Users report flickering issues with latest Apple TV software update

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 63
    Another good reason to JB it, save your SHSH in TinyUmbrella, and have the option of rolling back if an update is broken.



    The first reason is to put XBMC on it.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post


    OMFG -- what a BORING CAR!



    Camaro ZL1 next year -- now THAT'S A CAR!



    http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-family/



    It's beautiful



    I prefer Camaros than any other car, I just simply love it.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unmitigated Audacity View Post


    OMFG - Just got a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Nice car but Sync is a piece of crap.



    BTW, Sync is by Microsoft.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post


    OMFG -- what a BORING CAR!



    Camaro ZL1 next year -- now THAT'S A CAR!



    http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-family/



    Nice looking, how many mpg does it get?

    Any car can get you a speeding ticket going to the grocery store (well, maybe not a LEAF), but some just seem to be speeding magnets. I've gotten no tickets since "downgrading" from my previous sports car 5 years ago.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,687member
    Hm - I've got a hitachi CRT rear projection TV - no problems with it.



    Then again, since it uses CRTs it can display 720i, 720p and 1080i all natively



    It may be big, but at least I get native resolution without scaling and true blacks when I watch movies.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unmitigated Audacity View Post


    OMFG - Just got a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Nice car but Sync is a piece of crap.



    Why? Seems to work just fine.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    sound on mine is a bit bonky for music streaming. SEems to cut in and out a bit. Not completely. It just goes kind of soft and then seems to go up in volume at odd times. Almost like Chuckie is in the closet with the remote playing tricks on me.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Yup no problem here on a year old Samsung Plasma. Apple TV updated, works perfectly!
  • Reply 49 of 63
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    When I bought my ATV2 a couple of months ago I was surprised to find out that I had to buy my own USB cable. Wasn't exactly the easiest cable to find either. Of all the electronics stores here in Japan I had only two choices. Yodobashi Camera and Amazon Japan. Other smaller retailers don't carry it because it's not so common for the average consumer to use that micro USB type.



    So that means the millions of people who bought an ATV2 bought their own micro USB cable. Interesting.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member
    omg finally, i am playing mkv's into the apple TV with AirVideo, it works!!!!



    you can now play anything on the Apple TV and BYPASS itunes

    Just download the AirVideo app on the app store, new version for iOS 4.3 and you will also need the beta version of the server on your PC/MAC. Just download it on there website
  • Reply 51 of 63
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    When I bought my ATV2 a couple of months ago I was surprised to find out that I had to buy my own USB cable. Wasn't exactly the easiest cable to find either. Of all the electronics stores here in Japan I had only two choices. Yodobashi Camera and Amazon Japan. Other smaller retailers don't carry it because it's not so common for the average consumer to use that micro USB type.



    So that means the millions of people who bought an ATV2 bought their own micro USB cable. Interesting.



    I've got tons of them, from Bluetooth headsets, phones and other things that come with micro USB cables and home/car chargers with USB ports.



    My TV has messed up again HDMI to DVI is the culprit, half the screen disappears off the bottom, so can't see the bottom menu items, six year old Hitachi 55" plasma.



    I'll try direct HDMI with a new 42" plasma I'll start using when I move into my new house in a few weeks.



    HDMI issues are caused by all that DRM bulls**t that media companies insist on, which is absolutely worthless as regards stopping piracy but consumer hell when it won't work properly.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    When I bought my ATV2 a couple of months ago I was surprised to find out that I had to buy my own USB cable. Wasn't exactly the easiest cable to find either. Of all the electronics stores here in Japan I had only two choices. Yodobashi Camera and Amazon Japan.



    Amazon has retail storefronts in Japan?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    So that means the millions of people who bought an ATV2 bought their own micro USB cable. Interesting.



    I did my upgrade from the ATV2 directly from Apple via my 802.11n network. That said, I have a half-dozen USB->microUSB cables around here from music gear, camera stuff, even my craptacular WinMo65 phone from work.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    Apple TV with latest update

    + (HDMI to HDMI)

    Sharp AQUOS Quattron 52" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Best TV ever! :P)

    =

    No flickering whatsoever so far.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Amazon has retail storefronts in Japan?



    Amazon.co.jp. Do you have storefronts where you are?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    I did my upgrade from the ATV2 directly from Apple via my 802.11n network. That said, I have a half-dozen USB->microUSB cables around here from music gear, camera stuff, even my craptacular WinMo65 phone from work.



    This is the first time I've ever needed a micro USB cable even with all my gadgets. There are actually two flavors of micro USB cables with different shapes. One that is more in the shape of a square (many cameras have them) and the flatter kind that the ATV2 uses. Maybe it's just this flatter one I haven't seen.



    EDIT: Nvrmd got it.







    .
  • Reply 55 of 63
    No problems here. Other then the two new tabs for MLB and NBA I can't tell anything is different.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    When I bought my ATV2 a couple of months ago I was surprised to find out that I had to buy my own USB cable. Wasn't exactly the easiest cable to find either. Of all the electronics stores here in Japan I had only two choices. Yodobashi Camera and Amazon Japan. Other smaller retailers don't carry it because it's not so common for the average consumer to use that micro USB type.



    So that means the millions of people who bought an ATV2 bought their own micro USB cable. Interesting.



    Absolutely nobody needs the micro USB cable. All updates to AppleTV are done wirelessly.



    Unless you were a developer and need beta OS on AppleTV, or want to jailbreak it, you have no need of the micro USB cable.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


    omg finally, i am playing mkv's into the apple TV with AirVideo, it works!!!!



    you can now play anything on the Apple TV and BYPASS itunes

    Just download the AirVideo app on the app store, new version for iOS 4.3 and you will also need the beta version of the server on your PC/MAC. Just download it on there website



    It's pretty great. I was doing this six months ago with thanks to jail breaking, but it's great that it's now public.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    I have an old 55" Sony Grand Vega with 1080i and just upgraded the firmware with no issues at all. I use an Extreme Mac HDMI switcher since the Sony TV only has one HDMI input. So, I do not know what to tell everyone but that my Apple TV 2 is working just fine.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post


    Absolutely nobody needs the micro USB cable. All updates to AppleTV are done wirelessly.



    Unless you were a developer and need beta OS on AppleTV, or want to jailbreak it, you have no need of the micro USB cable.



    Either way works.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    [QUOTE=Ohcomeon;1826007]I have a two-year-old 63" Samsung Plasma and haven't noticed any issues with flickering.



    Sounds like I have the same TV. Any good reason to try the update?
Sign In or Register to comment.