Apple begins shipping iPad 2 orders for March 17 delivery

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Multiple reports of shipments of the first wave of iPad 2 orders has begun, with delivery estimates noting an expected delivery date of March 17.

Some accessories have also shipped, including some Smart Covers, which are shipped via slower ground freight. Apple's estimated ship times for Smart Covers online vary according to the type and color ordered.

Grey, green and tan are still available in 1 to 2 days, while the red leather cover seems to be the most popular or at lease elusive, with a 3-4 week shipping wait.

The Apple Digital AV adapter for HDMI output has not yet shipped, but is estimated to so so in 1 to 2 business days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Multiple reports of shipments of the first wave of iPad 2 orders has begun, with delivery estimates noting an expected delivery date of March 17.

my expectations when reading this blog are very low, and you guys never cease to fail to meet even those expectations. where the hell did you learn to write? oh, you didn't.

has begun?

what's begun? the reports? or the shipments?

and what the hell else beside a delivery date would a delivery estimate communicate, the length of an apple? welcome to the department of redundancy department.

i laughed so hard i couldn't even get past the first sentence. it's a good thing you only report on computers and not repair them. flame on.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    easyeeasye Posts: 20member
    LOL @Pooch way to bitch-slap that automated slave.

PREPPED TO SHIP! YES!!

order: 16Gb Black Wifi, engraved

time: 4:01am EST

• Reply 3 of 23
    My Digital AV adapter has shipped (from where, I don't know)

1 of 2 Smart covers has shipped from Sacramento -- it is on truck for delivery, today

1 of 2 Earphones has shipped from China

AppleCare and non-iPad items all shipped.

... That leaves 2 iPads.... Sigh!

On a fluke, waited for about an hour at the Brentwood, CA. Target. They handed out tickets earlier in the day, and started selling at 5:00. I was 3rd in line waiting for no-shows (after 6:00).

Others in line said the local stores were all gone -- ATT had none, Wal-Mart a few, BestBuy a few.

The Target only had 15.

... Just checked Target -- no shipment today -- yet!

• Reply 4 of 23
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

my expectations when reading this blog are very low, and you guys never cease to fail to meet even those expectations. where the hell did you learn to write? oh, you didn't.

has begun?

what's begun? the reports? or the shipments?

and what the hell else beside a delivery date would a delivery estimate communicate, the length of an apple? welcome to the department of redundancy department.

i laughed so hard i couldn't even get past the first sentence. it's a good thing you only report on computers and not repair them. flame on.

Hello pot, you seem to be calling the kettle "black".

Lack of capitalization, missing punctuation and poor grammar, litter your diatribe.

Back on topic now. I was one of the first to order online and still no shipment notification. I really don't anticipate one until Monday though, with delivery on Thursday or Friday.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I ordered mine at 12:53 AM Friday PST. It has shipped and on its way for anticipated delivery by Thursday.

It's currently in Shenzhen, China.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    heyjpheyjp Posts: 39member
    I stood in line at Apple Store near Boulder Colorado for two hours. At 5:05 announced that they had no AT&T iPads left. Went home and ordered online: I got slated for April 1ship date with Apriln6 delivery. :-(

Jim
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Some accessories have also shipped, including some Smart Covers, which are shipped via slower ground freight. Apple's estimated ship times for Smart Covers online vary according to the type and color ordered.

Grey, green and tan are still available in 1 to 2 days, while the red leather cover seems to be the most popular or at lease elusive, with a 3-4 week shipping wait.

The Apple Digital AV adapter for HDMI output has not yet shipped, but is estimated to so so in 1 to 2 business days.

• Reply 8 of 23
    I ordered mine at 1:20 PST. No notification yet. I had mine engraved as well. Anyone know where the engraving takes place? Is it China? California???
  • Reply 9 of 23
    My HDMI AV adapter shipped from China on Friday. My black smart cover has not shipped. I ordered at 2:48am central time. Both my 64gb wifi and the av adapter are scheduled to arrive on the 17th.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I ordered mine at 1:20 PST. No notification yet. I had mine engraved as well. Anyone know where the engraving takes place? Is it China? California???

I believe the engraving is done in China.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:

I went into my local Verizon store and the guy told me that I could use iPad 2 as a wi-fi hotspot. Because I have a mi-fi card currently, they could switch it over to iPad 2 (and disable the card). It cuts 10 bucks off of my bill and I don't have to buy 3G service separately because I'm already paying for a data plan. Does that sound right?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Sooo... that will make March 17 into iPaddy's Day this year, right?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

That's funny!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmizerek View Post

I believe the engraving is done in China.

lol, I read that as,

"I believe the engraving is done in Chinese."
  • Reply 15 of 23
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    As someone who likes to party like a rockstar on st patty's day.. This was seriously insensitive timing on apple's part. At least I can nurse my Irish flu with my iPad 2 in bed the next morning.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I went into my local Verizon store and the guy told me that I could use iPad 2 as a wi-fi hotspot. Because I have a mi-fi card currently, they could switch it over to iPad 2 (and disable the card). It cuts 10 bucks off of my bill and I don't have to buy 3G service separately because I'm already paying for a data plan. Does that sound right?

I am pretty sure that the hotspot functionality only works with the iPhone. This was in a slide during the Apple iPad 2 presentation. Many verizon and other retail employees are not very well informed.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Too funny!

I just looked at my order this morning and my 64gb ATT iPad is "Prepared for Shipment" my Navy leather cover is already on its way. I am so excited, but also very saddened by the news from Japan, so I also made a donation through iTunes, glad that Apple put that up.

*Update, just got a notice that it has shipped, delivery date is March 17th, iPaddy's day for sure!!)
  • Reply 18 of 23
    vb23vb23 Posts: 5member
    Here is the status of my order

Ordered 3:58 est/ 12:58 pst

32 GB Black AT&T

Engraved

Shipping in 3-5 Days

Delivered 18-25 March.

People who ordered after me are receiving theirs first? This points to specific models having supply issues (probably due to demand)
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vb23 View Post

Here is the status of my order

Ordered 3:58 est/ 12:58 pst

32 GB Black AT&T

Engraved

Shipping in 3-5 Days

Delivered 18-25 March.

People who ordered after me are receiving theirs first? This points to specific models having supply issues (probably due to demand)

Mine is engraved too, but I got the most expensive ATT model, those are going a little slower (relatively) I would imagine. I almost got the next model down, but I figured it would be good to have more memory, I plan on using the video camera to take "home movies" and edit them with iMovie. I know, I know reviewers are crabbing about the cameras, but they don't account for the fact that stills and video are different things as far as resolution needs. I have a brand new Olympus SLR digital camera for the awesome stills, but it does not take video at all. So the iPad will fill the gap for the video I will be posting online.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Stood in line for 3 hours at the Bellevue, WA Apple Store with about 1,500 other people. They ran out of AT&T iPads when I was about 50 feet from the door so I went home and ordered online. Now I'm scheduled to receive my new iPad 2 on APRIL 14th.

Way to anticipate demand, Apple. \

LOL, on the upside, my gray cover shipped today.