AirPlay in iOS 4.3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
It seems that the full roll-out of AirPlay in apps isn't aging much attention. In my opinion, this is a hugely significant milestone in the evolution of entertainment.

The ability to easily sling content onto a big screen seems like the future. iPads and iPhones become the worlds best remote for our big screen TVs. This will make cable tv channel surfing seem like the dark ages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It seems that the full roll-out of AirPlay in apps isn't aging much attention. In my opinion, this is a hugely significant milestone in the evolution of entertainment.

The ability to easily sling content onto a big screen seems like the future. iPads and iPhones become the worlds best remote for our big screen TVs. This will make cable tv channel surfing seem like the dark ages.

Thanks for such a nice thread.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    lol. Thanks for registering to keep me company in here.

Apparently nobody is interested in AirPlay yet. My prediction is that it will become one of the most popular and useful features of phones and tablets. But because so few people have an AirPlay enabled box hooked up to there tv or stereo, they are not yet interested in the ability.

Third party AirPlay enabled devices are just now coming to market in significant numbers. I hope it becomes ubiquitous soon, both at home and in automobiles. Once the functionality is built into all of our electronic devices, it will be hard to imagine life without it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

lol. Thanks for registering to keep me company in here.

Apparently nobody is interested in AirPlay yet. My prediction is that it will become one of the most popular and useful features of phones and tablets. But because so few people have an AirPlay enabled box hooked up to there tv or stereo, they are not yet interested in the ability.

Third party AirPlay enabled devices are just now coming to market in significant numbers. I hope it becomes ubiquitous soon, both at home and in automobiles. Once the functionality is built into all of our electronic devices, it will be hard to imagine life without it.

I'm waiting for airplay speakers. I've been wanting them since airplay was introduced. I love the idea of being able to stream my iTunes library of songs to any speakers I have in the house without having to get an airport express to do so.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I recently installed an appleTV2 in our workout room...

Previously, I had to dock the phone in order to play music or video. This wasn't so bad, but it did discourage playing things on whim. Between reps, it wasn't convenient to go over and choose something new. The phone either had to be undocked and redocked, or it had to be used while in the dock. Neither was incredibly convenient.

Now the phone remains in my pocket. Between reps or exercises, I find myself switching to something new to listen to. Sometimes it's howard on sirius radio, sometimes its local news on tuneIn radio, or iPod music, or remote app music, or podcasts, or pandora, or netflix... the list could go on.

Now you may be thinking, whatever, we can already play all of that via a dock or various other solutions. That's quite true. And I could in the past as well. The thing was, the effort wasn't worth it. I tended to choose one thing and stick with it, not just for the entire workout session, but also in the long term.

AirPlay has seriously increased the variety of audio I listen to. The same is bound to happen with video as well. I am excited to see how this unfolds.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

I recently installed an appleTV2 in our workout room...

Previously, I had to dock the phone in order to play music or video. This wasn't so bad, but it did discourage playing things on whim. Between reps, it wasn't convenient to go over and choose something new. The phone either had to be undocked and redocked, or it had to be used while in the dock. Neither was incredibly convenient.

Now the phone remains in my pocket. Between reps or exercises, I find myself switching to something new to listen to. Sometimes it's howard on sirius radio, sometimes its local news on tuneIn radio, or iPod music, or remote app music, or podcasts, or pandora, or netflix... the list could go on.

Now you may be thinking, whatever, we can already play all of that via a dock or various other solutions. That's quite true. And I could in the past as well. The thing was, the effort wasn't worth it. I tended to choose one thing and stick with it, not just for the entire workout session, but also in the long term.

AirPlay has seriously increased the variety of audio I listen to. The same is bound to happen with video as well. I am excited to see how this unfolds.

When are we going to see some airplay speakers?

I saw this at Apple's website but I don't think its an airplay product. The people who've bought these report configuration issues setting up the wi-fi functionality on them and that tells me it isn't airplay because airplay doesn't require configuration, right?

I'm ready just waiting for products to show up.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm waiting for airplay speakers. I've been wanting them since airplay was introduced. I love the idea of being able to stream my iTunes library of songs to any speakers I have in the house without having to get an airport express to do so.

I bet you anything you'll get better sound from an Apple TV and a $50 pair of powered speakers than you would get from a $150 pair of airplay speakers. There's no reason to wait.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

I saw this at Apple's website but I don't think its an airplay product. The people who've bought these report configuration issues setting up the wi-fi functionality on them and that tells me it isn't airplay because airplay doesn't require configuration, right?

For $2000 you can hook up an AppleTV to an amazing set of speakers. If you prefer style over substance, you could always go with B&O.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I bet you anything you'll get better sound from an Apple TV and a $50 pair of powered speakers than you would get from a $150 pair of airplay speakers. There's no reason to wait.

I may breakdown and just get AP express. But I hate having to get an extra thingy when Airplay seems to promise that this would be unnecessary.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    My preference is to have the functionality in a separate box for now. Because the technology is so new, we can expect it to evolve over the next few years before maturing into a static standard.

The appleTV or APE is so small that you could Velcro it to the back of a speaker...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

AirPlay works over your LAN, be it wired or WiFi. So connecting your AirPlay speakers to your LAN is a must. After that (assuming your AirPlay speakers already have AirPlay enabled) it is just a matter of selecting the speakers form iTunes or your IOS device.