Apple applying for The Beatles' Granny Smith trademark

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
European trademark applications filed by Apple have surfaced that would finalize the transfer of The Beatles' iconic Granny Smith Apple logos from Apple Corps to Apple and expand the trademark to include technology products.

The pair of trademark applications filed with the European Trademarks Office was discovered by Patently Apple on Monday.

The transfer comes as a result of a 2007 legal settlement between Apple and The Beatles' parent company Apple Corps. The settlement resolved a long-standing dispute over ownership of the "Apple" trademark by granting Apple all related trademarks, though the company is required to license certain trademarks back to Apple Corps.

As such, Apple's recent filings for the Granny Smith trademark appear to be merely a matter of tying up loose ends. In the two applications, Apple has requested that the trademark for the former Apple Corps logo extend coverage to "computer hardware, online social networking services, mobile phones," as well as including broader categories such as musical instruments, games, clothing, advertising, education and broadcasting.

The resolution of the legal dispute between Apple and Apple Corps paved the way for the arrival of The Beatles' catalog on Apple's iTunes Music Store, though it took more than three years to happen. iTunes began carrying the band's music in November of last year, with first week sales reaching 450,000 albums and 2 million songs.

According to a report earlier this year, the royalty split for The Beatles "could be more lucrative" than for other artists. Sources claim that the unique licensing deal between Apple and Apple Corps allows Apple to directly pay royalties to The Beatles and Sony/ATV instead of treating digital download sales as a retail sale and paying royalties to record label EMI.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    i sense the bubble going to burst for "APPLE"

\
  • Reply 2 of 26
    OK. It's official. Apple's now bigger than the Beatles.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    The Beatles are all, but dead. Apple is far from dead.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Apple. We own it. Like literally... all images of any kind of applesque fruit shape, form, function or idea.

"We thought really long and hard about it. But we decided anyone that eats an actual apple needs to buy it for 99 cents from their local iTunes Store. In many parts of the world, that's a bargain! And don't forget, the farmer (usually Wallmart) gets to keep 70% of the sales..."
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    That looks better than their iconic logo? I'd go back to the rainbow apple before I'd use a photorealistic one.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple. We own it. Like literally... all images of any kind of applesque fruit shape, form, function or idea.

"We thought really long and hard about it. But we decided anyone that eats an actual apple needs to buy it for 99 cents from their local iTunes Store. In many parts of the world, that's a bargain! And don't forget, the farmer (usually Wallmart) gets to keep 70% of the sales..."

That apple image was already owned, before Apple came on the scene. This is just a transfer to Apple relating to a deal with Apple Corps long since made.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

i sense the bubble going to burst for "APPLE"

\

I sense that someone who names himself 'nitro' has a fetish for things that burst.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    I'm sure it's just a formality, but I don't see why Apple should need the Apple Corps logo.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I don't see the point of them needing the Apple corp Apple logo
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Ha! Granny Smith apple is the best. It is my favourite variety and I buy them at Sainsbury's for one a day every week. Smashing now it is official. I'm afraid there is no more Macintosh apple. Sorry California (if I'm correct).
  • Reply 11 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Hell, they have the distribution channel, the promotion infrastructure and the production software, this all makes seance, Apple Records as a division of Apple Inc, Indie artists buy a one stop package, hardware, software, and publishing/publicity...who does events like Apple? who has better PR skills? now they just need to buy out Live Nation for the touring piece and they would have music locked down completely. Given the way current lables work, most artists would love a total package for 30% of their till...
  • Reply 12 of 26
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Hell, they have the distribution channel, the promotion infrastructure and the production software, this all makes seance, Apple Records as a division of Apple Inc, Indie artists buy a one stop package, hardware, software, and publishing/publicity...who does events like Apple? who has better PR skills? now they just need to buy out Live Nation for the touring piece and they would have music locked down completely. Given the way current lables work, most artists would love a total package for 30% of their till...

Yeah, only problem is that the MPAA would see the problems that the RIAA is facing against Apple and would be certain not to let iTunes dominate. Thereby making for more piracy of their movies, where they eventually say to Apple, we also need you to do movies and TV shows for us because we're not rich enough. At that point, we're in nirvana, because then Apple can just put everything in DRM-free format Hey, I can dream, right?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK. It's official. Apple's now bigger than the Beatles.

a million yrs ago Lennon said almost the same

Thing .

good one

• Reply 15 of 26
    I remember when the Beatles launched Apple Records into a staid, boring, corporate music industry. It was a flash of inspiration, a sign that the suits were no longer totally in control, and that young people could do things their way. The fresh crisp natural apple label was totally original, a symbol of 4 lads thinking different.

That this should become part of the world's greatest corporation who have pioneered thinking different and spawned so much of today's lifestyle is thoroughly appropriate. I hope they use the Granny Smith in any area where it can continue it's original message.

I bet Lennon would love the iPad.......
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Ha! Granny Smith apple is the best. It is my favourite variety and I buy them at Sainsbury's for one a day every week. Smashing now it is official. I'm afraid there is no more Mackintosh apple. Sorry California (if I'm correct).

IMHO:

Galas and Jonagolds are much better. Granny Smiths are great in Pies.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    ... is the "Big Apple". How much will they pay New York to acquire control of thát name?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Yeah, seriously, what do they need those logos for? Maybe just to be sure there won't be any more litigation...
  • Reply 18 of 26
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Dear Apple. This is just a picture of an Apple. Sorry. Patent denied.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I can only suppose that beside the conclusion of the whole deal with Apple Corps..

It is to secure the logo so some other company doesn't buy it and start using it. It is simply a protective move.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    In the end there can be only one.