Teardown of Apple's iPad 2 Smart Cover uncovers 21 magnets

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I am thinking Motorola will file a patent case against Apple, if they were smart enough to file a general patent, of course.

The Cinema Display had a built-in magnet for the iSight camera (way nicer than on the PC side wondering where to stick the tape or scratchy clamp...) and the iMac also had the magnet holding the little remote to the side. And did the Pre 'touchstone' thing pre-date the Droid?

Anyway, unlikely to be looking at any lawsuits here. Oh, who are we kidding, of course there can be some lawsuits!
  • Reply 42 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Touch1 View Post

... How are these magnets going to interact with the human body that is essentially an electro-magnetic/electro-chemical device? What lawsuits are going to come out? Maybe it will cure my arthritic (spelling) fingers?

Unfortunately, the magnets completely disable those magic arthritis bracelets they sell on the shopping channel.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I think there should have been more magnets at the corners of the smart cover and iPad 2 to ensure a tighter closed connection.

Agreed. My smart cover is already becoming sloppy after 3 days....
  • Reply 44 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

So, the world should stop providing blood transfusions or procreating? I am confused.

AIDS transmission by blood transfusion is exceedingly rare. Within monogamous marriage ('to death do us part'), it is also very rare. AIDS exists more because of human choices -- 'Recreation', in various forms (sex, drug needles), not 'procreation'.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

True, OMG imagine laying your latest Apple ][ disk full of games (with the notch cut out so as to be able to write to the reverse side of course) down one of these screen covers!

Awesome! I had totally forgotten about cutting out the notch. Nice memory.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

AIDS transmission by blood transfusion is exceedingly rare. Within monogamous marriage ('to death do us part'), it is also very rare. AIDS exists more because of human choices -- 'Recreation', in various forms (sex, drug needles), not 'procreation'.

You original comment stated it could be stopped tomorrow, not mostly stopped. Since you?ve acknowledged that HIV has been transmitted via a blood transfusion, even though it?s far from the most common method, your original comment has to be false as stated.

In fact, based on your comment the only assured method is to separate and eradicated any and all people with HIV/AIDSon the planet. Even then, it?s only assured if you eradicate all of it, which means testing everyone, which also includes non-human primates. I?d think you wouldn?t be suggesting all that.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Where the multi-pierced hipster Apple Retail staff are suddenly besieged - Wile E. Coyote style - by an open case of 21-magnet iPad2 covers.

(Disclaimer - I adore Apple, but the retail staff can be amusing to watch.)

I don't know, the customers are much more amusing to me...
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:

I wish we could put the research into diseases that have unknown (or lesser-undesrstood) causes -- cancer, alzheimers, etc. AIDS could be stopped tomorrow, without any research at all.

Don't be such a colossal bigot.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You original comment stated it could be stopped tomorrow, not mostly stopped. Since you?ve acknowledged that HIV has been transmitted via a blood transfusion, even though it?s far from the most common method, your original comment has to be false as stated.

In fact, based on your comment the only assured method is to separate and eradicated any and all people with HIV/AIDSon the planet. Even then, it?s only assured if you eradicate all of it, which means testing everyone, which also includes non-human primates. I?d think you wouldn?t be suggesting all that.

No one said anything about separating or eradicating. The spread of AIDS could be stopped by human choice. No need to 'eradicate' anyone. But let's put money on diseases that aren't as preventable.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

The Cinema Display had a built-in magnet for the iSight camera (way nicer than on the PC side wondering where to stick the tape or scratchy clamp...) ...

what model was that? I have an old iSight and it only came with those plastic mounts. Never found any magnetic areas on my Cinema Displays either.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Don't be such a colossal bigot.

That statement itself shows that it's you that's the bigot.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    This is the sort of thing that sets Apple apart from the competition. However, this is also the sort of thing that exposes Apple to issues like Antennagate.

Apple does not fear to tread boldly into totally new territory. I would not be surprised if we start hearing stories in a few weeks, of how someone's credit cards, or pen drives, or some such thing got fried just because they were placed on the iPad.

I think Apple could have used elecro-magnets - instead of permanent magnets. This could be done by simply routing the power from the batteries into 10 solenoid coils placed around the display, and then routing the power to the circuits. If the user decides to not have magnets - he can set up the iPad to disable magnetism - and the power from the iPad would be routed directly to the circuits, bypassing the solenoids entirely.

Of course, there would be slight impact to the battery life if this was done - unless Apple figured out a way to create superconductivity at room temperature real cheap :-)
  • Reply 53 of 75
    Over at Instructables.com I wrote an article on how to make an non-smart iPad cover into a smart one by inserting magnets.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Oh, the memories!

Note to self, don't put wallet full of credit cards near an iPad or it's cover!

True that! Although it probably won't hurt a card unless you rub it around directly over the magnets in the case.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    Quote:

No one said anything about separating or eradicating. The spread of AIDS could be stopped by human choice. No need to 'eradicate' anyone. But let's put money on diseases that aren't as preventable.

Speaking of "human choice? why not let humans choose which diseases should be funded. I like the idea that millions of people are working on curing, lessening, or generally giving people afflicted with a disease a chance at a decent life.

I don?t like the idea that no money should be put toward diseases that are more preventable than others, or because it?s seen as a ?blacks disease? or ?gays disease.? I like the idea of ?human choice? in how us humans will better the world.

For all you and I know some poor women who was raped (her choice?) and carried a baby to term who then contracted HIV in utero could go on to cure a genetic disease if given a chance to have a long, healthy life.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of "human choice? why not let humans choose which diseases should be funded. I like the idea that millions of people are working on curing, lessening, or generally giving people afflicted with a disease a chance at a decent life.

I don?t like the idea that no money should be put toward diseases that are more preventable than others, or because it?s seen as a ?blacks disease? or ?gays disease.? I like the idea of ?human choice? in how us humans will better the world.

For all you and I know some poor women who was raped (her choice?) and carried a baby to term who then contracted HIV in utero could go on to cure a genetic disease if given a chance to have a long, healthy life.

I agree. I don't think all funding/research should be stopped, because there are those with the disease today, and there will be a few who will get it transmitted in the womb, etc. I just think that there is an over-emphasis of the medical cure, rather than preventing the disease from being acquired in the first place.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Where the multi-pierced hipster Apple Retail staff are suddenly besieged - Wile E. Coyote style - by an open case of 21-magnet iPad2 covers.

(Disclaimer - I adore Apple, but the retail staff can be amusing to watch.)

That's going to change now that they have a .... "Magnetic Personality."
  • Reply 58 of 75
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Now that there has been a teardown, I hope we get a bill of materials estimate for the covers.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Now that there has been a teardown, I hope we get a bill of materials estimate for the covers.

LOL $4.12

Unfortunately it?s one of those things that are vastly more costly to design and produce than what the BoM states. I wouldn?t be surprised if the cost of the iPad-side Smart Cover hardware isn?t included in the price of the Smart Cover, not the iPad. It could be a way to keep the cost down on the device and recoup it in the Smart Cover.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

I agree. I don't think all funding/research should be stopped, because there are those with the disease today, and there will be a few who will get it transmitted in the womb, etc. I just think that there is an over-emphasis of the medical cure, rather than preventing the disease from being acquired in the first place.

Actually it needs a multifaceted approach. Lots of it is spent on prevention. In africa in particular it takes a lot of money to dispel the misinformation spread, by the catholic church in particular, about the use of phrophylactic methods.

Monogamy and abstinence are certainly methods that can be effective novel approaches to combat transmission. But I think it is naive to suggest that everyone is equally suited to, or even capable of, those approaches.

I'm intrigued by this teardown. The solution apple took is nothing like I imagined. I never imagined they needed the steel plate - but it makes sense to secure the metal without tearing the cover. I reasoned that they didn't need magnets in the middle sections where the yellow plastic is (even though the audio track in the smart cover advertisement made it sound like there were). I'm glad that magnets hold the folded triangle in place. That was the kind of information the early reviews lacked. I've done enough origami to know how easily creases can unfold when the material is thick. It looks like a decent solution and worth the money.