First look: Apple's new GarageBand for iPad, updated iMovie for iOS

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by me2 View Post

1. For Vocals, IK Multimedia, iRIG Mic, http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmic/features/

2. For Guitar, IK Multimedia iRig, http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/features/

The iRig and iRig Mic have been confirmed to be fully compatible with GarageBand on the iPad.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I wish Apple adds support to Oud in Garage Band (Mac and iOS). It is beautiful instrument. I like that there is a built in tuner in the iPads GB. Now I can tune my Oud (built in 1980) using it
  • Reply 43 of 55
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Mid-afternoon PST the total of ratings was 48. It's now 480 and climbing.

I imagine Garageband will be in tens of millions of iPads very soon.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    From a thread yesterday:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andykemp View Post

1GB RAM minimum should be in this Tablet. Its going to be running Garage Band. I've seen desktops that didn't run Garage Band well without lots of memory. ... Give it a month of so and let the suckers buy it first.

• Reply 45 of 55
    Just a word of warning to those who would like to use iMovie with the system set to a language other than English:

It doesn't work!!

At least if you plan to create a movie longer that 59 seconds.

This was a well know bug on iMovie 1.1 that unfortunately Apple didn't fix in this new version.

Just for the record:

I'm using a non JB iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Spent over an hour playing with GB on my iPad 1 today. Boy it's fun. Made a couple of jingles that I will use as is in a presentation at work on Monday.

Tried every USB mic I have (M-Audio, Samson, FlexMic, Zoom H4N); none worked.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's interesting to me when people talk about Honeycomb this way-- as if the underlying system metaphors were something to desire as "more productive" or "more netbook like" in their own right, without ever talking about (or indeed, seeming to be very interested in) what applications, and how implemented, they might actually be interested in using.

As it stands, the iPad allows me to run really, really nice word processing, presentation creation, music creation, movie creation, photo editing, technical diagraming, database, etc., etc. applications. Most of these, particularly the Apple first party apps and apps by Apple exclusive outfits like the Omni Group have no peer on the Android platform.

Yet I'm to believe that an Android tablet running Honeycomb is a more productive solution because I can customize the home screen or see upcoming appointments in a widget. If what I need is to be able to see upcoming appointments in a widget (or weather updates or recent texts) wouldn't I just use my phone for that? Everything I hear about why an Android tablet might be a better choice than an iPad appears to be roughly "like an Android phone but more so." I don't see why I need to spend $800 for a device with almost no actual productivity software outside of Google's web stuff. There are easier ways to check your Gmail or be reminded of an appointment.

Quote:

Not only do these apps showcase what can be done with touch, they begin to bring to fruition Apple's vision of a device that disappears into the app.

The iPad is, for all intents and purposes, a screen. The changes to the iPad 2 increase the sense of almost no hardware behind that front surface. Each application is then free to create whatever environment is required to transform the iPad into a device entirely for that task.

With GarageBand, Apple has transformed the iPad into a number of musical instruments, a mixing and editing console and multitrack audio recorder. When the iPad is running the guitar app, it's a virtual guitar device. Not a computer running a virtual guitar program, but that device, entire.

I think this is another point of differentiation between the iPad and the competition. With Honeycomb, Google seems to be interested in making tablets more desktop computer like, with lots of persistent system cruft and and an emphasis on flashy app switching and desktop behaviors. Apple has a different idea about tablets, that they are properly chimera-- that the combination of being basically all screen and a touch interface allows the iPad to become entirely different things in succession, not one thing running a number of apps within a computer context.

Emphasis, mine.

These are two of the most cogent posts I've seen, regarding the superiority of iOS over Android.

You should be writing ad[dabox] copy for Apple.

When you really think about it -- those social, calendar, email, mms, Facebook, etc. Widgets are "nice to have" shortcuts. They are useful, but, more than likely, you will need to invoke the app to take any meaningful action.

I am retired now, but used to travel a lot, meet with different customers in different cities, etc.

Usually, I was mentally aware of my schedule, contacts, the weather, flights, etc. -- it's not like these changed every few minutes and required constant updates (notifications).

Just how many things does one person need to keep track of at any given instant?

Aside: A friend of mine does a weekly LiveCast, sheenamelwani.tv (sing, piano, talk, laugh). Her Dad was a guest on one show and Sheena, was teasing him for not following her on Twitter. His answer: "I am really not that interested in everything you do!"

The fascination with Widgits/Notifications reminds me of a new-hire salesman in the Las Vegas IBM office. Every day he would grab a yellow tablet and start making "call plans" and "to do" lists. Unfortunately, he never had enough time left to make the actual calls.

Similarly, I suspect, these Widgets/Notifications make you so productive and informed -- that you can't get any work done!

• Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wish Apple adds support to Oud in Garage Band (Mac and iOS). It is beautiful instrument. I like that there is a built in tuner in the iPads GB. Now I can tune my Oud (built in 1980) using it

I suspect that we will see quite a few instruments added to GB.

I t would also be interesting if artists could sell in app purchases of lessons -- including sheet music/tab, along with audio tracks -- so you could watch/listen and play along.

My top requests:

-- brass (including tuba)

-- woodwinds

-- more strings - dobro, steel guitar, mandolin

-- Alphorn

-- Glockenspiel, triangle

• Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Spent over an hour playing with GB on my iPad 1 today. Boy it's fun. Made a couple of jingles that I will use as is in a presentation at work on Monday.

Tried every USB mic I have (M-Audio, Samson, FlexMic, Zoom H4N); none worked.

Sorry to hear that. We have tested the iRig Mic with GarageBand and have confirmed that they are working well together.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is just conjecture, but you can import GarageBand projects from your computer to the iPad's version, so I would assume you can do the same the other way.

Leading me to believe the same is true of iMovie projects, but we'll have to wait and see.

I believe this is incorrect. GarageBand on iPad has far fewer options and far fewer samples available, so theoretically you could import a MIDI file and use it on an iPad, but I am almost 100% positive you cannot 'round-trip' files from desktop GarageBand back to iPad GB.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by me2 View Post

I know of four alternatives, and I'm sure there will be many more. Here they are:

1. For Vocals, IK Multimedia, iRIG Mic, http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmic/features/

2. For Guitar, IK Multimedia iRig, http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/features/

3. For Vocals and Guitar, Sonoma Wireworks, Guitar Jack http://sonomawireworks.com/products.php#guitarjack

4. For vocals, guitar, and midi, Alesis, IO Dock http://alesis.com/iodock

The IO Dock looks to be the most comprehensive. Street price is projected to be $199.

What are the best control surface apps that can be used for GarageBand, Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack and Motion?
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect that we will see quite a few instruments added to GB.

I t would also be interesting if artists could sell in app purchases of lessons -- including sheet music/tab, along with audio tracks -- so you could watch/listen and play along.

My top requests:

-- brass (including tuba)

-- woodwinds

-- more strings - dobro, steel guitar, mandolin

-- Alphorn

-- Glockenspiel, triangle

In-app purchases for additional instruments or loops would make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I believe this is incorrect. GarageBand on iPad has far fewer options and far fewer samples available, so theoretically you could import a MIDI file and use it on an iPad, but I am almost 100% positive you cannot 'round-trip' files from desktop GarageBand back to iPad GB.

GarageBand itself tells you it's possible within the application.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

GarageBand itself tells you it's possible within the application.

The option may be there, but according to this Apple Support document, files created on one machine cannot be opened on the other, although an update is promised for at least opening iPad GarageBand files on a Mac (though nothing about going the other way):

Quote:

Summary

Songs created in GarageBand for iPad can not be opened in GarageBand for Mac. Projects created in GarageBand for Mac cannot be opened in GarageBand for iPad.

Quote:

A future update of GarageBand for Mac will open songs created in GarageBand for iPad.

• Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:

The option may be there, but according to this Apple Support document, files created on one machine cannot be opened on the other, although an update is promised for at least opening iPad GarageBand files on a Mac (though nothing about going the other way):

I use a lot of SoundFont files, so those will be useless on the iPad. I'll probably use the iPad as my "scratchpad" to work out musical ideas, then send them to the desktop for finishing.