HELP : LaTeX equations in Mellel

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm trying to paste some LaTeX equations made with LaTeXiT into a Mellel document and I'm having troubles with inline equations : They aren't properly aligned with the text. I'm getting something like a pasted picture (bottom of picture aligned with the text, which isn't right for an equation).

How am I supposed to make the baseline equations properly aligned with the normal text ? I checked all the preferences (in Mellel and in LaTeXiT), and I don't see any parameters related to equations alignement. There's something very important I don't understand here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Howdy. I use Mellel, but never have used equations. Have you posted on the Mellel Forum?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrayShades View Post

Have you posted on the Mellel Forum?

Strangely, I tried to register there, but never got the registration email confirmation messages. I tried several times, and of course I checked my spam/trash boxes just in case. I'm yet unable to post anything on this forum.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Okay, I will post it for you. Then you can watch for responses.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Here you go.

Does that help?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Here you go.

Does that help?

Yes ! Thanks a lot for your help. The answers have comfirmed my fears, unfortunately.

So I'm now learning full LaTeX edition. I can't stand anymore the WYSIWYG approach, in the case of scientific documents with equations. Too much troubles with alignments, formats, and all the rest. No wonder why about all scientists are actually using LaTeX !

Too bad I now have to code !
  • Reply 6 of 10
    So are you using something like TeXMaker? Or TeXShop?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

So are you using something like TeXMaker? Or TeXShop?

Yes, TeXShop, LaTeXit in some cases (huge equations), and mostly Latexian.

I must say that the output is extraordinary beautifull ! MUCH better than anything you could get with the standard WYSIWYG tools.

But it may be a pain in the butt to edit the code files in some cases...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I was a mathematician 40 years ago and would have loved LaTeX ... anything computerized because my intro to computers was in 1968 (junior in college) when Fortran IV was the latest software running on an IBM 360 (top of the line stuff!). Anyway, my life has taken many turns during the past 40 years, and the last 29 have been focused on theology using specifically Hebrew and Greek (as well as Latin and German). Mellel has been a superb tool for that. Hence I while I have dabbled in LaTeX, it offers nothing better than what Mellel does.

Wish you well.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

Yes ! Thanks a lot for your help. The answers have comfirmed my fears, unfortunately.

So I'm now learning full LaTeX edition. I can't stand anymore the WYSIWYG approach, in the case of scientific documents with equations. Too much troubles with alignments, formats, and all the rest. No wonder why about all scientists are actually using LaTeX !

Too bad I now have to code !

I learned LaTeX when I was in grad school. It wasn't too difficult to pick up. There is tons of stuff on the Internet on it. Whenever you need to look up command, you just need to do a search fo it and a bunch of good results will pop up. I use it for all my word processing now.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I learned LaTeX when I was in grad school. It wasn't too difficult to pick up. There is tons of stuff on the Internet on it. Whenever you need to look up command, you just need to do a search fo it and a bunch of good results will pop up. I use it for all my word processing now.

I agree. I'm on FULL LaTeX now. Latexian and LaTeXit are absolutely great soft to write with LaTeX.

I'm now in peace with this. My transition is done !