iPad 2 sells out in many locations after stoking hours-long lines

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Don't paint all IT nerds with the same brush. I think the vast majority have heralded the iPad as revolutionary. The lines I witnessed were full of nerds.

That's not been mine experience. The online response to the original iPad was one of irrational seething hatred. It has yet to dissipate. I could count the number of people who heralded the iPad as revolutionary after the announcement on my fingers. Many more "got it" after the initial sales figures came in although the "consumption device" meme is still strong.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

That's not been mine experience. The online response to the original iPad was one of irrational seething hatred. It has yet to dissipate. I could count the number of people who heralded the iPad as revolutionary after the announcement on my fingers. Many more "got it" after the initial sales figures came in although the "consumption device" meme is still strong.

You're confusing the online ranting of a few with the overwhelming, rational majority.

If everyone you know "didn't get it", chances are you're aquainted with people who aren't as text savvy as they'd like to believe.

Rest assured, the majority of people never had an "irrational hatred" or even any hatred at all.
  • Reply 43 of 112
    Impressive launch lines. Looking forward to the international release. Congrats to the lucky iPad 2 buyers!
  • Reply 44 of 112
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

In what way? Firs iPad was an incredible success, iPad 2 also looks set to be, and it is simply an incremental update, with the exception of the cameras, there is nothing new here...

I wish people would stop saying it's an incremental update. The iPhone 3GS was an incremental update. The iPad 2 has a new body, a new CPU, a new GPU, a new battery and the addition of cameras, a gyroscope and CDMA support. This is a device that doesn't have many parts, so I fail to see how updating the majority of them is 'incremental.' The only part that wasn't updated was the screen and the only reason people expected that to be updated was the "Retina Display" rumour. It was a major hardware update (albeit a minor software update).
  • Reply 45 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactheworld View Post

Courteous yes to take a vote on models and let people know if they were getting low on stock-- if that is what they actually did!!

I waited in Boston for 4 hours, made it all the way into the store and talking to an apple server before he told me that all 3G ATT were sold out. Now I know the guy in front of me was not the last to buy one.... so why on earth could they not have had the decency to come through the remaining line and let us know

I'm not furious they sold out-- Apple has the right to that success. I'm furious that they had so many employees working the line, had more than one going down the line asking what you were going to purchase (yes theres an app for that) and then NOT USING THAT INFORMATION TO KEEP THE PURCHASING PUBLIC INFORMED!

Very poor launch Apple. Shame on you.

I wouldn't blame it on Apple as much as that particular store. At the store where I purchased, they came around with snacks and bottled water around 4:45. They told us when models sold out, first white and black 64gb AT&T, then white 16gb AT&T, then all AT&T. Don't know how well this was communicated further back in the line. There were employees with walkies further back showing off iPads. I'm sure they were sharing info about availability as they had it.
  • Reply 46 of 112
    I got to my local best buy at around 3:45 with about 30people ahead of me. They came out around 4:39 trying to sell you on accessories and 4:50 to hand out vouchers for specific models. They only got 65 in stock and half of the line had to go ho e empty-handed. I got the model I wanted though no leather smart cover. Was out of the store by 5:30

Apple store at the mall across the street was a crazy place with a line of 200 people deep at 3:30 or so
  • Reply 47 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

I wouldn't blame it on Apple as much as that particular store. At the store where I purchased, they came around with snacks and bottled water around 4:45. They told us when models sold out, first white and black 64gb AT&T, then white 16gb AT&T, then all AT&T. Don't know how well this was communicated further back in the line. There were employees with walkies further back showing off iPads. I'm sure they were sharing info about availability as they had it.

I was 23rd in line at 12:30.....nice neighbors and Apple Store employees served bottled water and Starbucks coffee. Local Italian restaurant passed out menus so we feasted on pizza to pass the 4+ hour wait (85 degree weather in the shade helped too.)

We were told that there would be enough iPads for our group (1st 30 or so), but as time wore on we were warned th e supply of 64g models was "iffy" because the first dozen or so had indicated those were the models they would buy at 2 per customer. Aout 4 p.m. It got a little ugly when we were told there was no way my group would get the 64g models since the store had received only a few iPads.

As it turned out, I and my immediate neighbors got our first choices. When I left the store there about 100 people in line.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Where are our resident trolls today? Like the one who trumpeted "Epic Fail, Apple" when there were no lines for the Verizon version of the iPhone 4. Kind of hard to put a negative spin on this one, huh. But I have faith you'll be able to spew some nonsense to make yourselves feel better.
  • Reply 49 of 112
    I went by my local apple store about a half hour before closing just to satisfy my curiosity fully expecting them to already be depleted of their stock. As I was standing there looking at the new product I thought how many idiots, shallow people stood in line just to be able to say they bought their toy on day one. The idea of the Japanese people suffering right now came to mind and that they are standing in line as well but for food, water and shelter.
  • Reply 50 of 112
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

In what way? Firs iPad was an incredible success, iPad 2 also looks set to be, and it is simply an incremental update, with the exception of the cameras, there is nothing new here...

In terms of how instantly impressive and sexy this hardware really is. People take one look at it and they are sold....even those who said they didn't need one are like "yeeeeeah..... I'm going to have to pick that up. It's really all I need".
  • Reply 51 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you line up for this stuff you're crazy. If people had more patience they could go back a week or two later to the same store and get their iPad/iPhone right away.

You don't know what you're talking about; Apple has already pushed the shipping time to 2-3 weeks.

Just because YOU don't want the iPad 2 the first day doesn't mean that you're right and a million other people are all wrong. You really need to get out more.
  • Reply 52 of 112
    I got to the store 2 hours before launch time and found the line already wrapping around 2 sides the block the store is on. Great mix of all kinds od people . Store employees continuously offered cold drinks and water, and umbrellas to shade us poor sods located on the western exposure. Once the launch began the line started to move pretty well, and store employees continuously advised customers of the what had already been sold out.

I got my 64 gig black WiFi only, which was my second choice (the 3G ATT was already gone).

Time total spent was 3.5 hours beginning to end.

I know the unit is a little thinner and lighter, but it feels much more so. Just love it. But i'm still going to keep my old iPad 1.
  • Reply 53 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post

I went by my local apple store about a half hour before closing just to satisfy my curiosity fully expecting them to already be depleted of their stock. As I was standing there looking at the new product I thought how many idiots, shallow people stood in line just to be able to say they bought their toy on day one. The idea of the Japanese people suffering right now came to mind and that they are standing in line as well but for food, water and shelter.

But it wasn't shallow of you to go to the store "just to satisfy your curiosity." You weren't out helping these Japanese people that you mention, were you? No, you were at the Apple Store.

I think the idiot, shallow person is you for saying that YOU are somehow better than those who wanted to get the iPad 2 on the first day, and who might possibly enjoy the experience of camping out for it.

I was there yesterday, brought my folding camp chair, which was quite comfortable; I listened to an audiobook, chatted with people in line, looked at all the attractive women, drank good coffee, and had a great time. By quarter after I was in my car headed home, with my new 64GB iPad 2 3G.

But feel free to hold onto your superior (but misguided) attitude.
  • Reply 54 of 112
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Put your money where your mouth is

http://american.redcross.org/site/Pa...s_src=F8HWA002

This line stander just did.

Dear xxxxx,

The American Red Cross is acting swiftly to put your donation to work in communities affected by the earthquake in Japan and tsunami throughout the Pacific. We are supporting relief work to meet critical needs. On behalf of those we serve by our humanitarian mission, thank you.

As one of 186 Red Cross and Red Crescent societies around the world, we belong to a global humanitarian network of 13 million volunteers uniquely positioned to save lives and provide assistance to those affected by emergencies, such as the earthquake and tsunami in countries across the Pacific.

We’re grateful to have your support. To learn more about your gift at work, please visit redcross.org. On those rare occasions when donations exceed our American Red Cross expenses for a specific disaster, contributions are used to prepare for and serve victims of other disasters. Once again, thank you for your generous gift.

Sincerely,

The American Red Cross

Please join me in showing this person just how wrong he/she is.
  • Reply 55 of 112
    Quote:

Yes, but given iPad 1 had what I would call a RAM deficiency this iPad 2 will be an awesome evolution of the product.

RAM deficiency? I've had one since day one and haven't had any of your so-called "RAM deficiencies."

Trolls have come out from their stony (stoned?) hideouts.
  • Reply 56 of 112
    I think people surprised by the long lines probably didn't realize this is the new age of entertainment. After satisfying the most basic needs (food, shelter, clothings, etc), people would choose to put most of the rest of the monthly income into an entertaining gadget. And right now, iPad is the thing. This has nothing to do with 'computing', most people just want to have fun with the iPad, that's it. And it's a great trend for Apple because other companies (RIM, Motorola, HP, Microsoft, Google, etc) are still focusing on the 'computing' part, leaving Apple as the natural monopoly in this space.
  • Reply 57 of 112
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Maybe instead of drooling over the iPad like a shallow idiot, you should have been doing something more productive like starting a relief fund to help those you claim to sympathize for.
  • Reply 58 of 112
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    People can care about Japan and buy Ipad at the same time. Did I miss something here?
  • Reply 59 of 112
    Quote:

If you line up for this stuff you're crazy. If people had more patience they could go back a week or two later to the same store and get their iPad/iPhone right away.

? the Apple product launches are a fun spectacle to be a part of. In my experiences (I didn't wait in line for this launch), those of us in line usually enjoy making fun of ourselves and of how over-blown the events themselves really are. We all know we could wait, but, in addition to the desire to be among the first to have the new iThing, there's the "experience-of-being-there" factor that brings some of us out.

The Apple employees are always very nice and helpful, interacting with, and showing the launch product to, people in line while they wait. And the Apple Stores usually work with neighboring merchants to provide snacks and refreshments to those waiting as well. Also, I think a lot of people wind up networking pretty effectively by chatting with those around them.

Waiting in line for Apple product launches may be unnecessary, and certainly isn't for everyone, but it's fun.
  • Reply 60 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

People can care about Japan and buy Ipad at the same time. Did I miss something here?

Agree.

As sad as it is in Japan right now there are tragedies happening world wide 24/7/365, I'm sure I don't have to be specific.

We'd all be catatonic if we had to stop our everyday lives for every disaster.

At the same time... it might be a good idea to be very thankful for everything that we have.

<steps off soap box>