Higher resolution MBP display?

mjimji
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I noticed that there's a BTO option for a somewhat higher resolution macbook pro display... is this new with the current revision or has it been around? Has anyone seen it? I have a 2006 MBP and have always thought the display was a bit low-res...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mji View Post

I noticed that there's a BTO option for a somewhat higher resolution macbook pro display... is this new with the current revision or has it been around? Has anyone seen it? I have a 2006 MBP and have always thought the display was a bit low-res...

It's for the 15" and it's been around for a while now. What I want is the higher resolution MacBook Air 13" screen on the 13" MBP and I'm a bit miffed we didn't get that, but having a late 2009 MBP I'm not exactly ready to upgrade anyway, so I'll wait for the next release.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It's for the 15" and it's been around for a while now. What I want is the higher resolution MacBook Air 13" screen on the 13" MBP and I'm a bit miffed we didn't get that, but having a late 2009 MBP I'm not exactly ready to upgrade anyway, so I'll wait for the next release.

I have the same Macbook Pro as you. I totally agree that we should get the upgrade that the Macbook Air gets!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mji View Post

As mention, it has been around awhile. I just picked up a new 15" last weekend and debated between the hi-res 15 and the 17". Ended up with the 15 and love the display. It's a very noticeable upgrade from my old (1440x900) 15" MBP.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Is there a big difference between the 1900x1200 17 inch and the 1680x1050 15 inch?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duffhonduras View Post

Is there a big difference between the 1900x1200 17 inch and the 1680x1050 15 inch?

Define different? I looked at the 17" and put it in a resolution comparable to the 1680x1050 15" (the 17" doesn't support that exact resolution, but I was able to find something close) and compared it to its native 19x12 resolution and did find it appealing. But then I picked up and held the 17" and found that extra pound surprisingly significant in terms of portability.

I do have some regrets: I wish I had the ExpressCard slot (I'm one of those 10% who used it on my old 15") and I do know there will come a time when I'll wish I had that third USB port. But I'm hoping the need for ExpressCard will be mitigated by the Thunderbolt port (hopefully someone will come out with a eSATA adapter until native drives are readily available), and I can always carry a hub if I need the extra USB...

As for the extra real estate, I've begun using Spaces (along with a great utility called Hyperspaces that came in a bundle I bought last year but never until now used) and I'm finding that goes a long way and gives me a handy little way to logically partition my tasks into virtual screens.