Internet speed

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am getting very fast internet speed with Comcast and my Ncard equipped laptop---like about

60Mbs---but when I plug the laptop into my N Airport Express, my speed is only 18-20Mbs--

Is speed limited on the Express---I have it set up to do iTunes and to join the network---

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

I am getting very fast internet speed with Comcast and my Ncard equipped laptop---like about

60Mbs---but when I plug the laptop into my N Airport Express, my speed is only 18-20Mbs--

Is speed limited on the Express---I have it set up to do iTunes and to join the network---

I think that there are a few things going on here:

1) You have to differentiate between Mb (megabits, or 1000 * 1000 bits) from MiB (megabytes, or 1024 * 1024 * 8 bits). Networking speed is always measured in Mb, but most Mac programs measure downloads in MiB. Make sure that your two measurements are using the same measuring system.

2) 802.11n's top theoretical speed is 300 Mb/sec, or about 35 MiB/sec ( that is 300*1000*1000/8*1024*1024). Then you need to take at least 10-15% off the top for protocol overhead (both WiFi and download protocol such as http and IP), and then some more for non-perfect radio environment.

Given all that you are not doing so badly. And if you are using an environment with both 802.11g and 802.11n deices, then you are also losing some speed to maintaining backwards compatibility.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    In fact, there is a standard covering all units.

Correct units would be:

Mbit/s - megabits per second

MB/s - megabytes per second

where M is power of ten, one thousand times.

or:

Mibit/s - mebibits per second

MiB/s - mebibytes per second

where Mi is power of two.

Please see http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Isn't that, like crazy fast?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Thanks for your help

• Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fosters View Post

Hey Dude.... How to check the internet speed.......?

Try an internet speedometer, bro!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmelineAdkinsons View Post

This might help lots of people find out about this matter.

There are several sites that you can use to test your speed---one is put on by Speakeasy another

is called Pingtest.net
  • Reply 6 of 11
    This is the speed I am getting from my hard wired Mac Mini tonight.

My MBP on my N network has never passed about 26Mbps download and 4Mbps download.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    There are certainly plenty of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great level to convey up. I supply the thoughts above as common inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you deliver up where an important thing will probably be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around things like that, however I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a good game. Each boys and girls really feel the impact of just a second?s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives. weight lifting program for softball pitchers
  • Reply 8 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hammie View Post

This is the speed I am getting from my hard wired Mac Mini tonight.

HOW.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bothausbothaus Posts: 14member
    Do you have it set to 5GHz spectrum only?

Have you tried changing the broadcast channels?

Do you have robustness turned on?

You will always get slower performance wirelessly.

Open up /Applications/Utilities/Network Utility.

What is the link speed on en1 or Airport? 130Mb would be mixed and 320Mb would be 5GHz, roughly.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zarishpk View Post

it is not compatible for this.

Please stop posting. You don't know anything about what you're saying, if your sentence makes any sense in context at all.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hammie View Post

this is the speed i am getting from my hard wired mac mini tonight.

my mbp on my n network has never passed about 26mbps download and 4mbps download.

lan party at your house!!!!!!