Apple accepts iTunes donations, AT&T offers free calls to Japan in wake of disaster

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is accepting Red Cross donations through iTunes, and customers of the AT&T network in the U.S. can call or text Japan for free until the end of March, following the deadly earthquake and tsunami that have caused major destruction and a still unknown number of casualties.

Apple began supporting relief efforts over the weekend, with a link to donate on the iTunes Store. Using an iTunes account, users can donate in amounts of $5, $10, $25, $50, $100 and $200.

One-hundred percent of contributions will go to the American Red Cross. Apple will not share personal information with the Red Cross, so the organization will be unable to further acknowledge any donations.

Donations will be acknowledged with an e-mail from the iTunes Store, and the transaction will show up on a credit card as an iTunes Store purchase. iTunes Store credit cannot be used to make a donation.

Apple employed the same service in 2010, following a devastating series of earthquakes in Haiti.

Joining Apple in supporting the nation of Japan after last week's massive earthquake and tsunami is AT&T, one of two carriers of the iPhone in the U.S. AT&T announced on Monday that calls and texts to Japan will be free until the end of March.

The support will extend into last week, effective March 11, and runs through March 31, in an effort to help those who may be trying to reach loved ones from over the Pacific. AT&T wireless postpaid customers will not be charged for international long distance from the U.S. and Puerto Rico to Japan, or text messages to Japan from a U.S. wireless number.

In addition, residential wireline customers can seek credits for up to 60 minutes of direct-dial calling to Japan. Both wireline and wireless customers will either see no charges reflected on their monthly statement, or they will have a full credit applied.

"We want to help our customers connect with loved ones in Japan in anyway we can," said Mark Collins, senior vice president, Voice and Data Products, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "Connecting with family and friends is most important at times like this- we want to make it as easy and worry free as possible for our customers."

AT&T wireless customers can also text "redcross" to the number 90999 to give a $10 donation to the Red Cross with no text message fees. Customers of AT&T's U-Verse TV will also have free access through March 17 to "TV Japan," the 24-hour Japanese news channel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Pardon me for sounding cold hearted here; please take the following into account.

Now who remembers Japan sending aid money to the USA when Katrina hit and killed people and destroyed billions of dollars of property?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Pardon me for sounding cold hearted here; please take the following into account.

Now who remembers Japan sending aid money to the USA when Katrina hit and killed people and destroyed billions of dollars of property?

So what? That doesn't mean that people here can't help them. If you don't want to donate, then don't.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Your a ass dude!

thousands of people die and you say some crap like that?

funny how insensitive we are as humans when things don't directly affect us.

your a perfect example of all that is wrong in the world today

kick rocks foker!
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:

I hope our giving is never determined by what we can 'get out' or 'have gotten' from a country in the past but rather our love and respect for others, especially in a time of crisis.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Hey! ass face... Japan was one of the first countries to step up to the plate during the Katrina disaster.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Obviously you don't subscribe to the lead by example approach of doing things. Further, people all over the world donated to the Red Cross after Katrina including Japan.

Hopefully you feel like an idiot now.

Quote:

• Reply 7 of 26
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member
    Quote:

I do. And so does the US government:

"Japan has pledged more than $1.5 million in private donations. The government of Japan has donated $200,000 in cash to the American Red Cross and some $800,000 in relief supplies -- from blankets to generators -- already are arriving to aid the most needy. Japanese firms with operations in the United States have donated some $12 million in total, including Honda Motor Corporation ($5 million), Hitachi ($1 million) and Nissan (more than $750,000).

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo was overwhelmed by the generosity of one Japanese individual -- Takashi Endo -- who donated $1 million from his personal funds to Katrina relief efforts. Endo said he was moved when, during a business trip to London, he saw a televised report about a mother separated from her children in the chaos of the flooding in New Orleans. The story so disturbed him he could not sleep that night; the next morning he resolved to do something to help.

Yuji Takahashi, president and chief executive officer of the Japan Petroleum Exploration Company Ltd., which has operations off the coast of Louisiana, donated $100,000 to U.S. federal government hurricane relief efforts. Takahashi said that when he learned of the destruction caused by the hurricane, he felt as if his own family had been affected..."

-- http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-e...68313e-02.html

You, sir, are not cold-hearted. You are simply an ass.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    i'll not comment on the musings of an ignoramus...

very glad to see this -- anything that makes it easier for people to help is a very good thing, as i see it. it would be great if donations could be made on an i-device...

my thoughts are with the japanese people.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Yeah people should be helping those in need regardless if there is a natural disaster or not.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

What an appallingly bad statement to make. Since when is humanitarian aid contingent on someone else doing for you first? We are one of if not THE richest countries on earth, with an infrastructure (if managed properly) that is up to handling all but the most devastating catastrophe. If we can't serve our own then shame on us. But to require tit for tat from a country in their time of need shows a degree of callouse ingratitude and fundamental lack of concern for your fellow humans that is beyond the pale.

May you be paid in kind in your hour of darkest need. And yet someone with greater compassion than you will likely come to your aid just the same. I hope you have the consistency of character to turn away their offers of help.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Thanks AI I was looking for a way to help Japan. And being an Apple enthusiast, this is the easiest and most convenient way to contribute for me.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    dble ost
  • Reply 13 of 26
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I think we should be helping others even when there isn't a natural disaster. Why is it that only when there is a natural disaster people find ways to help others in need? We should be helping others even before the disaster strikes IMO.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    seelyseely Posts: 5member
    $200.00 was just donated via my iTunes account. I can do better and I will.

Every day is a gift!~
  • Reply 15 of 26
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Deleted.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    idadidad Posts: 17member
    where is the link. I can not find it
  • Reply 17 of 26
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not to knock the work the Red Cross performs, but it overpays its executives tremendously. It is a charity and Elizabeth Dole was making over a half a million dollars a year. One CEO was making closer to seven hundred thousand.

Surely you can find qualified people to run the Red Cross on a charity budget. Money you donate is paying those salaries. I doubt the high salary is greatly increasing revenue for the Red Cross.

T o compare charities Doctors without Borders spends 1.8 percent of its annual money on administrative expenses (e.g. salary) whereas Red Cross spends 4.8 percent. A good Site to look at various Charities for independent ratings is charitynavigator.com.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I don't like the way Red Cross handles donations. So I won't be using iTunes. Apple, please give us options in the future.

• Reply 18 of 26
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Whether you have a point or not, your comment is cold hearted and uncalled for.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I appreciate Apple making this effort to assist people in their donations. I hope that if there is a charitable tax benefit from the money Apple collects, that it too is donated, if that is possible. I also hope that Apple will donate money of their own as well.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Japan sent $250,000 in earthquake relief funds to San Francisco -- in 1906.

http://mceer.buffalo.edu/1906_Earthq...uake-facts.asp