Alleged engineering sketches show Apple's iPhone 5 with edge-to-edge screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New pictures claimed to be "mold engineering drawings" of Apple's anticipated iPhone 5 shows the alleged next-generation handset with the same form factor as the iPhone 4, but with a slightly larger edge-to-edge display.

The images from iDealsChina are rumored to be used by engineers to create cases to sell for the iPhone 5. Of late, third-party cases for devices like the iPhone and iPad have offered hints at the design of unannounced products.

"A while back we [heard] rumors that [the] iPhone 5 would have a curved back," the site reads, "but these images show iPhone 5 with the same form factor as iPhone 4 but with an edge to edge screen."

The rest of the case shows the design of the alleged iPhone 5 largely unchanged from the iPhone 4. If accurate, that would dispel a recent rumor that Apple plans to ditch the glass back and opt for an aluminum backing.

The designs also support a separate rumor from the Far East that Apple will expand the screen size of its next-generation handset. While the iPhone 4 sports a 3.5-inch display with a resolution of 960 by 640 pixels, some designs have shown a potential 4-inch screen squeezed onto an iPhone with the same size.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Larger screen with same resolution would be cool and easy to implement. I do love the current design. But after seeing some of the recent rumored sketches of iPhone 5 with a liquid metal back in a shape similar to iPad2 I started to get really excited for that implementation.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    mobilememobileme Posts: 288member
    hmmmmmm.....ahhhhhhhh.....yeaaaaaaa... NOT likely....

New Screen size = Re-written apps to accommodate that new screen. The current apps on the app store are still trying to upgrade to retina display.

If that is the case then we know the iPod Touch will get a bigger screen too.

I think its just a dream
  • Reply 3 of 52
    its not that much larger...
  • Reply 4 of 52
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Apple does not share pre-release product design information with case manufacturers. They have to wait like the rest of us.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    kfury77kfury77 Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

hmmmmmm.....ahhhhhhhh.....yeaaaaaaa... NOT likely....

New Screen size = Re-written apps to accommodate that new screen. The current apps on the app store are still trying to upgrade to retina display.

If that is the case then we know the iPod Touch will get a bigger screen too.

I think its just a dream

It would be a larger screen with the same resolution. No apps will need to re-written. I expect the iPhone 5 to be like this engineering drawing, it's not just a dream.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    elbelb Posts: 6member
    Did it ever occur to anyone that instead of a larger screen, they simply made the iPhone 5 narrower than the iPhone 4? The screen could be exactly the same- only the body would shrink. I can't see making those few mm wider really having much an effect on screen real estate, but it would make a big difference if the phone where narrower.

Just sayin'...
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Would it still be a "retina display" if the ppi goes down from making the screen bigger?
  • Reply 8 of 52
    mike11mike11 Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

Would it still be a "retina display" if the ppi goes down from making the screen bigger?

The iPhone 5 sketch seems to have approximately a 3.7" screen. And Apple could go up to 3.845" and maintain the "retina" display (300ppi or more).

http://www.macstories.net/news/alleg...bigger-screen/

IMHO based on these rumors a ~3.8" "retina" display with the same resolution (960x640) and the same overall handset dimensions seems like the safest bet so far.

Even though I would like to see Apple change the aspect ratio of the display (longer, but same width to maintain at least easy 1:1 pixel backwards compatibility) or up the resolution (in combination with a >4" display), I don't think that's in the cards just one year after the introduction of the retina display (keep in mind that not all apps support the retina display resolution yet).
  • Reply 9 of 52
    A screen size change via edge to edge in the same body style just doesn't excite me much. New or improved features is where it is at. And, when will we have a new iPhone?

• Reply 10 of 52
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    There is some market pressure on Apple from Android phones with slightly larger screens, up to 4". Yet I keep looking at those and thinking that I don't want to stuff them in my pocket.

If I were Apple?and let it be noted that they have not been beating a path to my door for sage advice?I don't think I'd be seeing a need for a physically smaller faceplate on the iPhone5. After all, the iPhone4 is already the most compact smartphone on the market. And a smaller iPhone5 would also mean less room inside for the guts, and especially for the battery.

On the other hand expanding the usable screen size, while keeping the same pixel count and within similar faceplate dimensions, seem like a no-brainer as long as it's able to be manufactured. The screen gets a bit bigger and easier to see or type on?what's not to like? Incremental change, but in a good direction.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd love a rounded aluminum design more akin to iPad 2. With metal buttons.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    I’d be happy if it would sync *all* the contact info from my AddressBook! For example, I keep the names of students’ parents in my Mac’s address book. We’re up to IOS 4.3 and it still doesn't sync this information to the iPhone. [Face-palm.]
  • Reply 13 of 52
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd love a rounded aluminum design more akin to iPad 2. With metal buttons.

Agree, the only thing I hate about my iphone 4 is how the square shape feels in the hand.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    A broadly curved back is a bad idea in my opinion, when you set it on a desk, tapping on controls will make the screen wobble. With the curved back, you need the second hand to hold it steady. Some curve to make it easy on the hands when held would be nice. It looks like the iPad 2 balances both needs reasonably well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

It would be a larger screen with the same resolution. No apps will need to re-written.

I agree. It seems interesting and I don't think the devs need to do anything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

The difference is marginal. It's close enough to 300ppi that most people won't notice but might have better usability with buttons having a little more space.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Yet another unsubstantiated leak simply to keep people talking about Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheeles View Post

Yet another unsubstantiated leak simply to keep people talking about Apple.

This is a rumor site... that's kind of the point, isn't it?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    That's more realistic and more plausible.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Analyzing the first picture we can calculate that the screen aspect ratio is different from all the iPhones coming from Apple (1.57 vs 1.5). It might seem a small difference but it is still bigger than any possible error in image analysis, and would imply something like 1000-by-640 resolution vs the current 960-by-640. Considering Apple?s history it is highly unlikely that they would change the aspect ratio of the iPhone screen, so it seems to me that this is probably a fake!
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I?d be happy if it would sync *all* the contact info from my AddressBook! For example, I keep the names of students? parents in my Mac?s address book. We?re up to IOS 4.3 and it still doesn't sync this information to the iPhone. [Face-palm.]

Sounds like you have something setup wrong in iTunes.

Personally, I use MobileMe, and never have to think about it. I make a change in one place, and it eventually gets to the other. This works across my Mac, iPad, and iPhone, and keeps iCal, Address Book, Safari Bookmarks, & Notes in sync.

The only issue I had with this was when I received my first iPhone, I had sync setup in iTunes, and also via MobileMe. I ended up with two of everything. I now sync only via MobileMe.

As far as the next iPhone is concerned, I am happy with the size as it is. I would be interested in a scratch-proof metal back, and would like to see the antenna issue fixed. Even with a case, I notice some internet-based games have problems if I hold the phone the wrong way. Oh, and 64GB Flash, so I can load my whole music library. I never want to think about what I am going to listen to BEFORE I leave home. I want to decide on the fly.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I?d be happy if it would sync *all* the contact info from my AddressBook! For example, I keep the names of students? parents in my Mac?s address book. We?re up to IOS 4.3 and it still doesn't sync this information to the iPhone. [Face-palm.]

Are you sure you don't have this unchecked? All my contacts synced the first time I synced my iPhone, but I use mobileme now anyway.