Ubuntu 10.04 working in all areas I'll sell my Mac Book and just use iTunes in Vista. I don't have much use for Vista but iTunes would be one of the three programs that require a Windows environment.

Can I live without my Mac? I think I can. It is mostly used for surfing the web, editing movies, and watching internet TV. One thing it does that I don't know how to do in Ubuntu yet is control my HP printer/scanner. There are many resolution controls with the HP software that I don't think will work with Linux. Maybe that'll be another thing I'll leave up to Vista.

Could you live without a Mac and have an iPad as your only Apple device? I'm talking about computing devices not phones or iPods (even though they are tiny computers too).
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Is there a way to use a mic/connect a mic on the iPad ? Like how you can connect a guitar to the iPad with an adapter.

I'm hoping for the same thing. There is a plug in mic for the iPhone, but I'd like some way to have the iPad on the table in front of me with a mic (preferably two) in front of the sound (musician, speaker, river).

Some company is bound to come out with something soon.

I hope.

Please.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    A little bit of searching and I found a mic that the maker says will be available soon.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/mike.php
  • Reply 38 of 55
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Love the app. My son had fun with it today. What I find interesting is that the app only works in landscape mode. This violates Apple own HIG and app store rule. The first ipad app I have submitted for approval last year was rejected because it didn't provide the same functionality in when held in landscape. It was approved once this was corrected.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I think these two apps finally show the advantage of the larger screen is more than just a luxury; it transforms what the user is capable of doing with multitouch.

Not only do these apps showcase what can be done with touch, they begin to bring to fruition Apple's vision of a device that disappears into the app.

The iPad is, for all intents and purposes, a screen. The changes to the iPad 2 increase the sense of almost no hardware behind that front surface. Each application is then free to create whatever environment is required to transform the iPad into a device entirely for that task.

With GarageBand, Apple has transformed the iPad into a number of musical instruments, a mixing and editing console and multitrack audio recorder. When the iPad is running the guitar app, it's a virtual guitar device. Not a computer running a virtual guitar program, but that device, entire.

I think this is another point of differentiation between the iPad and the competition. With Honeycomb, Google seems to be interested in making tablets more desktop computer like, with lots of persistent system cruft and and an emphasis on flashy app switching and desktop behaviors. Apple has a different idea about tablets, that they are properly chimera-- that the combination of being basically all screen and a touch interface allows the iPad to become entirely different things in succession, not one thing running a number of apps within a computer context.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    me2me2 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Is there a way to use a mic/connect a mic on the iPad ? Like how you can connect a guitar to the iPad with an adapter.

I know of four alternatives, and I'm sure there will be many more. Here they are:

1. For Vocals, IK Multimedia, iRIG Mic, http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmic/features/

2. For Guitar, IK Multimedia iRig, http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/features/

3. For Vocals and Guitar, Sonoma Wireworks, Guitar Jack http://sonomawireworks.com/products.php#guitarjack

4. For vocals, guitar, and midi, Alesis, IO Dock http://alesis.com/iodock

The IO Dock looks to be the most comprehensive. Street price is projected to be $199.