Online iPad 2 orders from Apple estimated to ship in 5-7 business days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Does anyone know if you can use an iPhone to connect an iPad using personal hotspot or vice versa?
  • Reply 22 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheeles View Post

To my mind, all this says is that sales of the iPhone on Verizon were nowhere near expectations.

Those reports were just rumors and speculations though. Nobody knows for sure the exact amount that was sold.

We do know for a fact that it sold more during launch than any other product in Verizon's history.

Verizon Wireless sold more iPhone 4s during its initial launch than any other product in the carrier's history, said Chief Executive Daniel S. Mead.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1GIoSrdPM
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Does anyone know if you can use an iPhone to connect an iPad using personal hotspot or vice versa?

Yes you can. Its just another WiFI network when you turn on Personal Hotspot.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    mrpogemrpoge Posts: 9member
    I placed my order online at 7:40 Eastern, and my ship time is 5 - 7 days.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Christ, I woke up at 3:00am for this. It changed from 3-5 days to one week while it was in my shopping cart. From the looks of it, a lot of people were ordering. But Apple's online store seemed to be responsive, unlike when the iPhone 4 launched, and Apple's servers had to wait on AT&T's servers to approve each buyer...that was disaster. Now I know AT&T is incompetent.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Those reports were just rumors and speculations though. Nobody knows for sure the exact amount that was sold.

We do know for a fact that it sold more during launch than any other product in Verizon's history.

Verizon Wireless sold more iPhone 4s during its initial launch than any other product in the carrier's history, said Chief Executive Daniel S. Mead.

No other product has been hyped to the extent that the iPhone has in Verizon's history, either.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    mrpogemrpoge Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Yes, you can use the personal hotspot feature in your iPhone 4 to connect an iPad via WiFi. But, you cannot reverse the operation. The iPad cannot operate as a personal hotspot at this time.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:

depends on your mobile service provider (O2, etc.) but, generally, yes - an iPhone's hotspot will work for an iPad. But vice versa is no - no hotspot function on an iPad to create a wifi field for an iPhone.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    I just woke up in front of the Apple Store in Palo Alto. There was a Russian girl here offering $300 for anyone willing to wait in line for her. She *needed* 16 iPads. I couldn't help because I'm buying one for myself and one for my girlfriend (there's a limit of 2 per person).

5pm...5pm...5pm...
  • Reply 30 of 70
    docpopsdocpops Posts: 12member
    I ordered a 32G wifi only at 0515 Pacific Time, engraved. Ships in 5-7 days. Unfortunately, my red leather cover won't be here until March 31. Maybe this is an "underpromise/overdeliver" strategy. I hope.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cambangst View Post

I stopped by my local Wal-martian landing zone on my way to work, at about ten 'til eight. There was nobody working in electronics, but I could see iPad boxes behind the counter. There was also a sign on the counter stating that they were going on sale at 5:00 PM.

I found some guy stocking diapers 3 aisles over and asked him whether he could sell me an iPad. He moseyed back to electronics and fumbled through his keys and finally found the one for the cabinet. He asked me which one I wanted. Even invited me behind the counter to choose because he had no clue. They had 4 new ones on hand: 2 Wi-fi and 2 AT&T.

I picked the 32 GB Wi-fi and that's when it all came apart. He tried to scan the UPC. No dice. Tried 3 more times. Same result. He picked up the phone and called the manager on duty. I could only hear one side of the conversation, but I surmise that the other side went something like, "do you know how to read that sign on the counter, moron?"

"Sorry, sir, you can't buy this until 5:00."

So I guess I'm waiting for my online order to ship...

I applaud you for your humility in posting the story of your moronic-ness...
  • Reply 32 of 70
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    2-3 week?! Jesus! This is why you go to the nearest apple store and a wait in line with the rest of the masses to make sure you get it on launch date.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I just woke up in front of the Apple Store in Palo Alto. There was a Russian girl here offering $300 for anyone willing to wait in line for her. She *needed* 16 iPads. I couldn't help because I'm buying one for myself and one for my girlfriend (there's a limit of 2 per person).

5pm...5pm...5pm...

So you camped out in front of the store? AWESOME! Live post from a guy in line! Or do you mean you just live across the street?

That Russian girl is gonna need to spend $2400 because she'll need to buy off 8 people at 2 unit per person limit. LOL.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Weird - mine said 5-7 days when I got up at 3:00 to place my order. it also said 5-7 days in the confirmation email. Unfortunately, in my fog, I ordered the wrong model, so I ordered another one and canceled the prior one. That one said 2-3 weeks when I purchased; the confirmation email got unusually specific, however: ship date April 1. Not "2-3 weeks" or the usual range of dates.

In any event, since that means delivery is anticipated on April 8, I'm going to see if I can snag one from the local Apple store this evening... then cancel online, letting someone else get their online order a bit sooner, too!
  • Reply 35 of 70
    For one of two cases ( Green poly) Ordered orange as well but that is a day behind apparently. Ordered two IPAD WIFI 16GB and 32GB Black at 4:00 AM (ridiculous) and shipping was 3 -5 days
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also read that Apple stores are selling more Verizon phones than ATT phones. Is it lackluster for Apple to merely double their sales volume in the US? I'm pretty sure everyone is happy. It all depends on how you spin the news...
  • Reply 37 of 70
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

So you camped out in front of the store? AWESOME! Live post from a guy in line! Or do you mean you just live across the street?

That Russian girl is gonna need to spend $2400 because she'll need to buy off 8 people at 2 unit per person limit. LOL.

Smarter way to spend that money would have been to offer $50 for 16 people in the line that only wanted to buy one iPad to get a second one for her.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Last year, I waited in line for the 3G, day it came out. Good thing too, because it wasn't available again for about a month. I'm going to do that today as well, though the weather isn't nearly as nice. It was supposed to rain in the afternoon here in NYC, but now it will be nice. I plan to get there at 2:00, or perhaps a bit earlier. Whether I get on the line right away depends on how long it is, and how warm it is. Supposed to be in the mid 50's. Oh, our phones are out due to the storm last night. Verizon says they won't get to us until the 21st. Hopefully, it will dry out later anyway. Seems to be widespread.

It was fun last year, and I was number 4. Husband and wife from Germany right behind me, and they were buying one for each. 4 hours later, their plane was taking off, so they were cutting it close.

My daughter's coming in from college next Thursday, so I'd like to have this before that.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

I am going to take my chances in line. I'm still hopeful since there are a lot more stores selling them this year. Plus maybe I can pay someone at the head of the line a crisp fiver ($5) to cut in.

And if you do that then 1) You're a xxxxxxxxxx and 2) You're a prime example of what's wrong with America.

Why should anyone be able to bump other people back in line because they pay more money? Quit thinking you're privileged and wait in line like everyone else. If you get there early enough and put in the time (like everyone else) then it'll pay off in the form of you being at the front of the line. Don't be a xxxxxxx

No name calling!

Mr. melgross - First, douche is not a curse word and doesn't qualify as "language" by any stretch of the imagination. Secondly my "insult" had a qualifier in front of it - "if you do that" - therefore the name-calling was conditional. Maybe I directed my hostility in the wrong direction. I realize you're a little "older"... but I'm a 40 year old man myself and quite sure I know the proper way to conduct myself in "public". I don't appreciate you modifying my post for such nit-picky reasons and found it to be quite unnecessary and overly prudish.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Here's a heads up:

This AM I ordered 2 iPad 2's from the Apple Online store.

I also ordered some other misc stuff -- warranties, earplugs, covers, wireless keyboards, battery chargers, etc.

The iPad order process would only allow 1 model/color per order, so I had to enter 2 orders.

Now, here's the interesting part:

Apple submits the order to the credit card company in pieces based on the dates when the items ship.

The first order spawned 4 cc transactions & was approved.

The second order, a few minutes later, spawned 8 additional cc transactions....

ZZZZapppp!

The credit card fraud protection program flagged the 12 transactions within a few minutes as a possible stolen card & placed a hold on the second order.

After clearing things up the order was released a few moments ago -- 6 hours after was placed.

Good news -- kept original ship/delivery schedule